CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #61
Hamze Abdi
Banned Hamze Abdi is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa  Ontario
Posts: 203
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Abdi, do you have a primary language other than English? This is the only way I can fathom you don't see the leg pulling or rather sarcasm dial cranked up to 11 here.

Either you are a troll OR you you need to take Jeff's advice, strip down and start from scratch with your decision making and reasoning skills because they are not good right now.
I noticed the sarcasm. I just don't see what the big deal is. I get to 10 pullups, and then instead of doing pullups everyday, I just do 3x5 weighted sets 3 times a week.

Why am I a criminal for taking a few weeks for myself?

what about trying grease the groove with weighted pullups? do you think that might work?
 
Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #62
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: combining pullups with school

Your not a criminal, but it would seem you are making poor choices. Define reasonable goals i.e I want to do 20 pullups, and then look for a program: http://www.lamarineofficerprograms.c...ng_Workout.pdf WFS

You are making this too hard. You are reinventing the wheel and you don't have to. Go to school and do this simple programming. If you are spending greater than 30 minutes a day doing pullups, you are wrong unless you are being paid to do it. Consider you should really be able to do pullups and sprints in 30 minutes neither of which should interfere with a single aspect of your life.
 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #63
Clint Harris
Member Clint Harris is offline
 
Clint Harris's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta  GA
Posts: 815
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi View Post
That's just it, I can't get a consistent routine. One day, I sleep early, the next I sleep late and today I can't sleep at all.

I'm probably going to end up falling asleep in school.

(No Sarcasm)
For your sleep and routine, you probably are going to have to choose something and stick to it. It's not unlike the pull-up program.
So, decide on what time you want to go to bed. Decide on what time you want to get up. And stick to it. Go to bed at 11:30pm and get up at 7:45am. Regardless if you have slept, or are tired, or can't sleep, or what.
Much like everything else in life, including pull-ups, you have to do it. It will be hell for a week or two, sure, but after a couple of weeks you will form some habits that should start to become easier. In theory, because you are going to bed and getting up at the same time, you'll set your circadian clock. So don't nap on the couch at night either while you are trying to establish a habit.
Also, take a look at your bedroom. Is it dark ? Do you like your pillows ? Is it noisy ? What keeps you up ? Is it that coffee you had two hours ago?
You have to try and fix some of these things. Like get some heavier blinds, buy a pillow (and/or pillow case) that is comfortable etc - it may cost some $$ but is worth it. You just have to change.
 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #64
Nik Nichols
Member Nik Nichols is offline
 
Nik Nichols's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Quinlan  TX
Posts: 21,383
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi View Post
Well, it's one more pullup each day. Obviously, trying to speed up the time between pullups didn't work, so I'm just going to do a lot of volume...

Usually, people that do 100 pullups a day are able to do around 10.

90 minutes. I'm only allowed to hand in *one* assignment a day after 90 minutes of work. You said it yourself. Why should I spend more time than necessary to get the job done?

Why should I spend more time on the treadmill if 2000 seconds of sprinting is enough work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi View Post
If it makes y'all feel any better, I will sleep at 10:30 to wake up at 6:30 to get some more pullups done before school...
Ok I will try again. Really, lay out your day,

Fill in the blaanks
I get up?
I do what for how long? (shower, eat, get ready, get on the internet)
I go to class from, to, ?
After class what time is it?
What do you do till you go ti bed?
What time do you got to bed?

I have greased the groove and still do with pullups ext.

Once I had a pull up bar that i passed a lot every day going back and forth through out my day. I made it a point that every time I pass that bar I would put down what ever I had and knock out a few reps, all day. It took seconds, I was on my way.

Like Jeff( I think) said find a place where you can do a pull up and do some. Do them when you can, does not have to be every day, just when you can.

My morning warm up is
3x10
HSPUs
pullups
GHDs
situps
pushups
squats

it does not take more then 10 to 20 mins if i don't drag it out. That is before work, before food.

