CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Mike Gin

Profile:
Deadlift Form Check

Well, I hit a new PR (343) during the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 death by deadlift WOD. But I know the lift where I did hit that PR was awful (so awful I won't post it). Did the jerk thing to get it started, shoulders dropped, hips moved first, etc. But still managed to lift it fully so I'll take it at 160# BW. But I'm sure I will injure myself if I continue to lift like that.

So instead I'm posting my first PR of that WOD. This is 338#. It was a better lift, but far from perfect. Based on what I've read, here is my critique:

1) Back angle too low and not quite flat enough
2) Hips travel first
3) Weight drifted forward so couldn't drive through heels

I'm sure there is more. Don't have a ton of experience doing these lifts. Hopefully I'm not too far off. I'm a shorter torso guy and I've read that makes deadlifting a bit more challenging. I'd like to reach the 2.5X BW goal, but that will definitely require better form. Your input is appreciated.

http://gingym.blogspot.com/2009/06/65-wod.html (w/f/s)

Thanks!

Mike
Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Lou Cabales

Profile:
Re: Deadlift Form Check

Notice how bar drifts forward at beginning of lift. This (among other things) tells me set up is a little off, it looks like your bar set up is slightly deep/ inferior to scapular vertical plane. Set up looks hip high, if you (squatted) slightly deeper to where your shins touch bar it also put you in better start position. Watch videos in exercises and demos section see all things Rip' and Kyle Starett set up, along with great info in journal. The videos will explain set up better! Proper set up will get bar closer to your body. Bar should "skin" you the whole lift. from shins to thighs touching your body. While you do inhale prior to lift, I'd like to see a "BIG" lung full of air, then pressurize chamber (as you do). More air = stronger pressurized cylinder= stronger more stable core.

Compare lumbar curve at beginning of lift to curve while standing. While lower back "tension" curve isn't horrible it needs attention, a good cue for that is "big chest," which may fix a couple of issues. "puff chest out", tension body, increase tension in "BIG CHEST," this triggers the movement of bar off ground then DRIVE !!! the lift up. "Big chest" will also help fix other form issues.

Finally lowering the weight, look how form is different on lowering, it should look like video is getting played backwards. Same amount of tension (and attention to form) on way down as up.

Overall good, strong lift. I predict INSTANT increase in PR with form corrections.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Mike Gin

Profile:

Thanks Lou I will do more studying up on the lift as you suggested. Funny, I figured it was a dead "lift" so once I got the lift done figured just control it enough so you don't fully drop the dang thing. But after watching other videos, I see how the return to the floor is basically the lift in reverse.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Carlo Mattia

Profile:

Mike,
your starting point was your down fall in regards to proper form
bar on shins "set" your back you never did (I think that P.R. was in your head) when I say "set" I mean a good lower lumbar curve, lat's pulled back shoulders in front of the bar
next your hips and shoulders should rise at the same rate by extending your knees yours did not -thats where you said your weight shifted to the balls of your feet-your hips came up first and then you were pulling with your spine carrying the bulk of the load not good
if your starting position is jacked up then the rest of your lift is jacked up
with a good set up position think you are standing with your collar bones leading the way
going up knees, hips coming down hips knees bar stays against your legs the whole time
best of luck hope I helped out

FATIGUE MAKES COWARDS OUT OF MEN
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Mike Gin

Profile:

Thanks Carlo! All input is appreciated. Most of these lifts I don't have a lot of experience with and I tend to try to do whatever it takes to make the lift - even if that is using bad form (which obviously isn't the right thing to do). So I'm working on form vs. just trying to target a bigger number. Did the back squat WOD last night and didn't come close to my PR, but I focused so much on form and the number I did hit was probably a better reflection of the real PR.

My next DL's will be better...