CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #491
Mike Johnson
Member Mike Johnson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix  AZ
Posts: 439
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

I am trying to figure out the correct weight and reps application to the 2:1 pull push ratio Wendler recommends. Do any of you follow this? Should I just pull double the volume of pushes regardless of weight, or should I throw in heavy sets of 5 at 80-90% of rows, pull ups, etc...?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #492
Dana Rice
Member Dana Rice is offline
 
Dana Rice's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 367
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

personally - I just do 1 pullup/chinup (unweighted) for every push rep. If you start doing 2-to-1 weighted pullups, think about the volume of pullups you'd be doing?

My bench assistance is 2 sets of 10 @60%, then 3 sets of 10 incline @60%

if I did 2-to-1 weighted, that would be 130 weighted pullups (if it were 5-5-5 week)

seems like a lot. I guess you could do kroc rows, but that still seems like a lot of volume.
__________________
m/34/5'10"/195#| Squat: 512| Deadlift: 606| Press: 235 | Bench: 415|
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #493
Mike Johnson
Member Mike Johnson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix  AZ
Posts: 439
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
personally - I just do 1 pullup/chinup (unweighted) for every push rep. If you start doing 2-to-1 weighted pullups, think about the volume of pullups you'd be doing?

My bench assistance is 2 sets of 10 @60%, then 3 sets of 10 incline @60%

if I did 2-to-1 weighted, that would be 130 weighted pullups (if it were 5-5-5 week)

seems like a lot. I guess you could do kroc rows, but that still seems like a lot of volume.
Yeah it does volume wise. I typically count, rows, db rows, face pulls and pullups/chinups. Just thinking maybe I should increase the weight on a few sets and to keep the balance with the higher weight pushing in the main sets. And I suck at weigted pullups.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #494
Michael Loucas
Member Michael Loucas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield  NJ
Posts: 1,373
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Cycle 6 Week 1 Press 5+

7 @ 170

Changing up assistance. I'm doing a pushup/pullup ladder going forward for my press and bench days, and on my off day (Saturday)

Its 10-20-30-40-50-40-30-20-10 with 50% of your max rep pullups between each set (2 in my case, conservative)

Then divide the number of pushups by 10 and thats how many minutes you rest. If you can't do all regular pushups, drop to your knees to finish out.

This kicked my ***. Saw it in another chin-up thread posted by an ex marine. I thought I'd be able to manage finishing at least on my knees.

I finished the 10 and 20 set, the first 10 in the 30 set I did regular, then I started doing them on my knees and by the 5th rep I was about to fail, so I just went to 20. Then did one more set of 10. Broke down like this

10-20-20(10 Knees)-10 (5 Knees)

I guess it is something I'll have to work up to. Next time I'm going to wait longer after finishing my upper body lift.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #495
Kevin Benson
Member Kevin Benson is offline
 
Kevin Benson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Parker  CO
Posts: 253
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Cycle 5, Deadlift 5+: 8 reps at 345lbs.

Assistance: BBB @ 205lbs. 4 circuits of 7 sit-ups w 25lbs, 6 hanging leg raises, 10/side side bends w/ 60lbs, 15 back raise to GHR.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #496
Dana Rice
Member Dana Rice is offline
 
Dana Rice's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 367
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Testing my 1rm's this week.

I hit 455 on Back squat (previous best was 430) and 365 on bench - paused rep. don't know what this equates to with a normal rep, but I'm guessing at or a little above my previous best of 380.

If you guys feel up to it - I have some form checks in the PL Meet thread.

any critiques would be welcome.
__________________
m/34/5'10"/195#| Squat: 512| Deadlift: 606| Press: 235 | Bench: 415|
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #497
Mike Johnson
Member Mike Johnson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix  AZ
Posts: 439
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Testing my 1rm's this week.

I hit 455 on Back squat (previous best was 430) and 365 on bench - paused rep. don't know what this equates to with a normal rep, but I'm guessing at or a little above my previous best of 380.

If you guys feel up to it - I have some form checks in the PL Meet thread.

any critiques would be welcome.
They all looked solid, your depth was more than adequate. The last "shaky" one didn't even look that shaky, nice work. You sure you can't work through another 10 lbs?
Edit the squat videos, didn't see the bench ones until just now.

Last edited by Mike Johnson : 05-16-2012 at 11:33 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #498
Collin Thompson
Member Collin Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Novato  CA
Posts: 657
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
Cycle 6 Week 1 Press 5+

7 @ 170

Changing up assistance. I'm doing a pushup/pullup ladder going forward for my press and bench days, and on my off day (Saturday)

Its 10-20-30-40-50-40-30-20-10 with 50% of your max rep pullups between each set (2 in my case, conservative)

Then divide the number of pushups by 10 and thats how many minutes you rest. If you can't do all regular pushups, drop to your knees to finish out.

This kicked my ***. Saw it in another chin-up thread posted by an ex marine. I thought I'd be able to manage finishing at least on my knees.

I finished the 10 and 20 set, the first 10 in the 30 set I did regular, then I started doing them on my knees and by the 5th rep I was about to fail, so I just went to 20. Then did one more set of 10. Broke down like this

10-20-20(10 Knees)-10 (5 Knees)

I guess it is something I'll have to work up to. Next time I'm going to wait longer after finishing my upper body lift.
I'm really interested in this - so it's like A1: 10 push-ups A2: 1/2 max pull-ups, rest 1 minute 20 push-ups, 1/2 max pull-ups, rest 2 min, etc.?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #499
Mike Johnson
Member Mike Johnson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix  AZ
Posts: 439
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

I failed today at deadlift x 1 day which I thought was the one lift I was still feeling pretty strong on. And at 325 in the 7th cycle which is actually 10 lbs lighter than my previous pr. I'm going to give it another shot when I get home to see if it was just a fluke morning
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #500
Michael Loucas
Member Michael Loucas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fairfield  NJ
Posts: 1,373
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
I'm really interested in this - so it's like A1: 10 push-ups A2: 1/2 max pull-ups, rest 1 minute 20 push-ups, 1/2 max pull-ups, rest 2 min, etc.?
I estimated my pullups (overhand) to 4 solid reps. So half of that is 2. So I would do the following:

2 pullups 10 pushups rest 1 minute.
2 pullups 20 pushups rest 2 minutes
2 pullups 30 pushups rest 3 minutes
2 pullups 40 pushups rest 4 minutes
2 pullups 50 pushups rest 5 minutes
2 pullups 40 pushups rest 4 minutes
2 pullups 30 pushups rest 3 minutes
2 pullups 20 pushups rest 2 minutes
2 pullups 10 pushups rest 1 minutes

After 2 weeks add a pullup

I can't even get through all the rounds yet.

This is the thread if anyone is interested:
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=75311

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 05-16-2012 at 09:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wendler 5/3/1 Ted Toal Fitness 62 12-26-2012 11:05 AM
New wendler work Richard Macaulay Fitness 0 12-21-2010 10:31 AM
Wendler Talking Troy Becker Fitness 0 07-31-2010 09:03 PM
Wendler 5/3/1 and crossfit Paul Crush Fitness 17 06-03-2010 11:10 AM
Here is what Wendler said Joshua Morgan Fitness 22 02-14-2010 08:08 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.