CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
In the beginners workout (http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...nnersMay03.pdf), it says to do Deadlift 15, 12, 9 on Monday (ok, weight is adjustable, can get a good workout), then run 400m on Tuesday (can adjust speed to make it tough, although I might start off doing more sets than just 1, ok). Then on Wednesday says to do push press 15, 12, 9 (again weight adjustable), then run again 400m on Thursday, then Friday it says to do 15, 12, 9 squats. Only thing is, I'm told that those are by default air squats. Is this correct? Because doing a set of 15, then 12, then 9 air squats seems rather light, even for the most untrained beginner. Me personally, I typically do 150 bodyweight squats in a row in one set (Matt Furey's Hindu Squats), and I've never tried to train myself to do more, although I probably could fairly easily. That's why the 15, 12, 9 seems extremely light.

Should I just add weight and do a back squat? Should I combine exercises (I'm considering doing the Deadlift and run the first day, then Push press and run on the second day, then the 3rd day maybe do the squats and something else like rowing (I can get access to some form of rower, although I don't know if it measures distance). Then the 4th day I can rest, and start the cycle again on the 5th, moving weight up slowly?

My background, I've trained before, and am just finishing the competitive speedskating season, so this is going to kick off my off-season with a bang. Eventually (actually sooner rather than later) I want to get into doing real CF exercises, so I should probably add in pullups, bench press, and maybe dips as well? Maybe I should just target my weak areas now and get my technique up in my strong areas?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I think in this case a weighted squat is intended.

My personal opinion: With your fitness level, I would jump right in to the main page WOD, scaling as necessary(check the Brand X website).
Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Why Hindu squats?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Be..cause... that's what I had been doing before? :-)

It was a very tough squat to do at first (it would smoke my quads), and now my quads are tough as nails, nothing really bothers them, except ~30 mph sprints on a bike for a long time.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
But how are your hammies? And glutes? And back?

Bring them along too. :happy:
Old 03-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
That's what I'm doing now :-) Plus speedskating beats the snot out of all those parts, so they've gotten their fair share of exercise, just not off-ice yet, so I plan on doing them now with CF.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
Troy Archie

Profile:
Forget the beginner routine Matt, your fit. Do the main page WOD.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I've actually started with doing the crossfit warmup at the beginning of my workouts (I can't do more than 5 dead hang pullups at a time, and the pullup bar I've got to work with is only about 2 feet from a cinder block wall, so I'm afraid to smack my knees into it, so I can't kip the pullups yet), and then going day-by-day doing the "how to squat" (that was Monday), was going to do the "how to deadlift" on Tuesday, but family obligations interrupted, which is ok because a rest day when first starting can probably keep my "oh I can do it!!!" self from overworking when I'm first starting. So I'm going to do the "how to deadlift" today, and probably Thursday do the "how to press".

The workout for now I'm going to use to ease into it is the Crossfit Foundations workout, to get a good base of what I should be doing, scaled up a little bit as necessary (like in the squats, I might substitute the low-rep air squats prescribed with the same number of rep back squats, front squats, or overhead squats.

(Message edited by Matt_DeMinico on March 07, 2007)
Old 03-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #9
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Make sure your doing squats as outlined by Coach Rippetoe in Starting Strength or that amazing thread on the board right now...get under weight, but comfortable weight that still seems too light, & just work on your form. If you can get two weeks through squats with the correct amount of hip flexibility & still feel like a champ, then you're more than ready for normal WODs.
Personally I thought I was ready for them myself, picked up SS, & quickly learned that I had the hip strength/flexibility/readiness of a cadaver.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
It's funny you say that, because 3 weeks ago my hips, glutes, lower back, etc. were inflexible as all nuts... Then the 2002 Olympic short track coach took a look at me and told me I needed to work on flexibility in those (and a few other) areas. I've been working on them nearly every day, and stretch them after every workout (never before a workout, but I'm not going to get into this. I do warm up, but not by stretching)