CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Ryan Sears

Profile:
I have heard the praise of the zone diet plan across the crossfit community so I went out and bought "A Week in The Zone" last night. I am on ch. 9, which takes about the anti-aging zone, and I came across some information the conflicts with the pricples of crossfit. This is from page 88 in " A Week in The Zone."

"Intense levels of exercise put stress on the body by increasing the formation of free radicals and increasing levels of the stress hormone cortisol-both of which can speed aging."

I was wondering what everyone thought about this subject. Should I buy a more detailed book of the zone that will explain this in more detial or is this just the point at which Dr. Sears and Crossfit disagree. Any help would be useful.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
The increase in cortisol aspect is true, though it's a temporary affair that is improved during recovery by our body's adaptive systems. Crossfit's short, time-efficient workouts at high intensity are a great match for this fact, in that they disrupt your system enough for adaptation but don't delve too deeply into that cortisol nightmare of the long, gruelling workouts of an hour or better.

Needless to say, there is still much that we don't know about exercise phys. but it seems to be that dedicated Crossfitters are more-healthy across the board, which would point to a healthy stress response to exercise rather than an over-abundance of stress hormones.