It is hard to think you are serious with out you posing your days plan. You give me nothing to work with. You make is sound like you have no time for anything really. With out seeing what you day/ week looks like, I and everyone thing you are just messing around.
__________________
49/M/5'7''/175lbs ''Take pain.'' quote: Mr Jenkins
 
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #65
Hamze Abdi
Banned Hamze Abdi is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa  Ontario
Posts: 203
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Ok I will try again. Really, lay out your day,

Fill in the blaanks
I get up?
I do what for how long? (shower, eat, get ready, get on the internet)
I go to class from, to, ?
After class what time is it?
What do you do till you go ti bed?
What time do you got to bed?

I have greased the groove and still do with pullups ext.

Once I had a pull up bar that i passed a lot every day going back and forth through out my day. I made it a point that every time I pass that bar I would put down what ever I had and knock out a few reps, all day. It took seconds, I was on my way.

Like Jeff( I think) said find a place where you can do a pull up and do some. Do them when you can, does not have to be every day, just when you can.

My morning warm up is
3x10
HSPUs
pullups
GHDs
situps
pushups
squats

it does not take more then 10 to 20 mins if i don't drag it out. That is before work, before food.

It is hard to think you are serious with out you posing your days plan. You give me nothing to work with. You make is sound like you have no time for anything really. With out seeing what you day/ week looks like, I and everyone thing you are just messing around.
Fill in the blaanks
I get up? 1:30 I couldn't sleep.
I do what for how long? (shower, eat, get ready, get on the internet) I got on the internet for 3 hours. I felt too full to do pullups so I took my time. Then I did 17 pullups basically resting 7 minutes between each set(sometimes would do cardio between each set)
I go to class from, to, ? 9:30 to 12
After class what time is it? 12 I got home at 1:30. I did 3 more pullups today.
What do you do till you go ti bed?
What time do you got to bed? I went to sleep at 10:30 yesterday.
 
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #66
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
I got on the internet for 3 hours. I felt too full to do pullups so I took my time. Then I did 17 pullups basically resting 7 minutes between each set(sometimes would do cardio between each set)
Ok now we're getting somewhere. We DO want to help you but hopefully you understand it has been difficult.

When you say you did 17 pull ups, how did you break that up? 6-6-5? Something like that?

Regardless of that, I feel that 7 minutes rest is a little more than what you need if you are crunched for time, but I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you are getting them done.

Now about the 3 hours between eating and pull ups. Did you feel nauseous or like you would puke if you tried doing pull ups? They aren't exactly a vigorous exercise, and I think if you tried doing some pull ups while being full you would be surprised to find out that they are no more difficult. Sure, you'll be a little heavier, but that is really no reason to stop you. Give it a try.

I know you and I aren't the same person, but just to give an example: I wrestled in college. We were required to be a certain weight, which meant we would starve ourselves for periods of time to make a certain weight. On days we had to wrestle, we would weigh-in (usually 10+ lbs lighter than we were a couple days ago), then we would eat and drink so much we felt like we couldn't move. Despite that fact, we had at most 1 hour after weigh ins until we had to warm up and wrestle a match. By the time we were done eating and drinking it was only about a half hour. Again, I understand we aren't the same people, but I still think you could manage some pull ups after eating. Give it a try, if you puke, my apologies.
 
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #67
Hamze Abdi
Banned Hamze Abdi is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa  Ontario
Posts: 203
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Ok now we're getting somewhere. We DO want to help you but hopefully you understand it has been difficult.

When you say you did 17 pull ups, how did you break that up? 6-6-5? Something like that?

Regardless of that, I feel that 7 minutes rest is a little more than what you need if you are crunched for time, but I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you are getting them done.

Now about the 3 hours between eating and pull ups. Did you feel nauseous or like you would puke if you tried doing pull ups? They aren't exactly a vigorous exercise, and I think if you tried doing some pull ups while being full you would be surprised to find out that they are no more difficult. Sure, you'll be a little heavier, but that is really no reason to stop you. Give it a try.

