CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
A different kind of WOD?

For you CrossFit veterans, has Coach ever prescribed a WOD where the goal is maximum pounds lifted/pressed/whatever in a given time interval?

For example: Deadlift as many pounds as possible in 1 minute, followed by Squat, Weighted Pull-up, etc.

If he hasn't, I think it'd be a neat thing to try.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: A different kind of WOD?

FGB is a little like that.

4.2. Explain Fight Gone Bad

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. We've used this in 3 and 5 round versions. The stations are:

1. Wall-ball: 20 pound ball, 8 ft target. (Reps)
2. Deadlift high-pull: 75 pounds (Reps)
3. Box Jump: 20" box (Reps)
4. Push-press: 75 pounds (Reps)
5. Row: calories (Calories)

Tabatas have that element, too.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:

As far as I can remember there has never been a specific WOD like that although there was a challenge a while ago that was 10,000 pounds from ground to overhead in the shortest possible time.

It looked good on paper but when a few people tried it we discovered that basically you're best off with a really light weight and just lots of reps which made it a fairly poor workout if you were after any strength benefit
Old 09-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Craig Loizides

Profile:

I think what your saying is a metcon completed in a certain time where the score is the load used. There used to be some workouts like that in the first year or so on the archives. I find it fun looking through the old workouts. For example:

Saturday040124
For twenty minutes:
10 Overhead squats
20 Sit-ups

Post load and rounds to comments. Multiply load by rounds for score; e.g. 15 rounds plus 10 squats and 5 sit-ups with 135 pounds yields 15.5 rounds X 135 = 2,092.5

I also think it would be interesting to do a workout like this:
Complete scaled Fran in under 8 minutes
Score is weight used in thrusters + weight used for pullups

This would force everyone to scale to the same intensity(relative to their own ability).
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

One workout I've done is a monostructural workout for points. One exercise, 20 minutes, graduated points for each rep depending on the % of bodyweight.

For example:

20 minutes of overhead press. 1 point for a press with 1/4 bodyweight, 2 points for 1/3 bodyweight, 3 points for 1/2 bodyweight, 5 points for 2/3 bodyweight. Changes of weight during the workout are allowed.

Or you could simply count up the total tonnage lifted in 20 minutes. Just be aware as Don said that the total tonnage approach favors people who pick lighter weights - if you want to encourage heavier weights then a graduated points scale works better.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Cool, this is the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thanks guys!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Joe - on that 10,000 pounds lifted, there was a bunch of discussion about it "counting more" if you used a higher % of BW for the lifts. Kempie was one who did it with some big wts, IIRC. Say, at least 135. That'll slow people down in a hurry. You could do that, too. I could envision a WoD that said "lift as much wt overhead in 20 mins as possible - you must use at least 2/3 of your bodyweight. Post totals, loads used, and % of BW."
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Well, to be honest, I didn't really have in mind any weight restrictions. I figured that if you lessened the time period to something like 1 minute per exercise, it'd be up to you to find a weight that would satisfy that happy medium between speed and load. I don't think most people can get 10 pounds overhead in one-fifth the time they can get 50. But these ideas are great, definitely getting my creative juices flowing.