CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Roxanne McClain

Profile:
Question Balancing CF and Work and Family Help

There isn't a lot of chatter from women on here to compare training with and get tips from, so I thought I'd start this topic and see how many of you guys or gals could help me out.

I'm new to Crossfit, but know my way around the community I guess. I own a business that requires a lot of hands on time, so I work from 7-8 hours a day just like a normal job. The few perks being, I own it and if it's quiet or I'm caught up, I go. The business helps me give my 3 kids a pretty decent life and I love it, but it is a really stressful job at times, and home life can get stressful too.

As I said though, I am a mom. 3 boys They aren't your stay at home kids either. We spend many a night on a baseball or football field, or a ball court.

I have to find time to train. I'm almost 32, and don't want to be an elite athlete or anything, but Crossfit is amazing and by far the best fitness sport I've ever had the luck of finding. Oly lifts are my favorite, and my Bella bar is my baby

Sometimes I train at 8pm at night. I like to train early on weekends, before kids are all up and running around, but week nights have to be fit in when I can. Any where from 3:30 to 8 when I can do it.

I train in my garage and a typical session almost always includes
-20 min warm-up with Burgener Warmup behind it. 1x PVC 1xBella bar
- I'm working towards Double Unders and spend 5 mins on jump room
- Skill: Then I move to strict pull up progression. (I got my 1st strict tonight!) only one, but hey! I'm following a progression template by Chris Stroud and it's amazing! I went from never getting one in my life to unassisted strict tonight in like 4 weeks.
- strength is next it varies, I don't follow a set guide, but have a fellow CF Lvl 1 writing my programs for me while I learn it and they get time coaching. We mainly talk during email about progress.
- then WOD whatever it may be.
- I'm bad about not doing a cool down, b/c house work and kids needing to have supper and all that. Lol.

3 days on 1 off is my norm. 80% paleo diet, and I don't need to loose weight, but I don't want to gain fat either! I have a lot of trouble with trying to count calories, even when I shouldn't.

I have felt awful these last few weeks and gym time is showing it. I can't get the recovery time I need and am wondering if I'm doing to much for my busy schedule. I tend to go without rest, rather than miss a training day. It bothers me that I'm so obsessive some days, but when I PR, then I'm like this is why I obsess over it!

Can someone pls provide me with info for a woman like me? I look better and am stronger than ever, but I know I can do more, if I just knew what to do.

Multivitamins and protien shakes aren't cutting it and no one really focuses on the "moms" that train, unless they are games athletes. I'm getting so tired of hearing rest, rest, rest when I CANT sleep 10 hours a night. I'm lucky to get 6.

Thought about Progenixs, or BSN but they are crazy high. Any ideas on this fatigue and supplements? I'm not wanting them b/c I'm lazy about nutrition. I cook my meals and carry lunch almost every day, but I want to see gains....tips tricks to be better?

Sorry this turned into a novel
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Balancing CF and Work and Family Help

I would say sleep more, eat more, or workout less. If you aren't recovered it is usually because you aren't getting enough rest or you aren't providing your body with enough fuel. Since more sleep is out why not try 2 on 1 off or 1 on 1 off? I am a 27 year old weighing a solid 240 lbs, eating plenty, and I get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. I can't lift 3 days in a row consistently because it beats me down, I prefer 2 on 1 off.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Frank Fusco

Profile:

Keep in mind that you don't get stronger from exercise. You get stronger when you recover from exercise. Exercise is a stress on your body, your body reacts by adapting to better cope with that stress.

If you over train and/or do not get adequate sleep, you are not allowing your body to recover, build muscle, get better, etc.

Also, lack of sleep and excessive training increases circulating cortisol. Chronically high levels of cortisol increase the risk for a number of health problems and promote increased fat retention, especially around the mid section.

If you feel awful, your body is telling you to slow down and get some rest. Think about scheduling deload weeks into your programming.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

OK, I kinda figured this is the response I would get. Maybe life will slow down a little and I can get back to longer sleep times and better recovery soon.
I think I will try the 2 on 1 off for a week or so, and I am going to look into more food and how much I need. I guess that will be trial and error, since I don't know an accurate BF%. Some calcs say 23-24% and others throw a 30% at me.
Thank you both for your reply.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Miles Roberts

Profile:

About the timing and 'making time' for workouts... I go first thing in the morning. It leaves the rest of the day open to do everything else. If its going to cut into your 6 hours of sleep, don't, but if you can get to bed an hour earlier, and get up an hour earlier and get in your workout first thing, you might find that satisfying.

As far as ANY supplement, the prices vary wildly. I had a 20% off coupon to GNC. I've never been big into supplements - but I like BSN syntha-6 because it tastes good, mixes easy, and always has good reviews. It had been a LONG time since I bought any so I went with my coupon to pick some up. After checking amazon, even with the coupon, I was still paying over TWICE what I could get it for from Amazon, so on the shelf it stayed. So if something seems crazy expensive, shop around.