CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Jason Tracy

Profile:
9 Sept 07 WOD

Is today's WOD really only 10 front squats or am I reading this wrong?

Jason
Old 09-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Brett Sammis

Profile:
Re: Today's WOD

Those are ten 1 rep maxes. Traditionally on those a lot of folks (along with the CFWU) will do a number of warmup sets. Mine looks something like this (with weight increasing as I approach 1RM):

10-10-6-4-4-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

With a 2-3 min rest in between sets.

bts
Old 09-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Gabriel Chapman

Profile:

I'm new to crossfit and was curious about this as well. My main problem is that I can't get my hands back to temper the bar when its on my front delts, they just are not big enough. So I end up crossing my arms in front of me in a modified grip to help steady the bar.

Am I right in assuming this is horribly wrong. This is fourth crossfit WOD and its great, but not having spent an in depth amount of time mastering the exercises, and with many of them being totally new it can be discouraging. Especially when the demo video shows a lady in hear mid 50's clearly front squating 6-8 plates when you have difficulty with the bar.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Jason Tracy

Profile:
Re: 9 Sept 07 WOD

Thanks Brett for the advice. I will definately do some warm up sets.

Jason
Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Steven Bourdage

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel chapman View Post
I'm new to crossfit and was curious about this as well. My main problem is that I can't get my hands back to temper the bar when its on my front delts, they just are not big enough. So I end up crossing my arms in front of me in a modified grip to help steady the bar.

Am I right in assuming this is horribly wrong. This is fourth crossfit WOD and its great, but not having spent an in depth amount of time mastering the exercises, and with many of them being totally new it can be discouraging. Especially when the demo video shows a lady in hear mid 50's clearly front squating 6-8 plates when you have difficulty with the bar.
Practice and practice more. My first front squat WOD was about a month ago and it was horrible. I believe 165 for 3 reps. Yesterday did the WOD and was able to get 225 on the front squat for one rep. Not that I got that much stronger, but my form got that much better beacause i practiced the movement almost daily (broomstick, then bar no wt.)

the crossing the arm method doesn't work for me because the weight is too far in front of the body and will pull you forward at the bottom of the movement.

I hope this helps!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Zach Wright

Profile:
Re: 9 Sept 07 WOD

If its available to you, you really want to find someone who can teach you the way to do a front squat properly. I watched all the videos I could find and still couldn't figure it out, then I finally went out to my local crossfit trainer and he set me straight. The front squat is tough, and kind of uncomfortable at first. You're only about 30 minutes from you closest CF affilliate, I'd go down there and check it out.