I know you and I aren't the same person, but just to give an example: I wrestled in college. We were required to be a certain weight, which meant we would starve ourselves for periods of time to make a certain weight. On days we had to wrestle, we would weigh-in (usually 10+ lbs lighter than we were a couple days ago), then we would eat and drink so much we felt like we couldn't move. Despite that fact, we had at most 1 hour after weigh ins until we had to warm up and wrestle a match. By the time we were done eating and drinking it was only about a half hour. Again, I understand we aren't the same people, but I still think you could manage some pull ups after eating. Give it a try, if you puke, my apologies.
I did 17 singles before school. You think I could cut it down to 5 or 6 minutes between sets? I'm just scared I won't recover well enough.

It's just that sometimes when I eat, I will binge. I end up downing a big bowl of cereal and 4 waffles covered with Nutella. I'd try to do pullups and I couldn't do any.

If I eat cleaner, it's much harder for me to overeat. But if I eat clean, by the time I've finished all my pullups I feel like binging again.
 
Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #68
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi View Post
I did 17 singles before school. You think I could cut it down to 5 or 6 minutes between sets? I'm just scared I won't recover well enough.

It's just that sometimes when I eat, I will binge. I end up downing a big bowl of cereal and 4 waffles covered with Nutella. I'd try to do pullups and I couldn't do any.

If I eat cleaner, it's much harder for me to overeat. But if I eat clean, by the time I've finished all my pullups I feel like binging again.
Ok, I'm gonna try to keep this on topic and not really go into the nutrition side, although that would help tremendously. To put it shortly, don't binge. It's as simple as that, really. Try to get some more protein. Moving on...

So you're saying you would do 1 pull up and then wait 7 minutes to do another one? That is probably not giving you much benefit. Do them in sets of 3-4 at a minimum, if you can.

Doing it the way you say you did means it took you 2 hours to do 17 pull ups. If you did 4 per set with the same rest cuts you down to about a half hour, which would be a start.
 
Old 02-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #69
Hamze Abdi
Banned Hamze Abdi is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa  Ontario
Posts: 203
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Ok, I'm gonna try to keep this on topic and not really go into the nutrition side, although that would help tremendously. To put it shortly, don't binge. It's as simple as that, really. Try to get some more protein. Moving on...

So you're saying you would do 1 pull up and then wait 7 minutes to do another one? That is probably not giving you much benefit. Do them in sets of 3-4 at a minimum, if you can.

Doing it the way you say you did means it took you 2 hours to do 17 pull ups. If you did 4 per set with the same rest cuts you down to about a half hour, which would be a start.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just scared of overtraining.
 
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #70
Nik Nichols
Member Nik Nichols is offline
 
Nik Nichols's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Quinlan  TX
Posts: 21,383
Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi View Post
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just scared of overtraining.
You are not going to over train pullups at your volume.

I would like to see a video of your sets and reps, that would help alot to be able to coach you.

Do them on the min for 10 or 15 min. I do on the min pullups x3s , you may not be up to that level, so that is where the video comes in.

oh and on your day. You poster, you got up at 1:30, I take that to be A.M. and said you were done again ( with the sets of pullups) by 1:30 I take that to be P.M. That leaves alot of time for pullups unless you forgot something or I read it wrong.
__________________
49/M/5'7''/175lbs ''Take pain.'' quote: Mr Jenkins
 
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deadlift form old school, new school right or wrong Jimmy Nelson Exercises 9 12-06-2011 10:49 PM
Road Work - Old School meets New School Dave Lemanczyk Exercises 4 04-10-2009 11:25 AM
Combining Crossfit?? Jason S Roth Starting 14 06-01-2007 06:11 PM
Combining blocks Frank Menendez Nutrition 4 06-07-2006 02:19 PM
Combining WODs Emil Berengut Workout of the Day 2 09-30-2003 11:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.