CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Zeeshan Parvez

Profile:
Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

I have read at many places that when you train a muscle you have a 15-20% carry over of strength at a joint in the particular ROM (Range of motion). So if a person used isometrics for a given exercise and used 5-8 different angles he could theoretically strengthen the joint at all the angles right? Wouldn't it be a good way of breaking through plateaus?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Derek Franks

Profile:
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Zeeshan,
Instead of starting a new thread every time you have a off the wall exercise idea, why don't you try it out and let us know if it works.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

wouldn't it be more functional and fun to just do the exercise, or some variant of to "break through the plateau"? I've found that exercising is far more efficient than analysi paralusis getting stronger.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
John Keiper

Profile:

Check out the book Rock Iron Steel by Steve Justa. You can get it from Ironmind. He has a great section on isometrics from a very in the trenches perspective. Also Louie Simmons has a great article on his site. Westside-Barbell.com. Louies stuff is a little more scientic and references the research of the Russians and Bugarians. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Zeeshan

Where do you train in Lahore?

I used to live in Defence.

Jerry
Old 08-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Training like this would take a LOT of time. I'm thinking 8 different angles in the front lever. How do you go about doing this without overtraining. See, where I'm getting at.

It's much more efficient to just dynamic exercises throughout the rest of the ROM than what is necessary to hold the position.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

Ross Enamait (fit by anyones definition) has a chapter on isometrics in his book Never Gymless. He says:
Quote:
Many recent studies suggest that isometrics will produce strength over a range of 15 to 20 degrees on either side of the training angle. Armed with this knowledge, plus a little commonsense, we can quickly develop a protocol that will allow for strength development throught the entire range of motion
and
Quote:
Suppose you are working on a new personal record on the bench press. Unfortunately you can only press the bar six inches off your chest. At this point, you become stuck. You can use isometrics to push through this sticking point. You can train this exact joint angle with isometrics.
So, YES you can build strength by doing multiple angles, and YES it can help you break through plateaus, according to Ross (who I believe).

But, that being said I agree with Robert: the actual motion is more fun and more functional so, like isolation exercises, I think isometrics are only an efficient use of your time if they are addressing a very specific deficiency in your training.

And I ALSO agree with Derek. Take a nod from Gant and use yourself as a guinea pig. Think isometrics could help your shoulder press? Make a program, follow it for a month and report back.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #8
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Hear hear. Theoretical discussions certainly have their place, but Crossfit is about Black Box fitness, right? We don't care so much about the WHY as much as the results. Then we can think about the WHY, once we've established that this is a worthwhile area of investigation. Without some data to back up the theories, I doubt your ideas are going to gain too much traction here somehow.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:05 AM   #9
Zeeshan Parvez

Profile:

Quote:
Instead of starting a new thread every time you have a off the wall exercise idea, why don't you try it out and let us know if it works.
I have been into weightlifting, bodybuilding, etc. for 10 years now. I don't write down ideas if I haven't tried them. I have tried hundereds of things. Some which work and others which do not. I talk about the ideas which have worked for me but I PUPROSELY pose a question in a manner which does not make me seem arrogant. And I do so to see what input I get from others. Just because something works for me does not mean it will work for everyone. So I ask to see how many people it has worked for. Next time I think I will start a thread with the heading 'Isometrics works if done like this and here is WHY.' Lets see what kind of reaction I get then.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:20 AM   #10
Zeeshan Parvez

Profile:

Quote:
Check out the book Rock Iron Steel by Steve Justa. You can get it from Ironmind. He has a great section on isometrics from a very in the trenches perspective. Also Louie Simmons has a great article on his site. Westside-Barbell.com. Louies stuff is a little more scientic and references the research of the Russians and Bugarians. Hope this helps.
Could you give me the Louie Simmons link on the subject