CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Larry Cox

Profile:
1st Time at an Affiliate

Attended my first session at an affiliate today (www.maxfxcrossfit.com w/f/s). Wow, what a difference.

There has been some discussion recently on the boards as to the pros and cons of paid membership to an affiliate versus doing crossfit at a vanilla gym. So I guess I'll chime in on my experience.

1st off the intensity is completely different. So much so that I would say that on my own I wasn't really doing x-fit (Before visiting MaxFX, I was doing a lot of compound lifts with way too much rest in between).

2nd it keeps you honest. There was no cheating, resting, or water breaks that everyone at a vanilla gym naturally does way too much of.

3rd I get my movements corrected & critiqued.

4th its a team atmosphere.

All in all it was an extremely positive day for me. Its sort of like having your first girlfriend be a total knockout. How do you go back after that? Going to an affiliate has ruined me for any other vanilla gym.

Thanks Coach Mark, I'll see you tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Jason M Struck

Profile:
Re: 1st Time at an Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cox View Post
Attended my first session at an affiliate today (www.maxfxcrossfit.com w/f/s). Wow, what a difference.

1st off the intensity is completely different. So much so that I would say that on my own I wasn't really doing x-fit

2nd it keeps you honest.

3rd I get my movements corrected & critiqued.

4th its a team atmosphere.

Its sort of like having your first girlfriend be a total knockout. How do you go back after that? Going to an affiliate has ruined me for any other vanilla gym.
this is all absolutely true for 98% of people that really want to know. If you really want to improve, this is the path.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Amy Jo Hines

Profile:

I had this experience as well, at my affiliate I get 10 one-on-one sessions to teach me the proper forms and exercises. I have lifted weights in the past but after only 2 sessions I realize that I knew nothing before. It's also so much more motivating, as oppossed to just me (and my ill-equipped shed gym) - my coach's confidence and encouragement really help. Worth every penny.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cox View Post
1st off the intensity is completely different. So much so that I would say that on my own I wasn't really doing x-fit
This is a common response to attending a Level 1 for the first time as well. The intensity you get with a roomful of competitive Crossfit athletes can be hard to match at home.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Steven Holm

Profile:
yeah, I definitely want to get into a local affiliate soon too. I started crossfit in July doing the W.O.D. and I love it. It would be nice to have some tips on my snatch form though, and I bet I'd PR on most of my times having others there suffering with me.