CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-13-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
Robin Dunn Bryant

Profile:  
I started Crossfit about five weeks ago by doing the beginners workout found in the CF Journal and I’m finding myself at a bit of a mental block. I think part of it is that I am easily bored by routine (the varied WODs was what initially attracted me to the program) and find that I’m not excited about the workouts anymore. More specifically, I’m not all that excited about the warm up and I’m hoping to get feedback from other Crossfitters about other warm ups, moving from the beginners workout to modified WODs, and general motivational tips for when you get stalled.

Let me give you some additional info. I was a lifelong tomboy/athletic girl who spent the last 10 or so years eating and gaining weight. Working out with Crossfit these past few weeks (along with eating better, resting better, and giving up cigarettes) has had a definite effect. But, instead of wanting to focus my efforts on the beginners’ workout, I’m more interested in figuring out a way to modify the WODs.

I trying to combine Crossfit with my overall fitness goals: get healthier and stronger, lose weight, be able to take both of my dogs out for runs, complete both a charity 5 and 10k, and complete a 100 mile AIDS ride.

What I’d been doing (until last week) were the beginners’ workouts. I was substituting riding my bike for the runs. Then I saw Murph one week and modified it to something I called Murph the 4th and did it a couple of Fridays. Two weeks ago, I decided to modify five days worth of The Girls so I could have some benchmark workouts. Partially because I was getting a little bored again and partially because I was buying weights (I’d been using bodyweight/dumbbells) and wanted to get them so I could start adding more weights before I continued with the beginners’ workout.

My workout schedule is Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun (I get up very early during the week to workout so I have evenings free to spend with my daughter and my husband).

Since I had so much trouble running initially (I’ve never liked to) I looked around for a training program and found the Couch to 5K program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). I’ve incorporated it into my workout so that I’m doing 3 days a week worth of runs (I sometimes do them in the evenings, depending on how early I get up).

I’m rambling a bit here, I’m thinking. I just want to make sure I’m not taking myself completely off track here. Should I continue to do the weighted aspects of the beginners’ workouts or can I keep digging thru old workouts to modify them? Any suggestions on a good warm up? Or what are the ideas I need to incorporate into a good workout?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Gus Sonnenberg

Profile:

Robin,

The offical CrossFit warmup is on Lynne Pitts CrossFit FAQ on the Get Started page. Considering my status as a new member I am probably speaking out of turn but you might take a second look at the introduction to the beginners routine described in issue #9:

"We are routinely challenged to provide workouts for individuals with limited experience and very limited resources. That's not our first choice of circumstances, but the exercise seems worthy. The challenge then is to see how much fitness we could motivate around the following parameters:

-Require a minimal amount of equipment
-Doesn't necessitate gym membership
-Requires minimal coaching
-Low technical requirements for movements
-Fixed easy to follow regimen
-Accessible to nearly every fitness level
-Unlimited in potential for development."

The author of the article did not say that this program was manditory or even recommended. It is what it is. A program that is designed to satisify the stated parameters. One of the parameters is the fixed nature, which appears to be turning you off. On the other hand there are several strengths for those of us who cannot access the resources of a CrossFit facility and coaching staff. Personally, I am following the program because I know my body is not ready for a WOD even at 1/2 the stated reptitions or weight. My muscles could probably handle it (and my ego is itching to try) but my ligaments and tendons would go on strike. By following the routine I am forcing myself to go slow.

Here is my suggestion, for what it is worth. If the beginners program isn't for you, forget it. Take on the WOD to the best of your ability. This message board contains a ton of debate regarding the WOD + running v. WOD only approach. I tend to follow the veterans who say the WOD is more than enough if you are honest with your intesity. But you should reach your own conclusion. If you don't like to do the same warmup every day, do something else. There is plenty of support on the message board for different warmup routines. Personally I have to strech more to avoid injury. Finally, its not easy to get up in the morning to workout. That may be sapping your enthuasism. Stick with it!} Like you I came to Crossfit because of the workout diversity, but its the community that makes me want to stay.

Gus
Old 09-13-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Robin Dunn Bryant

Profile:  
Gus,

I don't know when I got to be such a "rule follower" and a bad reader...

Thanks for sending the info about the workout my way. I'll probably take your suggestion and go back to find workouts to modify (I'm thinking of going back to July/August to put together my workouts for Sept/October...I need time to lay out my workout schedule/modify the workouts. I've got a grin on my face about this, actually.

The getting up in the morning sucks. It really does. But after I get up it's great. I have more energy during the day and sleep much better at night. I tend to pull everything together the night before so I don't have to think. It's just actually getting out of the bed (which, on average, happens only three days a week).

Thanks so much for your response.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Gus Sonnenberg

Profile:

You are welcome.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
If you want pre-modified beginners workouts, I'm writing a bunch right now, in sequence. It's for a book I'm putting together for people who are new to functional fitness, and I'd love all the feedback I can get because training people in person is really different from written explainations.

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com