CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Russell D Wells

Profile:
Can a week off help, or hurt?

I did a search on this, to try and find some answers before I posted, but I could not find a specific answer.

About three weeks ago, I was working on my 1RM Deadlift. I was using the "Mixed Grip" left arm palm facing outward, right palm facing backward. unfortunately I never switched it during my work up. When I finished my strength, 395#'s 1 RM. I noticed that my left elbow was sore, it was sore for about 3 days. I rested for one day, and started back. While doing pull-ups, my left elbow was still hurting, and our coach said I was doing pull-ups wrong, so I changed my form. I was good for about a week, but my left elbow is hurting again. I have voodoo floss, and am going to start working my elbow. I was going to take a week off from all crossfit activities, but still stretch during this week. I am 49, and regularly take vitamins, and fish oil, and BCAA's. I am 80% paleo in my diet.

I am icing my elbow 2 times a day

Will the week off help? (I know, stupid question)

Suggestions on what I should do, should not do?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Can a week off help, or hurt?

Check out my blog on elbow pain 321gomd.com
Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I'm certainly no doc -- and I sometimes (I guess) make snarky comments -- but (to your question) I doubt that a week off could hurt.

Continuing to stress something that already hurts has never really worked out well for me.

- Mark
Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Icing it will help the pain, but will also reduce the inflammation (your body's way of healing) and make the healing time longer.

To answer your question, no, a week off won't hurt you. With your age, I'm assuming you do crossfit for you health, and not to compete. If you work out for long term health, it doesn't make much sense to me to work out when you're injured...they are kind of conflicting ideals.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

A week now could save months later. Take it from someone that's worked through the pain.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
Anthony Hanna

Profile:

Def agree with the above posts, your much better take a week off and see if it improves. Like nick said a week off now is better than a month later... Trust me I know, I'm still getting over a shoulder injury of >6 months