CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-17-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
My only source of carbs for breakfast (~8am) and my afternoon snack (12pm) is about 3 blocks of fruits at each meal. The other two meals I stick to tubers and veggies.

Ideally, should I replace the breakfast fruit blocks with some veggies as well? or is this really not going to affect me in any way?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Ideally, yes you should replace fruit with veggies as much as possible. I try to fill as many blocks per day with veggies, throw in a yam every couple days, and fill in the rest with fruit. That way I'm getting a) all of my carbs, b) as many low GI, nutrient-dense veggies as possible, and c) cutting down on my fructose intake.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I agree with scott, except I personally find that trying to get enough carbs from vegetables is incredibly hard to do both physically and on my digestive system. Try eating more carrots, tubers, and to some extent, nuts and seeds. I find that only a small quantity of fibrous vegetables a day works for me.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Frank Menendez

Profile:
So all in all, tubers over fruits?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I would say so, yes. You can over-do them though, but you can also over-do fruits. Both have their pros and cons. Fruits are nutrient dense, have a low GI, and taste great but also have a tendency to slow fat loss/ distrupt body comp. and have a high fructose ratio. Tubers are also very nutrient dense and taste great. However, they have a high GI and are very carb dense. I would say split it in half. Whatever extra carbs you need to fill in, do half from fruits and half from tubers. That way you wont over-do either one and simulataneously expand the diversity of your diet.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Rob McBee

Profile:
What about replacing most of the carb blocks with fat/protein blocks altogether? If the body burns ketones for fuel, preferentially if I'm understanding correctly, then why not reduce carbs further?

You don't have to eat the mountain of vegetables that, as Greg notes, can be hard to digest and you basically eliminate the whole issue of GI. Right??
Old 07-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Oddly enough I did do that for both breakfast and the snack... (breakfast is 5 block protein 3 block carb and the rest from fat)
Old 07-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
Ok my comment is off conversation but relates to the topic, excessive amounts of fruit...

Is it true you can become a diabetic from eating tons of fruit, I heard one of my relatives went on a fruit diet for a really long time and turned diabetic.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:27 AM   #9
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Paul, I would be skeptical; although, if fruit was the entire diet then maybe. I doubt fruit eaten as even every carb block as part of the zone diet would lead to such a situation, not that I recommend eating that way.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:48 AM   #10
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Rob,

It's my understanding that the reason one would not entirely eliminate the carbohydrate blocks with fat and protein blocks is one of performance. CF requires that a fair amount of carbs be consumed - less than those following the SAD diet/more than a ketogenic or VLCD - or performance will drop/stall.