CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #2441
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
How long have you been CFing? You've never ripped until last week?! Either you've been slacking or you take really, really good care of your callouses.
little over 6 months now. i don't have an unassisted pullup yet, so i've been doing deadhangs with bands. i know you can kip with them, but it's really awkward for me. on top of all that, my grip was really weak when i started, so that would give out before my hands could rip.

no slacking here :P
Old 03-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #2442
Jennifer Stone

Profile:

Quote:
How long have you been CFing? You've never ripped until last week?! Either you've been slacking or you take really, really good care of your callouses.
Been about 9 months, but just got in bands about 2 months ago. Finally got kipping down in the last couple of weeks. Jumping and deadhang just do not have the same grip effect.

I also get pinched (and today blistered) right in the middle of my palm. Does that happen to anyone else?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #2443
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Stone View Post
Been about 9 months, but just got in bands about 2 months ago. Finally got kipping down in the last couple of weeks. Jumping and deadhang just do not have the same grip effect.

I also get pinched (and today blistered) right in the middle of my palm. Does that happen to anyone else?
yup....grip the bar in the groove where your fingers meet your palm...and don't allow your skin to get bunched up in there, let the bar sit right down in the groove and you'll be all set. Find the "Rip on grip" video from coach Rip....nice video explanation.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #2444
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
little over 6 months now. i don't have an unassisted pullup yet, so i've been doing deadhangs with bands. i know you can kip with them, but it's really awkward for me. on top of all that, my grip was really weak when i started, so that would give out before my hands could rip.

no slacking here :P
I think the rips come mostly from high reps. I've seen people rip with band assisted pullups as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Stone View Post
It happens sometimes but shouldn't happen that much. You might just be gripping to hard. Try to grip with your fingers more than with your entire hand.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #2445
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
I think the rips come mostly from high reps. I've seen people rip with band assisted pullups as well.
i've heard it happens with kipping more frequently because of the movement. but in either case, my grip was terrible, so i couldn't get many reps of strict assisted pullups before having to hop down and regrip
Old 03-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #2446
Rachel Livingston

Profile:

Hi Ladies!

I spent the last two days catching up on (most) of this thread and I just wanted to say how much I admire you all! Seriously, you all have created an incredible and supportive community. It's great to see women who are serious about fitness and athletic performance but who don't let competitiveness kill camaraderie. It's a rare thing.

You all have really inspired me. I've been thinking about getting into CrossFit, but have been intimidated as all h***. Reading this thread sealed the deal for me. I'm heading over to my local affiliate this weekend to get started.

Byers - I really love your blog and your enthusiasm. Congrats on the affiliate! Renee - I'm super impressed with how much you've embraced this methodology/program and all the incredible strides you've made. Your testimonial is awesome.

Best regards,
Rachel
Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #2447
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Hey Rachel, welcome! I'm glad you decided to stop being afraid, and start being bada$$. That's what crossfit makes you, it's official

I have only ripped my hand a couple of times and I've been crossfitting for 2+ years. I have nasty callouses most of the time though. I think the time I did "eva" they ripped, but 150 kettlebell swings + 150 pullups is asking for trouble.

My hands are ugly, but it's a small price to pay
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #2448
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"My hands are ugly"

But the rest of you so gorgeous
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #2449
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Welcome to the Boards and CrossFit, Rachel! A few guys (like myself) drop by ever so often to see the progress which is occurring here. It is awesome!

Glad you are going to "drink the Kool-Aid." I was a bit hesitant at first to try CrossFit (darn near thought I would die the first time I tried a WOD). It's been six months this week; I don't think I've ever been in better shape.

Best wishes. 3, 2, 1, Go!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #2450
Helen Lawson

Profile:
Smile Re: Where's the Girl Power?

Quote:
I've been either CF'ing or SS'ing for the past 6+ month and have never ripped. Got my first deadhang a few weeks ago, but haven't attempted much kipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Urbanski View Post
I hear what your are saying though .... that is why I said ... whine, whine... get back to work.. it goes with the territory.. I call it "a rite of passage"!! I am actually proud of it because it means I am making progress!
I used to feel that way about my callusses too! Made me a tough-girl! But i didn't like the pain when i was really working hard on pull-ups & deadlifts.

I started shaving my callusses (lady shaving cream & lady razor) and it works great! No more pinching, no more pain...and yes...1 single deadhang chin-up!