CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
Christie Warner

Profile:
Re: Paleo Diet and Crohn's Disease/ Colitis

My husband was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease at the age of 18. He is now 29. He has had two surgeries, one literally saved his life. He has not had an attack in almost 10 years, which continues to baffle his gastroenterologists. I must also add that he is not on medication and hasn't been for at least 8 years. His doctors tried like heck to get him on Remicaid and due to his lifestyle (outdoorsman), he refused. He works out three days a week (Crossfit/Norcal programming) and eats lots of protein and fat and only eats wheat a couple of times a week, usually in the form of pizza/biscuits.

When I first met him, we both just found out about the primal/paleo lifestyle. We continued to do research and experiment, but eventually figured out that we felt better and performed better with that way of life. His experience with Crohn's disease has honestly improved since that point. There are three things that I have witnessed that seem to help him MANAGE it (even flare ups). He goes most days with very minimal pain. But: He'll be the first to tell you, if you're going to have an attack, you will and there is most likely nothing you can do about it. Can you do your part to help decrease that chance? YES.

Omega-3 fish oils BIG TIME (I also give my horse omega-3s for gut health as it is proven to prevent colic and other intestinal issues in equine clinical trials)
A really good probiotic (not just acidophilus)
Water with lemon whenever you can stand it.
Reduce intake of grains, wheat, corn
Kefir/Greek Yogurt - Full Fat and plain
Kambuchas

Recently, his uncle (a gastro doc.) told him to steer clear of ibuprofen, which affects the intestines adversely. It'll reduce inflammation in all other areas of the body, except for the intestines.

Of course, this is all very individual. Find what works for you. I really hope this helps, though. I hate that you and my husband as well as others have to endure such a disease. But look on the bright side - it definitely builds character.

Last edited by Christie Warner; 11-11-2011 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #22
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie Lawson View Post
Recently, his uncle (a gastro doc.) told him to steer clear of ibuprofen, which affects the intestines adversely. It'll reduce inflammation in all other areas of the body, except for the intestines.
this is true. does your husband use voltaren for joint and other problems when they arise? if he doesn't look into it. it has been a god send since i have been told to never take nsaids again. its an anti inflammatory in gel form that you rub on the affected area. used with tylenol its awesome
Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #23
Christie Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
this is true. does your husband use voltaren for joint and other problems when they arise? if he doesn't look into it. it has been a god send since i have been told to never take nsaids again. its an anti inflammatory in gel form that you rub on the affected area. used with tylenol its awesome
No, he doesn't! But I will pass this on to him because Tylenol alone does absolutely nothing for him. Thanks!