CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Robert Anthony

Profile:
Full ROM on squat, press, HSPUs, pull-ups, etc...

When I am training, should I go for a full lockout in push movements like squat or HSPUs? I know that I should be going as near to lockout as possible but I worry if I lockout that I am losing the benefit of keeping added pressure/work on the muscle. It makes sense to me that during Rxd/competitions it is required due to the necessity to have everyone doing the same thing. Please don't mistake this as trying to get out of work. When I am doing 5x5 squats and I come up to just shy of knees locked, my muscles stay engaged throughout the movement. If I lockout my knees, my leg muscles are no longer completely engaged but my skeletal system takes over.

On pull movements like pull-ups, full ROM is required and better for you or at least I think so. My question really comes down to this. Will I get a better workout in squats if I do not completely lock-out my knee, same goes for push-press, and keep the muscle engaged the entire movement/set? I am new to sports methodology and appreciate your opinions.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Full ROM on squat, press, HSPUs, pull-ups, etc...

Train like you would do for competition. With good form/technique and full range of motion.

If you were doing a time under tension program I could understand not locking out to keep the muscles engaged but you're not...... and, it would be more useful to do slow eccentrics than keeping the muscles engaged like that anyway.

So no, it's not that useful at all for pretty much any training.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Robert Anthony

Profile:

So, complete full lockout each rep regardless of training scenario. I am in agreement with practice like you play mentality but just wanted to get some outside advice/opinions. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Daniel Schultz

Profile:

Lock out on all reps. Holding a weight in lockout strengthens connective tissues besides muscles
Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

For me, the last inch or two of the push press is the most difficult part. If I call it a "good" lift before I've actually locked it out, I'm just kidding myself.

Katherine
Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

People are bouncing deadlifts, flopping burpees and try to kip everything and now they are not coming to full lock out?

A lift isn't complete until you lock out the motion, just like a squat that isn't below parallel isn't squat, a deadlift that doesn't touch the floor and start from a dead stop isn't deadlift and a pull up where your chin doens't go over the bar isn't a pull up.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Robert Anthony

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
People are bouncing deadlifts, flopping burpees and try to kip everything and now they are not coming to full lock out?

A lift isn't complete until you lock out the motion, just like a squat that isn't below parallel isn't squat, a deadlift that doesn't touch the floor and start from a dead stop isn't deadlift and a pull up where your chin doens't go over the bar isn't a pull up.
What people are not coming to full lockout? Is there video so I can see and understand? I appreciate everyone's response.