CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Dave Miltz

Profile:
My wife and I have been on the Zone (we're not real strict but shoot for the right ratio of macro-nutrients at our given protein requirement) for about six months. We are planning a backpacking trip this Sept. and are looking for ideas to help us with meal planning for a weeks worth of backbacking. Also I wonder if we should adjust our protein requirement? We used the .8 multiplier for our day to day needs and that seems to be working well, but will the work of backpacking necessitate bumping up to the 1.0 multiplier?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Since you are hauling it in, you'll have to go with what you can carry.

Flax seed/meal (super fat + fiber), oats, dried fruits and meats, pemmican, nuts, olive oil. Egg white powder or whey works as well. Big thing is fiber, people tend to not get enough out in the back country and wonder why they can't take a #2 after a week in the woods. REI has some really good food meals you can carry in that can be combined to fit Zone-like meals, I'm sure other places do as well. Lots of water, water purification tablets or equipment to purify water.

I would stick to whatever protein requirements you had before, if you aren't strict with your ratios you shouldn't have a problem with just backpacking it, especially if your regular workouts are WODs.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Beau Bray

Profile:
I was actually just thinking about the same think. That's the reason I popped onto the forum just now.

I figured jerky, nuts, and dried fruit would be good for starters, but I was looking for more ideas.

-Beau
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Foil packed tuna, chicken, etc. work well for protein. As George said, fiber/carbs are problematic. I've never backpacked more than a few days at a time and fresh veggies were still out of the question. That leaves dried fruit, dried or freeze dried veggies, oats, etc. for carbs and fiber. Nuts and oils for fats. Jerky's a good protein source, although only if you don't mind feed-lot beef (or make your own from game or grass-fed).
Old 08-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
Dave Miltz

Profile:
Thanks for your suggestions. The foil packed fish and chicken is a great idea. No heavy can to haul out. Nuts and dried fruit are naturals, but how do you use flax seed meal and/or whey?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:
Flaxseed is usually added to something, say a couple tablespoons on oats. For your trip, I'd bring flax meal in an airtight container it is less stable and throw it in the pot with just about anything. 1 Tbsp a day is enough fiber to keep things moving well, and provides a ton of energy and fiber. It has a nut and butter taste due to the oils in seed.

Some info on flax (w/f safe): http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/english/in...1&mp=nutrition

Most whey you just add water or milk.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
Nick Cummings

Profile:

US Wellness Meats sells pemmican bars http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok?category=Beef+Jerky%2C+Franks%2C+Sa u sage%2C+Bacon++%26+Pemmican
(Safe Link). These bars have 380 kcals and 20 grams of protein. They are made from grassfed beef. Seems like a good option to me. Also t-nation.com sells some of the better protein bars if you don't mind supporting a website that openly bashes CrossFit. Although not ideal bananas, bagels, dried fruit, oatmeal, and packaged noodles make decent carb sources on the trail. For fats go with nuts, hell make yourself a killer trail mix.