CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Samuel Stone Waters

Profile:
A Project.

Hello everyone,

I am 19 years old, 6 feet tall, and weigh around 175 pounds. Last summer I posted on here that I wanted to lose body fat and get slimmer. For good reason I got torn apart by Tamara and others who said I needed to focus on building strength instead, as I was already very small. I am at college now and have been going to Crossfit regularly at a local gym but haven't done any specific programming. I now realize how wrong I was with my previous training goals. This summer I want to put on weight and get stronger, focusing solely on performance instead of aesthetics. I am looking for suggestions on how to best accomplish this from both a nutrition and training perspective. I have had many people suggest different things from the Catalyst 10x3 to Outlaw to Starting Strength. What is everyone's opinion on here on the best approach to take?

I am setting up a gym at home with some lifting equipment and also will have access to a local affiliate this summer. I have good knowledge and form of a lot of the basic Crossfit movements, some better than others.

My current 1 RM that I know are:

Deadlift: 315
Back Squat: 245
Front Squat: 205
Power Clean: 200
Squat Clean: 175
Snatch: 115
Split Jerk: 185
Press: 125

If everyone helps me come up with a course of action here I will make an online journal this summer of my progress. I am willing to put in however much time and effort is required.

I appreciate anyone's help. Let me know if you need any more info.

Sam
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: A Project.

when you say "summer" what dates are we talking about? is this 4 months or 2 months? and what are you going to be doing immediately before and immediately after the summer? why limit the program to summer?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Samuel Stone Waters

Profile:

Summer for me starts at the beginning of May. I dont have to limit this to the summer but I won't be able to start anything very consistent until then. So in short this would be starting in May with no real limit on the other end.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Checkout GSLP. You have a lot of room for growth man -- make good use out of it. Eat plenty of protein, good fats and carbs.

Also, you can play around with the metcons and see how you do. I tried doing GSLP with 3 metcons a week and ended up trading those in for sprints/burpees/swings.

Basically, get used to squatting heavy and lifting heavy barbells. Do this in an organized fashion which allows for linear progression (GSLP).
Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Grayskull Linear Progression is a nice option. The program I would recommend for you depends mainly on:

1) Your experience level (sounds quite low)
2) How much weight you're willing to gain in those 2-5 months.

Since you're a relative novice basically on his own I'd recommend more straight forward programs that steadily progress and allow you to hone your technique over time.

If you're willing to gain whatever it takes to get big and strong (i.e. gain 20 lbs of fat to get 20-25 lbs of muscle), or only have a short time to lift (8-12 weeks) then I'd recommend the Starting Strength Novice routine with GOMAD. If you are not willing to gain that much weight but are still willing to put on 20-30 lbs total (maybe 15 lbs muscle and 10 lbs fat) then I'd recommend GSLP. If you are only willing to put on like 10-15 lbs total then I'd recommend GSLP or 5/3/1. If you are only willing to put on like 1-5 lbs then I'd recommend you stop wasting everyone's time pretending you want to be strong, since you would clearly not be serious about it.

Some people at the gym have done the Catalyst mass gain program and I have not been very impressed. It might be good for O-lifting, but for overall whole body strength and mass for those that don't have an O-lift fetish I think there are better programs.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

what is your end goal?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Samuel Stone Waters

Profile:

I'm not too concerned with gaining fat. Whatever it takes to increase my strength and performance I am willing to do. One thing to note is that I am lactose intolerant so I can't do GOMAD. As far as my experience level I would say I'm a Crossfit intermediate, but it is true that I don't have any experience with a truly consistent weightlifting routine.

As far as my goals I'd basically like to gain strength and increase my performance in strength based WODs. I've always been pretty skinny, and do well in WODs that are endurance based. However, I get killed in heavy WODs. I'm willing to sacrifice some of that endurance to get stronger. Are these the type of programs where you would do a bulking period followed by conditioning training afterwards?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

look up the threads on GSLP, W 5/3/1, CFFB, etc... lots of good programs out there that suit your goals... have fun
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Why can't you do anything consistent until summer? An attitude like that is pretty much defeat before you even begin.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Samuel Stone Waters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Why can't you do anything consistent until summer? An attitude like that is pretty much defeat before you even begin.
I'm pledging a fraternity right now. With that and trying to stay afloat in school I can't make it to the gym every day as much as I want to.