CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Keith Graves

Profile:
Officers: Can you workout on duty?

To all my peace officer brothers and sisters:

Our department lets us workout on duty if time allows only if you are on SWAT. That's OK with me, since I am on SWAT.

However, that doesn't help out the others that are not on SWAT(about 99% of the officers). Are there any departments out there that let their officers work out on duty? If your dept. does, how did you get them to allow it? I am looking for how the workout rotations are done, workers comp issues that may have come up, and any written material like proposal papers that can help me get it started.

Thanks guys.

Keith
Old 10-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Michael Manisca

Profile:
Re: Officers: Can you workout on duty?

My department doesnt allow it (also only if swat/tac)... BUT

I end up cooking meals prior to my shift days, bring them with me to work, and manipulate the time im allotted to eat lunch to workout... I eat my lunch sitting in my car during regular patrol time.

edited to add: This also allows me to eat when I need to eat, whether im stuck on a call or not.

My department has absolutely no policy oh physical fitness. You can be as fat and out of shape as you want to be. If they did mandate physical standards, im sure our union would then fight to have exercise time built into our shift days.

Last edited by Michael Manisca; 10-14-2007 at 07:19 PM..
Old 10-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:

Keith- We at Sac. Sheriff's Dept. are in the process of going to the "1 hour/shift to workout" for all personnel. One of our Lt's is smoothing out the plan as we speak, so we imagine it will be implemented by the new year. We have also begun to incorporate CF into our academy and will try and implement it into the daily workouts, at least as a recommended method of fitness instead of the BB routine. THis will be a God send for those of us who are hardcore CF junkies and/or certified to train CF methods. The department admin has seen the light in having ALL of their personnel fitter than the bad guys and wants to step it up to meet those demands and retain a confident workforce in a busy department. The new program will also include a yearly physical test that must be passed. As we get things ironed out and in place, I will keep you posted on how it is working.

Right now our specialty units, (SED, K9, Aero, Warrant/Fugitive, NarcGangs, Etc.) have the leeway to workout during their shift. I work K9 and since we, and the other spec. units, are not part of patrol, we respond to our specific calls only. That leaves us plenty of time to train ourselves tactically, dogwise, physically,or whatever.

We both know there is leeway in how much fitness is gained by some peoples styles of working out, but I also believe that something is better than nothing and it puts us on the right path.

I do know that Roseville PD has a workplace/shift designated workout system in place already and they have been using it for the past few years. If you can contact someone there, they may be able to get you some info quicker than I can. Take care and stay safe!!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Monique T. Ames

Profile:

Keith,
When I was a cop in FL, my dept allowed it for ALL officers. It had to be on your lunch break, which was an hour. You had to call out of duty during lunch anyway. If you did your training in the station gym, they allowed you an extra 30 minutes for lunch (cameras prove you were there and so did the auto key entry). It was a very sweet deal.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
Brian Mansfield

Profile:

My department allows all officers to train 1 hour per shift, three days per week. We currently work 5 on 2 off.

It was negotiated into our contract some time ago.

However, it is at the Sgt's discretion. (i.e. manpower constraints, busy shift, etc.)

We are changing to 12 hour shifts in January and hopefully we will be able to train every shift.

-Brian.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Keith Graves

Profile:

Thanks for the info, guys.

Ian, I am just down the road from you in Livermore (Alameda County). One of our guys went to Roseville a while ago. I will call him and get the info on how they implemented their program.

It is nice to see that at least some departments are letting some people work out on duty. The firefighters get to, it only makes sense for the cops to do it too.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Scott Kendall

Profile:

My department allows officers 1.5 hours twice a work week to work out. Although this can often be obstructed by a huge call load or manpower issue. Its not the best program but it beats a lot of them. I think any workout time the department gives is better than none.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
Jason Arsenault

Profile:

My dept is lunchtime can be used to workout. Where I used to work, we could work out anytime and have our breaks but that was a significantly smaller dept.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Stephen Solano

Profile:

My dept. does not have a fitness hour. I work graveyards so I sneak off to a local high school and do a cindy lite.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
Ryan Kosh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Carver View Post
Keith- We at Sac. Sheriff's Dept. are in the process of going to the "1 hour/shift to workout" for all personnel. One of our Lt's is smoothing out the plan as we speak, so we imagine it will be implemented by the new year. We have also begun to incorporate CF into our academy and will try and implement it into the daily workouts, at least as a recommended method of fitness instead of the BB routine. THis will be a God send for those of us who are hardcore CF junkies and/or certified to train CF methods. The department admin has seen the light in having ALL of their personnel fitter than the bad guys and wants to step it up to meet those demands and retain a confident workforce in a busy department. The new program will also include a yearly physical test that must be passed. As we get things ironed out and in place, I will keep you posted on how it is working.

Right now our specialty units, (SED, K9, Aero, Warrant/Fugitive, NarcGangs, Etc.) have the leeway to workout during their shift. I work K9 and since we, and the other spec. units, are not part of patrol, we respond to our specific calls only. That leaves us plenty of time to train ourselves tactically, dogwise, physically,or whatever.

We both know there is leeway in how much fitness is gained by some peoples styles of working out, but I also believe that something is better than nothing and it puts us on the right path.

I do know that Roseville PD has a workplace/shift designated workout system in place already and they have been using it for the past few years. If you can contact someone there, they may be able to get you some info quicker than I can. Take care and stay safe!!
Do you know how they're planning on incorporating this into the patrol schedule? (start an hour later/end an hour earlier, still keeping 4/10s? etc.)