CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
(Another) Obesity News Article

Sorry for another, because I know they're getting old, but I saw this one posted on Performance Menu, and it definitely takes the double-layer, death-by-chocolate cake. According to this study, 100% of America will be overweight by 2040.

http://health.msn.com/reports/obesit...ntid=100168553
(Work/Family Safe.)

Quote:
Of course, the 100-percent-fat stat is just a scientific estimate. It’s based on analyzing past and current statistical trends in the population and assuming that they will continue at the same rate. In reality, not every single person will be fat. There will always be a handful of people that stays lean and fit (running marathons, hanging out at health clubs, shunning fast food).

But while these folks may never become officially overweight, they might still pack on a few extra pounds. It’s difficult for anyone—active or not—to withstand what Kelly Brownell, an obesity researcher and the director of the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University in New Haven, Conn. famously called the “toxic environment” that makes it easy to succumb to poor food choices, overeating and increased inactivity.

Edit: Oh man, I just had the weirdest idea... Babies born obese! Is that even possible?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: (Another) Obesity News Article

So if things keep going the way these people suggest, then all the overweight people will eventually become obese, and the obese would eventually become so fat that they can no longer live, in which case the world will become 100% fit and the world will be populated by Crossfiters. And then Santa Cruz will become the capital of America and Coach Glassman would be elected president.

And when that happens, I will have but one question.

"Can I have Seattle?"
Old 09-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

I'm guessing then Mississippi would go first as it is the state with the highest obesity rate, I therefore claim it.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Zach Wright

Profile:

I definitely agree that obesity is a big problem in our country. But my question is why is BMI used as an indicator when it doesn't take body fat into account. Using that calculation some of the strongest people on the earth with body fat in the teens could still be considered overweight. Am I missing something?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

BMI is only used in the case of the unfit. For athletes, BF% is more important.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Derek and George
I'm guessing all the amusement parks will just widen their tracks, all clothes will come in "Biggie Sizes," the benches at McDonald's will only seat two instead of four, and everyone will go on their happy way.