CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Jonathan Carter

Profile:
SS while deployed

I'm currently deployed and just beginning SS. I've been using Cliff bars to supplement my regular diet, both because they are convenient and free from the chow hall. Prior to starting this program, I'd never eat anything that processed, but now I'm eating 4 or 5 a day. Too many or is there a better option besides me sticking a cheeseburger in my pocket?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: SS while deployed

Dont they feed you meat?
I would stay away from the processed grains, but many here will tell you that while on SS you just need to eat whatever you see, until it hurts.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Jonathan Carter

Profile:

Plenty of meat. Ate a 1/2lb double cheeseburger at lunch. Cliff bars a convienent because I can stick them in my desk drawer and eat one any time there is room.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Zack Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
Dont they feed you meat?
I would stay away from the processed grains, but many here will tell you that while on SS you just need to eat whatever you see, until it hurts.
^ Yeah, they feed you plenty of food when it's meal time, but he's referring to when he's actually away from the dining hall.

A problem with Cliff bars, besides the fact that they're processed, is that they're made from soy ingredients. Do you have a fridge in or around your office? If so, I'd suggest buying a ton of whole milk from the PX (or BX, depending on your branch) labeling it if necessary, and keeping it in the fridge.

If you can't do that, then try to take fruit instead. Besides, it's easy to get sick of Cliff bars really fast.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Jonathan Carter

Profile:

They don't sell milk here, but aside from the 1200ml I drink per meal, I can usually grab 400ml to go. That's less then 2 cups, but I've been able to get a gallon down a day without much issue.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Tim Murphy

Profile:

help my dumb a@#. whats the SS diet?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #7
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murphy View Post
Not so much a diet, but a strength program. Starting Strength.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Allan Jackman

Profile:

Interesting thread... I just began the Zone today, and noticed that the Clif Bar (which I very much enjoy) throws my macronutrient balance off quickly. If I was doing long run, 10 miles, I'd eat a Clif Bar about 30 mins before running. Also, Zone says bananas are not ideal due to its high GL. The only thing that the deployment makes easy for the Zone diet is the zero alcohol rule.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
Jonathan Carter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murphy View Post
Glad to see you read the FAQ's...
Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Jonathan, I'm going to chime in real fast. Not sure where you are deployed, your MOS, or your daily schedule, IE: TOC, patrols, or just guard duty; and not sure if your overall goal with SS is simply strength or size. Granted with strength comes size IMO.

As for eating while deployed it's hard I know. There are better options then Cliff Bars, but in a pinch I believe the Macros are good. I use to agree, just eat if going for size and strength, but I have come to realize that good nutrition pays off in the long run.

When I first go to Afghanistan I was 195, 15% BF, now I am 210 15% BF. Clean diet and heavy lifting. Key was eggs, oatmeal, chicken, apples, sweet potatoes. What i would do was go to the chow hall, sit and eat as clean of a meal as I could get, then go back through and get a to go plate with each meal. You do this for 3 meals you end up with 6 and never have to buy anything from the crappy PX. Get milk each trip. Breakfast is easy for me, they always have hard boiled eggs on the cold bar, so I would put 12 in a to go tray with cantaloupe and other items. This would be my mid morning meal. See the pattern

Fill those pockets with nut mix, and beef jerky if your chow hall offers them. Eat till you can't eat anymore, but keep it clean and you will be happy with your results. Trust me, it can be done, and for 100% free at that. Lift big, eat big, get big.

Best of luck, and hope to see a journal on her soon.