CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Michael Dries

Profile:
Garage Platform, plywood, parking and water

I tried searching, I really did.

Here's the setup. I have a decent gym setup in my 2 car garage out back. I have to move the cars out but I have a ton of room to do whatever I want.

I have two options.

1) (Ideally) Build an 8x8 platform of plywood + stall mats. My concern is that when we park the cars, the car bumpers will be hanging over the platform, therefore, rain and snow may drop onto the platform. (Snow will fall off the car and possibly pool under the tires and seep into the plywood.) This is obviously not a good situation. Would a product like a water sealer help, or am I doomed? I COULD always build an 8x6 platform to keep the edge of it away from the cars. Again not ideal though.

2) Forget the platform and just lay a bunch of stall mats down. I don't see a problem with the mats + water. Though this is a much more expensive solution to the problem.

Thoughts? Insights? anyone have a similar situation?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Garage Platform, plywood, parking and water

get a waterproof tarp to cover the platform when you're not using it
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Mike Hollister

Profile:

I would just put some mats down. Unless you need to bolt something to the platform like I do with my R3, the stall mats don't "give" enough to really throw off a sub 150KG snatch IMO.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

We have a guy at our gym that can snatch 160kg and he definitely doesn't like snatching on just rubber mats and moves to the platform. Now me personally, I can't snatch 150kg so I can't comment on how much give it has for me. But I'll take my friend's word for it that it's not good. I can definitely say that I notice it on snatches above 95kg and while I haven't missed a lift because of it, I definitely do not feel anywhere near as stable as I do when on the platform.

Then again, all I do is olympic lifting so if you're just crossfitting with the occasional weightlifting session here and there, you probably won't notice/care. I just figured a tarp is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of mats.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
Michael Dries

Profile:

Hah no I won't be putting anything close to 100kg over my head anytime soon.

Really I'm not crossfiting either. Mostly Starting Strength,5/3/1, style work. My conditioning consists of box jumps, kb work, sprints and the prowler.

I happen to like the feel of wood under me when I squat and dead lift though.

Anyone have success with treated or marine plywood?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
David Shamah

Profile:

i would just lay the stall mats and forget about the wood.
i also dont crossfit but i do strength straining similar to you and i found the plywood unnecessary.
however if the surface of your garage is uneven then your going to want to lay a few pieces of cheap plywood as the bottom layers to try and even out the surface.

you can also lay the cheap plywood on the bottom and cover the top with a piece of carpet which keeps you more stable when deadlifting and backsquating.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Bryan Weingart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
We have a guy at our gym that can snatch 160kg and he definitely doesn't like snatching on just rubber mats and moves to the platform. Now me personally, I can't snatch 150kg so I can't comment on how much give it has for me. But I'll take my friend's word for it that it's not good. I can definitely say that I notice it on snatches above 95kg and while I haven't missed a lift because of it, I definitely do not feel anywhere near as stable as I do when on the platform.

Then again, all I do is olympic lifting so if you're just crossfitting with the occasional weightlifting session here and there, you probably won't notice/care. I just figured a tarp is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of mats.
I notice a difference when I lift at home (just mats) vs when I lift at my coaches (platforms), not so much on snatches (best is 120kg) but on clean and jerks. When the weight gets over 135 or so, I just don't like the mats

but on things like squats, I don't really notice much of a difference, so I am sure mats will be fine for OPs needs

Last edited by Bryan Weingart; 10-11-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Adam Molnar

Profile:

I just put a piece of plywood inbetween the stall mats, so the surface is leveled and stable.