CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-05-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Ok, ok, I know I probably shouldn't be eating any but, Sears reccomends that you eat Whole-Grain-Rye. I've been buying low carb bread because I figure the fewer amount of carbohydrates I get from bread the better (I use whole wheat). Wich is better?

What exactly is whole grain rye bread? I've found Jewish Rye Bread, and various others. I try not to eat anymore than three pieces a day which comes out to about 33 grams of, according to Sears unfavorable carbohydrates.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:56 AM   #2
bill fox

Profile:

Jason

Two great breads that I don't think will mess with the Zone

Man's bread
Hemp Bread

#s for Man's Bread

3 gr fat
9 gr carb
4 gr fiber
6 gr protein

3 slices = 15 grams of "effective" carb and itds not the "low carb" crap. Buy it at Whole Foods in the freezer
Old 03-06-2004, 05:18 AM   #3
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
...Or you could just skip it altogether :happy:

I come from a place where good bread is always part of the meal. Barley, wheat you name it. And it tastes real good too.

8+ months and i don't een think about it. There much better tasting things around than bread! Plus you get to eat way more of the other stuff!

Apart from taste and habit, what is it about bread that makes you think you should continue to eait it? Just curious...
Old 03-06-2004, 06:36 AM   #4
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

I'm definitely with Alex on this one!
Old 03-06-2004, 07:55 AM   #5
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I know I should stop. Habit and Convenience would be the two main reasons. I'm currently working as a T.S.S. while waiting on police jobs. Much easier to pack a sandwich than a salad or 3 cups of brocolli. I have to carry my food with me b/c I'm really not supposed to leave my clients. Not to mention I moved in with my dad recently and don't want to monopolize the refrigerator, I feel like I'm imposing enough already without having tons of fruits and vegatables taking up the entire fridge.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jason-
The rye bread sounds fine. If your life situation eases up a bit and it is easier to swap out bread for other carbs perhaps give it a try...dont complicate what appears to be a busy schedule! Ezekial bread is also a good option.
Robb
Old 03-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #7
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Thanks all for responding. I'm making efforts to cut down. This may be a dumb question but Rye is a different grain than Wheat? Or is it the process that makes the bread different?
Old 03-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

It's a different grain (with a lower glycemic index) rather than different processing or baking methods.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Incidentally, I'm also with Alexander on this one. I largely eliminated bread about 8 months ago, and miss it rarely (of course, I don't live in a culture where good bread is readily available, so it wasn't so difficult to give up) It took about 3 weeks.

Dave
Old 03-07-2004, 12:57 AM   #10
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Well, I "quit" bread cold-turkey, as I have done with almost everything else in my life, but i prefer not to think about it in the quit mentality. 1 year ago I was also a smoker, so bread is harmless when you compare it to that other filthy habbit I used to have.

Besides growing up with it the hardest thing i thought I would encounter over here would be peer pressure, brought on by faulty perceptions, culture, and Doubting Thomas attitude.

Of course all the:

"Dude you quit BREAD????"
"Aren't you taking this too far?"
"What, is bread hampering your muscle growth"?

All of these of course are met with humour, pranks, and when the time is right, a mini-education! :happy:

There IS however one thing that tickes me off, and the bastards, my friends, they know it...:

"Pfff...Man, all this nutrition and health stuff just because you wanna look like those bodybuilders".

And of course, their timing is always right. Just at the point where the future Mrs. Karatis and I have hit it off at the bar!
:biggrin: