CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
mike vinson

Profile:
What's the minimum time a sports skill needs to be performed?

im doing 3 on 1 off in the mornings w/CF and would like to add some sport skills in the evenings. below is my list:

basketball / archery
bat swings / long board
boxing / lacrosse
golf swing / tae kwon do
shot putt-disc / slackline
disc golf / baseball swings
pool-darts-juggling
tennis / football-throwing-kicking
foam pit / softball pitching
sprint and jump / soccer

im doing two sport/skills a day for 30 minutes (15min each). im not competing. these are all things ive done in the past and liked but was never great at any of them. my questions are;

1. how often does a skill need to be performed to get better? is 3 times a month for 45 minutes enough?

2. how many sport skills can someone be proficient at at once?

3. im only doing cleans or snatches or DL or back squats about 3 times a month (maybe) following the mainsite wod and im getting better. can sport skills increase doing the same frequency?

i really do understand if i want to get better at tennis i need to play a lot of tennis. im just wondering if this will work? am i wasting my time? or is there a better way to be good at a lot of things. thanks, mike
Old 05-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Larry Bruce

Profile:
Re: What's the minimum time a sports skill needs to be performed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post

1) how often does a skill need to be performed to get better? is 3 times a month for 45 minutes enough?

2). how many sport skills can someone be proficient at at once?

3). im only doing cleans or snatches or DL or back squats about 3 times a month (maybe) following the mainsite wod and im getting better. can sport skills increase doing the same frequency?

4) i really do understand if i want to get better at tennis i need to play a lot of tennis.

5) im just wondering if this will work?

6)am i wasting my time?

7) is there a better way to be good at a lot of things. thanks, mike

1) 3 x week minimum

2) Depends

3) No, not beyond a beginner level

4) Do you understand it really?

5) No

6) Yes

7) Go to number 4
Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Bryan Castro

Profile:

It think it depends...
on your skill level: If you're already proficient at something, it might be easy to maintain but difficult to improve. For example, if you are already decent at tennis let's say, then just practicing every once in a while will maintain it, but you will need to dedicate some deliberate practice to your weaknesses to improve.

on what you're crosstraining with: for example, some of your sports may have similar movements sets that have some cross-over for each other. However, with the ones you listed, I think there is going to be a lot of interference when it comes to learning skills.

I do think you can improve at a couple specific skills/sports at a time, but you need to dedicate enough time to do so at both. However, you may just want to focus on one at a time and cycle through different ones. For example, I do different martial arts (muay thai, kali, and groundfighting). Although I practice all year-round, I cycle through which one I'm focusing on improving the most - e.g. right now i'm training for a muay thai fight, so I don't focus on the other stuff as much at the moment, although I will train it every couple weeks just to stay sharp. I think it's like that for a lot of other sports and skills.

Just my two cents,
Best regards,
Bryan
Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

To me, your post smacks of some sort of massive exercise obsession. I think you should consider that and perhaps even see someone. No, I am trying to me mean etc. I just think your idea is so outlandish (in terms of trying to be good at everything) it merits concern.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
mike vinson

Profile:

the wod's take 5-25 minutes in the morning. the sports skills are taking 30 minutes in the evenings. its less than an hour a day. thats hardly obsessive. im just trying to do the same with sport skills as CF is doing with exercises. im not sure 3 times a week is necessary, i have a lot of friends that play pretty good golf and they might get out twice a month or less. is there a difference in a sports skill and a CF skill such as muscle ups, snatches, jerks, cleans, double unders? we CF'rs arent as strong as WL or PL or as fast as sprinters or distance runners but we're pretty good at everything. i was just trying to do the same with a few sport skills that i never practice anyway.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
the wod's take 5-25 minutes in the morning. the sports skills are taking 30 minutes in the evenings. its less than an hour a day. thats hardly obsessive. im just trying to do the same with sport skills as CF is doing with exercises. im not sure 3 times a week is necessary, i have a lot of friends that play pretty good golf and they might get out twice a month or less. is there a difference in a sports skill and a CF skill such as muscle ups, snatches, jerks, cleans, double unders? we CF'rs arent as strong as WL or PL or as fast as sprinters or distance runners but we're pretty good at everything. i was just trying to do the same with a few sport skills that i never practice anyway.
Perhaps you are right.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
PaulEwing

Profile:

That list is way too long in my opinion. If you're already good at something, maintaining your skills is not very difficult. However, trying to learn 15 different things simultaneously is going to prove ineffective.

When you go to school, there's a reason you only take a few classes at a time. By devoting substantial time and effort to a limited number of subjects, it's easier for the brain to retain information. Translate that to sports. If you spend 15 minutes working on your golf swing and then spend the next 5 days working on a handful of other skills, how do you expect your brain to build any sort of muscle memory?

If I were you, I'd narrow that list down to only a few items and get better at them first. Then, maintain those skills while you get better at a few others.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Ill comment on the archery thing.

If your not "ok" at it now its a skill that takes forever to master

Sure you can quickly learn how to shoot a bow but being able to consistently hit the target from different distances and in different positions and in different conditions takes constant practice.

I used to bow hunt (before 5 kids). I could go out once or twice a month for 30 mins and shoot a good group. The month or two before hunting season I'd put in 2-3x a week

That said I only had to worry about a shot 15-30m. It was still "not" easy but I was good at hitting my shot 98% of the time. However, when the deer comes out and the wind is blowing and your nerves are going that shot becomes harder.

I've seen (and done myself) those easy shots go wrong in those situations. Just like the difference between kicking field goals with no one blocking for 45 yards and kicking the same goal and distance when the Super Bowl
Out come hangs on that one kick...

If you want to invest time and effort into skills, great. But realize some skills take a lifetime to master.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
mike vinson

Profile:

i really appreciate the responses. as always it makes me look at things in a different light. so, is there a way to break skills into "good at" and "not-good at" categories? maybe do the "good at" twice a month and the "not-good at" 4 or 5 times a month? and how many skills can someone maintain at once, on a club-amateur level, not high or professional level? i haven't even gotten through the first round of doing this so i have no idea if im getting better but its fun and i cant imagine im getting worse at anything. thanks, mike
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

basketball 30 mins of drills + playtime = great
archery - constant technique work (breathing/pulling/etc)
bat swings - constant attention - someone coaching - video taping etc
long board - prepare for a 2+ hour trip... this isn't a short time growth
boxing - tons of skill work
lacrosse - more skill work... / cardio
golf swing - ask tiger... takes practice
tae kwon do - expect a long learning curve over a few years
shot putt-disc - easy to 'toss' hard to be good... lots of technique
slackline - fool around, have fun, but practice required
disc golf - play a few rounds, take a few practice shots
pool-darts lots of repeated practice of perfect movement
juggling - easy to do 3, hard to do 4+ I learned 3 in a week
tennis - hittin a ball inst hard... hitting it where you want is
football-throwing-kicking - have fun, throw some balls, work on form
softball pitching - practice - not hard to be ok
sprint and jump - drills 30mins a few times a week = good
soccer - depends on what your doing... playing with a ball @ home while sitting = good way to practice foot control. Lots of drills..

All this is manageable but in real life, you'd have no life trying to do them all... if no work, and all play then great

Otherwise i'd pick a couple and focus on them