CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Andrew Stolarik

Profile:
i have been lurking around here for a while and i must say that i'm impressed with all of the accomplishments that others have done. i want to start crossfit. i have done bodyweight conditioning, muay thai, bjj, judo (my love), and kettlebells. do i need to start on the WOD's first or is there something else that i have to do? like i said i'm a newbie. how do i start crossfit?

andy
Old 06-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Pat Janes

Profile:

G'day Andrew,

1st, read this:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html

for an quick overview of how to get started with CF. Pay particular attention to this bit:

"In any case it must be understood that the CrossFit workouts are extremely demanding and will tax the capacities of even the world's best athletes. You would be well advised to take on the WOD carefully, cautiously, and work first towards completing the workouts comfortably and consistently before "throwing" yourself at them 100%. The best results have come for those who've "gone through the motions" of the WOD by reducing recommended loads, reps, and sets while not endeavoring towards impressive times for a month before turning up the heat. We counsel you to establish consistency with the WOD before maximizing intensity."

Read Lynne's FIQ:

http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm

and as much of the archives of this board as you can.

The main thing is just start doing the WOD. Don't worry about lack of equipment, there's always a sub; lower the loads and get through it for a while and ramp it up slowly.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:58 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Scale intensity and start. Research is nice, after you've put in the effort in the gym. Many people use the excuse of "I need to know more" to put off training. Today's workout: 400m run + 50 squats x 5 can be done with no equipment. You'd be suprised how much you will learn by doing. Welcome.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:07 AM   #4
Mike Ryan

Profile:
As usual, Larry is right on the money. Jump in, scale to fit your ability and ask questions as you go. There is a TON of information in the message boards to get you started. Welcome and enjoy the ride.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
Andrew Stolarik

Profile:
thank you all. i will take each advise to heart.