CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Tye Sydnor

Profile:
Slight aches and Pain

I'm 2 weeks in, and although I'm confident that the aches I'm having are due to my lack of mobility in my ankles and especially my upper body for movements like thrusters and over heads. Just curious at what point do these minor aches and pain in knees and joints go away or is there some thing i can do?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: Slight aches and Pain

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you are experiencing what most of us go through. I call it the "is it always going to be like this" feeling.

The answer is no, with a little bit of work.

Google mobility WOD and try out some exercises that are geared toward your problem areas. I also have trouble with my hips and ankles, and got tired of waiting for the flexibility to "just come." it seems to me that after a year, if it was going to come, it would have by now.

I have had great results increasing flexibility and mobility using just some lacrosse balls to work on my problem spots, and doing some rolling out prior to and after my WOD's. I'm 41 and don't see thr young guys doing this, but it's what works for me. That, and plenty of protein to offset the soreness.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:
Re: Slight aches and Pain

I try and work on my flexibility throughout the day. I'm def contributing to the cult stereotype as I try and stretch at random times. Mostly because I kicked my own butt the day before. But anyway, I squat down when standing around or waiting in line and push my knees apart with my elbows and slowly rock to work on my ankles, I do dislocates with copper pipe at work, when I cross my legs sitting down before a meeting I put weight on my knee to stretch the glutes the list goes on. I try to stay limber because it keeps some of the soreness at bay and it allows me full mobility during training. This stuff is a lifestyle so I treat it as such and don't just keep it confined to an hour a day. Stay limber, take ice bathes, work out those kinks, then go Spartan mode again tomorrow.