CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
Justin Scarsella

Profile:
Updated Garage Gym Thread

Whats up guys,

I was just reading over some of the past Crossfit Journals and read the Garage Gym article again. Some of the stuff in there is a little outdated and I thought that since there are some new suppliers and such a pool of great people here that we could make a thread that has each person's recommendation for select equipment. If people would put what the equipment is, is it homemade or bought, where or who did they get it from, how much, the kind of quality, and anything else we should know about it. The Garage gym has alot of great equipment but not everything people use. I am very interested not only to see where people get their equipment but also what kind of odd equipment people use that others can try ( ie kegs, tires, sledgehammers, rope and buckets etc). I think if everyone can pool there info together we could make a nice new list with all the options for equipment and prices.

I know that most of the info is scattered throughout the board but it could be really useful to get it all in one place instead of searching a hundred different threads.

Even besides physical equipment we could name the media people use as well.

I, as most people hear would recommend

- Crossfit Journal (Obvisoulsy get this from this website)
- Starting Strength (Got mine from Amazon)
- Practical Programming (Also from amazon)
- There is an article titled "Iron Will" by Orison Swett Marden that someone recommended somewhere else on the board that is awesome to read (free on the internet)
- Mastering the Zone (Amazon)
- Enter the Zone (amazon)

For actual equipment I have made
-the parallette bars which cost me like $20 dollars only because I had to buy the pvc cuters; Great tool; Don't forget to get the glue for the PVC though (speaking out of experience, Fell when the bottom piece came out)
- The nike + ipod arm holder is great, it doesnt slip and is very secure (Dicks ~$25)

Thanks guys,

Justin
Old 10-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Gary Wimsett

Profile:
Re: Updated Garage Gym Thread

There's a pretty solid list at this W/F/S link to Crossfit San Diego:

http://crossfitweekendwarriors.typepad.com/homegym.htm
Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Justin Scarsella

Profile:

Wow, that is a really solid list, I didn't know they had that already. thanks for the link.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Wimsett View Post
There's a pretty solid list at this W/F/S link to Crossfit San Diego:

http://crossfitweekendwarriors.typepad.com/homegym.htm
Just curious, who's gym is that in the lead photo?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
John Edmondson

Profile:

Most of the basics have been covered time and again so I'll respond to he question regarding the more creative/homemade pieces of equipment.
1.Bicycle inner tubes. Lots of credit (rightly so) has been heaped on the Iron Woody assistance bands, but a couple of 10-speed bike tubes worked great for getting my wife her first pullup. Just loop them over the bar. Maybe $4 each.
2. A big ol' tractor tire. Can't beat tire flips for a full body butt whippin', plus approx. 20" box jumps, ghd situps, back extensions, and sledge hammer swings. Got it for free from a commercial tire yard. They were thrilled to be rid of it. Managed to fit a 4'8" by 20" tire (250-300#) in the back of my Ford Ranger.
3. Nylon webbing. Great for stretching, as a makeshift dipping belt for weighted chins and dips, sled dragging, and hanging homemade rings.
Hope this helps. I'll add more as I think of it. I love this Macguyver fitness stuff.
John
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

That gym in the lead photo is my garage before we were nearly evicted from our home for training too many people, and finally opened our gym.

By the way, not that it matters that much, but the garage gym shopping list linked to above, is a page I maintain for our websites: CrossFit SoCal and CrossFit Weekend Warriors. CrossFit San Diego is a separate affiliate.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Scott Mahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmik Jones View Post
That gym in the lead photo is my garage before we were nearly evicted from our home for training too many people, and finally opened our gym.

By the way, not that it matters that much, but the garage gym shopping list linked to above, is a page I maintain for our websites: CrossFit SoCal and CrossFit Weekend Warriors. CrossFit San Diego is a separate affiliate.

I knew it had to be from someone serious. Great job keeping up that page, I really appreciate it.