CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Erik Preston

Profile:
So lo and behold, I've discovered that I am only invincible in my own mind. I've had several good weeks of progressive improvement in my clean and jerk, now, I am developing what I can only describe as a tennis elbow feeling in one arm, that gives me limited ROM in the rack position, and is just plain uncomfortable. I've noticed that this has just starting occurring since I've upped the weight a little bit. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm more interested in the mechanism of the injury than the treatment...I'm icing it and ibuprofing it to good effect--perhaps rest is the missing component...
Old 06-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I have very limited flexibility and feel the muscle tugging on the elbow every time I rack. At this point, it hasn't developed into tendonitis. Based on previous experience, though, I suspect you have an overuse injury (you talk about several weeks of use) due to lack of flexibility in your own muscle. As the weight comes down and bends your wrist and arm back, you are stretching the muscle. This pulling on the tendon can cause tendonitis and prevent the tendon from repairing itself.

That's my guess.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Yes my golfers elbow (inside of elbow, medial epichodylitis) really acts up if I don't rack the weight properly, especially noticable first heavy set.

I had a bad case in my right elbow but it has resolved at least 98% hardly ever feel it but L side is only about 75% healed so he still speaks to me on a regular, although rarely activity limiting level. It helps if I stretch a little in the rack position before cleaning, really push up elbows and make sure weight is really racked, supported by clavicle deltoid area, not arms, then start cleaning

Same advice we all know to follow
take it easy, lower volume and or weight (or temporarily stop offending movement)
ice after workout
mine also feels better if I do some self massage
Old 06-05-2006, 04:50 AM   #4
Erik Preston

Profile:
You two are right on the money. Rest/limited use and lower weight seem to be the prescription.

Have either of you had success with the classic "tennis/golf elbow" bands that you wrap around your forearm as a prophylatic device? Or does this mask pain somehow...

Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Yes, I used it for tennis elbow. It works. The principle is simple -- it shortens the effective length of the muscle and reduces the strain on the tendon. Sometimes they also prescribe something to hold the wrist immobile when you sleep because you can also flex your forearm muscles by accident (rolling over the wrong way).
Old 06-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
Erik Preston

Profile:
Good stuff, Elliot. Green light on the Oly lifts today then.

Dammit, man--are we getting old?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I'm know what you mean about getting old... but I wasn't saying that you should ignore the warning signs and just lift. You said it was just a feeling but it can worsen to a pain, and it's harder to get rid of it then. If this is a recent onset, you might want to back off for 1-2 weeks and see whether it goes away.

I developed golfer's elbow literally overnight by doing ring dips and rotating my arm too much (I misunderstood the instructions). It took a month and a cortisone shot to get rid of it. I haven't done a ring dip since and I'm only starting to ease back into close grip BP. These tendonitis things are so easy to become chronic.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
Erik Preston

Profile:
Yeah, I should have backed off completely. Went to O-lift coaching session yesterday, and the elbow pain (7 on a scale of 1-10) started in after the 2nd or 3rd clean. The band didn't really work... Took lots of ibuprofen and iced it away. I definitely don't want a chronic case of tendonitis, so I'm following your lead and sage advice and taking the week off. This sucks. My injury sort of happened overnight like yours. What's the ongoing treatment besides rest? Hot/cold therapy, PT of some sort, flexibility drills?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
Elliot Royce

Profile:
No, the band is not going to deal with heavy weights.

I had tennis elbow off and on for like 2 years. Sometimes it would clear up quickly (a week or something) and others times it would linger. I'd suggest going to see an orthopedist. They can verify the problem -- it's not necessarily tennis elbow -- and prescribe treatment. Icing treats the inflammation and should be done after exercise. After a few days, heat might be good for the blood flow and healing. There is ultrasound and electrostim, plus forearm exercises to strengthen the muscle once the inflammation is reduced, and forearm stretches to help. You need a physical therapist to help you on those.

Finally, there is a cortisone shot but that will remove the pain but not the weakness that triggered the inflammation. In fact, cortisone weakens the tendon. This would, however, remove the inflammation and it's possible, IF YOU COME BACK SLOWLY, that you'll have eliminated the problem.

I got golfer's elbow about 7 weeks ago from doing the ring dips wrong. It lasted for 4 weeks (I stayed away from dips, pushups, bench press, etc.), whereupon I went to the doctor and got a cortisone shot. I waited another 2 weeks before doing anything that might aggravate the area and then tried one set of light bench press. A few days later, when I saw that the pain had not returned, I did a little heavier set. That's the way it's got to work. And try to ice it always after exercise.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
Erik Preston

Profile:
Great stuff, Sir. Thanks for allowing me to learn from your experiences.

Time to put the bumpers away and grab the dowel...