CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:
Re: Knee Sleeves

I've had knee problems in the past (sprains / ligament sprains). I have a garage gym and it's going to be getting cold decently soon...thoughts on getting knee sleeves to keep the joints warm?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #32
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Do it to it.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #33
Aaron MacDougall

Profile:

I am a big fan of the titan sleeves but the Eleiko sleeves look promising for the price. Another plus is that they are white and will hide my chalk monster hand prints when pulling them up/adjusting lol.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #34
Tye Sydnor

Profile:
Smile Re: Knee Sleeves

So I got my Rehband 7mm Knee Sleeves Saturday and I wore them today for my 6am workout. One word: AWESOME!!! The joints stayed warm, they felt great. Thanks so much for all of the advice.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #35
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye Sydnor View Post
So I got my Rehband 7mm Knee Sleeves Saturday and I wore them today for my 6am workout. One word: AWESOME!!! The joints stayed warm, they felt great. Thanks so much for all of the advice.

I got mine today and used it during my workout (after running). Hit a new pr for power cleans by 20lbs AFTER deadlifts *last two power cleans were basically squat cleans*. It would have been 25 lbs, but couldn't get under the last one and my 20 minutes to find a 1 rep max was up - also not doing 1 rep for every lift probably played into me not getting the extra 5 lbs.

I'm loving them, though. Knees were kept warm and they were not bothering me at all. Great buy.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #36
SP

Profile:  

I have used the 7mm rehbands a fair amount from September last year, haven't used them since July for various reasons:-

- They hold sweat really well, so they stink to high heaven after I used them. Various washing methods had no effect.

- The thickness inhibited my end range knee flexion in the squat. This was the main reason I stopped wearing them.

I have worn these since March http://store.hookgrip.com/shop/hookgrip-knee-sleeves/ (WFS)

I get the same warmth in the joint, without any smell or ROM inhibition, for a fraction of the cost. I'd imagine these would be good for Crossfit.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #37
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Struan, if you're ever in the market again you might give these a shot:http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=481&pid=3013 (wfs)

They're not as thick and do not impede range of motion. They're also not neoprene so you can toss them in the washer and dryer. Should take care of the stink.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #38
SP

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
I have used the 7mm rehbands a fair amount from September last year, haven't used them since July for various reasons:-

- They hold sweat really well, so they stink to high heaven after I used them. Various washing methods had no effect.

- The thickness inhibited my end range knee flexion in the squat. This was the main reason I stopped wearing them.

I have worn these since July http://store.hookgrip.com/shop/hookgrip-knee-sleeves/ (WFS)

I get the same warmth in the joint, without any smell or ROM inhibition, for a fraction of the cost. I'd imagine these would be good for Crossfit.
Edited.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #39
SP

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Struan, if you're ever in the market again you might give these a shot:http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=481&pid=3013 (wfs)

They're not as thick and do not impede range of motion. They're also not neoprene so you can toss them in the washer and dryer. Should take care of the stink.
Not sure if I'll move away from my current knee sleeves. They are really good.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #40
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
If you are squatting every day, you are probably not squatting at maximal loads, so knee wraps shouldn't be necessary - at least not the type of wraps and the tightness of the wrapping that is used for powerlifting.
I know this is a few weeks old and this is irrelevant to the thread, or where it has gone over 4 pages, but I haven't circled back here in a while.

Sean Dunston - no part of my response to Tye's question was meant for you. He said he just started doing CROSSFIT, is getting kitted up, and wants to know about knee sleeves.

He never said anything, at that point at least (maybe he did come back and say more later) about power lifting or old injuries.

I'll reference your own response that I quoted above. What a 43yr old powerlifter with previous knee injuries and is still moving heavy weights needs on his knees is very different than what a beginning crossfitter needs.

Like yourself, I'm an Ex PL with knee injuries (3 surgeries, 6 total tears, need to have another surgery in the not so distant future). When I move big weights, I use wraps for support. If I get that familiar tinge of pain (different from my daily chronic knee pain that will never go away), then I wear sleeves just to keep them warm. I'm not convinced that sleeves = wraps, as I haven't found a sleeve yet that I believed was.

But again, we weren't having a conversation about power lifting or knee injuries... Your situation had nothing to do with this conversation at the outset.

Last edited by Dakota Base; 11-18-2013 at 11:37 AM..