CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Alexander Schmellerhine

Profile:
Paleo Diet and Crohn's Disease/ Colitis

This is a question for you CrossFit-Paleo folks who may suffer from Crohn's Disease or Colitis. I am interested in trying out the Paleo diet for a month, yet wanted to get a heads-up as to how it may affect my Crohn's Disease. Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance. AS
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Drake Deming

Profile:
Re: Paleo Diet and Crohn's Disease/ Colitis

I would consult your doctor.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Given that Crohn's is an autoimmune disease and affects the bowel in particular, and that the lectins in grains, especially wheat, are known to affect the bowels, I'd say what do you have to lose? Cordain has been publishing material on the paleodiets efficacy in alleviating symptoms of other autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.

Last edited by Scott Allen Hanson; 06-17-2009 at 09:07 AM..
Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Hanneke Schiffleger

Profile:

I have colitis for 6 years now and I have a lot of experience with it and the paleo diet. Usually your intestines will improve. However I found out that nuts and especially large amounts are not working for me. A few a day is not a problem though. So it's a matter of trying out.
The other thing is that I cannot take large amounts of raw veggies, I have no problem stir frying or preparing them otherwise. So again, you have to try out what will work for you. Overall I think you will like it.

Don't forget the fish oil!!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

My colitis - very distal, not so much like Crohn's - definitely improved with paleo eating habits. It's not a cure-all for me. I thought it was, but job/training/life stresses combined to bring a flare up after 8 months of good symptom-free paleo living (and gradual reduction in medications - which probably made me more susceptible to relapse when the stress-bomb went off).

2nd the emphasis on fish oil. Wrt high-fiber foods like nuts and veggies, they are far less of an issue when symptoms are controlled. In fact, I believe they are beneficial then. However, low-residue (i.e., low fiber) diets are typically indicated when symptoms are prevalent. (Again, I'd expect that this could be different for Crohn's.)

I highly recommend the dietary change. Most folks will recommend you dive in and see what happens. (Provided you continue to get your vegetables, calories, and rest, there's no harm to it.) You could also do it gradually. Cut out excess sugar, then grains, then dairy, then legumes over the course of a month or more. You can change the order up on these (e.g., give up grains, dairy, legumes, then dark chocolate) and/or retain some of them, if you don't want to go whole hog. The gradual switch is to help you identify which foods you might be most sensitive to, so you can modulate your diet later, if strict paleo isn't for you. If, however, you're ready to dive right into full-blown paleo, you can always figure out your sensitivities by introducing those foods for a period of time, or not if strict paleo works and makes you happy.

Dr. Garrett Smith answered some questions about this on Pmenu with additional links worth checking out (wfs). Robb Wolf has also written about his experience with Paleo and ulcerative colitis.

Last edited by Patrick Haskell; 06-17-2009 at 11:35 AM..
Old 06-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Dawn Kelly

Profile:

I've had UC for a little over two years now ranging through various states of controlled symptoms. Last year I tried something called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet which is recommended by many in the UC/Chron's community. I did see many benefits from it, but I was frustrated by not being able to lose weight on it and feeling like it wasn't fueling my workouts like I needed. Big difference then was that running was my primary form of exercise with little or no strength training at all.

Fast forward to today and I am symptomatic and actually going back to the GI tomorrow. Anticipating a second round of prednisone. The pred worked great the first time, but as soon as I came off it I started having symptoms again. I'd been doing CrossFit for a couple of weeks and decided to look into the nutrition component of it. Imagine my surprise to see the Paleo diet and then learn that it is very similar to SCD (main difference being SCD allows some beans and also yogurt and cheese). Knowing (from past experience) this type of diet will help my UC and also is the preferred fuel for CF---I am really excited to give it a go and see how it can help me improve both my health and fitness.

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Brett Dartt

Profile:

when i eat mostly paleo it seems to help but the biggest help for me is taking probiotics and eliminating dairy, but everyone is different. my flareups become almost minimal and leave me much faster when i get rid of the milk and ice cream. and get worse within a day of having dairy.

but like i said everyone is different
Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Alexander Schmellerhine

Profile:

Thanks to all those who replied. I bought the Cordain Paleo Diet book yesterday. I was encouraged to see a testimonial by someone with Crohn's as well as the diet being touted to help combat autoimmune disease symptoms. I am doubly encouraged by the this new (to me) CrossFit cyber community. Much love. AS
Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
Chris LaLanne

Profile:

Alexander,
I am confident you will find health after adopting The Paleo Diet. Simply put, it is the way we are supposed to eat!

At LALANNE FITNESS, we have had impressive results following The Paleo Diet. Acne, IBS, chronic fatigue syndrome, insomnia, migraine headaches, weight loss and muscle gain have all been reported after only a few weeks!

I've got some great tools for making this way of eating a part of your lifestyle. Shoot me an email and I'll send over food lists, meal plans and a journal!

www.lalannefitness.com

Remember...
"Anything in life is possible, if you make it happen!"-Jack LaLanne

Last edited by Chris LaLanne; 07-05-2009 at 12:11 AM..
Old 07-05-2009, 02:10 AM   #10
Justin Shipley

Profile:

I dunno but I'm sure the WAPF site will have something to say on it; try this

wfs

www.westonaprice.org