CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
Bryan Edge

Profile:
My wife and I moved into a new house April 1st. After months of unpacking, we're still not quite settled, but in the last couple weeks I was finally able to start equipping my garage gym.

I've still got a lot of equipment to make (med balls/plyo boxes, pull-up/dip station, etc.) and acquire (oly bar, bumpers, rower, rings, etc.).

I scored some truly killer deals to get what I've goten so far (all from Craiglist):

* $400 for all of the following:
--> ~300 sq ft. of 1/2" rubber mats
--> Precor c964i commercial treadmill
--> Two dumbell racks
--> Complete set of dumbells 15LB-60LB, excluding 55LB for some reason

The list above all came from a local Gold's Gym that had done some remodeling and had stuff to get rid of. One in a million deal, IMHO.

* $50 for the Squat Rack (delivered!)
* $15 for the Weight tree (also delivered!)

Never (well, by January 2007 hopefully) having to go to Globo-Gym ever again: Priceless!

What you DON'T see in the picture is about 500+ square feet (with a bunch of crap I still need to unload/unpack)BEHIND me. In other words, I've still got lots of room (around 720sq ft total), which will eventually be floored/matted for martial arts, and of course a heavy bag at some point... :-)}http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/28341.jpg
Old 08-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
Jason Blais

Profile:
Right On
Old 08-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
David Bennett

Profile:
Keep up the good work! You are on your way to a world class fitness facility in your own home.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Skip Chase

Profile:
Looks good....if you ever get up this way, visit us in Mount Vernon.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Thanks for the invite! I'd definitely like to get some O-lift coaching -- , any all coaching would be welcome -- when I can afford the $$$ and time.

We're still getting settled into our new digs (and getting financially back on our feet) so it may be a little while yet. =)

The closest folks (to me) seem to be Crossfit North. Someone should open a Crossfit gym in Lynnwood/Everett/Mill Creek/Edmonds area! Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

What are you using for pull up stations in your gym, skip? I looked at some the pictures... a smaller version of what you're using might work well for me. I still haven't fully figured out how I'm going to install pull-up/dip stations. (I don't want to give up floor space if I don't have to, but I want maximum stability, of course).

(Message edited by edge on August 07, 2006)
Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Bryan - I live south of you in the south end of Tacoma in unicorporated Pierce County and have a pretty well stocked home gym...1,500 square feet worth. Let me know if you want to come visit and see what I have and how I've mounted stuff.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Thanks Eugene! 1500sf??? Holy cow, and I thought I was doing well with 720!

South end of Tacoma might be a bit of a stretch for me timewise (I've got 2 kids under the age of 3, so I don't get out often...). You wouldn't happen to have pictures you could share, would you?

I'm starting to think the best option would be a simple "Cage" similar to the pictures I saw on Skip's web site, with possible a couple handles attached for dips and maybe some lower bars so my kids can hang from them. Problem is, I'm not sure where I'd go to get such a thing or have one custom made -- anyone have any contacts that might help?

thanks all in advance! :-)
Old 08-08-2006, 07:12 AM   #8
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
you *are* doing very well with 720sf! I need to post my "GETO GYM" pictures so y'all can appreciate your good fortune ;-)

If you're looking for a very nice deal on a good Oly bar and enough bumper plates to get started, backed by a guy who'll stand behind them, Glenn Pendlay and the Wichita Falls Weightlifting Club are now offering a bundle with a Pendlay bar and pair of 20kg, 15kg, and 10kg bumpers for $699 shipped. You might want to look into this.

Also, consider getting your order for rings into the queue sooner rather than later. You'll be very happy when they arrive (well, that, and also very sore for the next few weeks). Rings are great, and your kids will probably like them too.

I am quite envious of your acreage.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Yeah, I need to get the rings... Not sure where I'll put them -- but good point on the kids. I get so busy thinking about what I want I forget that my wife and kids will probably want some stuff too. :-)

I know my (almost) 3yo son already likes to hang from bars (he goes to The Little Gym 2x week).
Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #10
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/6348.html

Here's some pics from an old post. I got a new D model today and put some pics up of it coming out of the box. Bryan this is an extremely kid friendly house and I have a 6 year old boy named Zachary and a 4 year old girl named Samantha (pics of them rowing the D on the other post) who keep your kids plenty visit. Get out of the house and come down for a visit so you can take some notes and pictures and make a shopping list. You can get a CrossFit PC workout in too.