CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Tarun Nagpal

Profile:
Anyone doing the striking cert?

Saw the new striking cert and was wondering if anyone was planning on doing it?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Anthony Edgerton

Profile:
Re: Anyone doing the striking cert?

I am plan on attending the striking cert in March. Are you attending the January one?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Tarun Nagpal

Profile:

I am debating about doing it... I've been training muay thai entirely separate from crossfit and its been okay, so trying to decide whether I want to bother mixing them.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Does anyone know anything about George Ryan? The information in the course description is pretty thin, and I didn't find much about him on the web.

Katherine
Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
James Hwang

Profile:

George Ryan is an OUTSTANDING instructor. He is passionate about his teaching, patient with his students, and has an amazing level of knowledge.

George has been a member of LAPD SWAT since 1998 and is the Section Chairperson of the Defensive Tactics section of the the National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA). NTOA is a national organization and resource for special weapons and tactics teams (SWAT, SRT, HRT, etc) of law enforcement.

I am guessing that the reason you do not see a lot about George is that he is very humble and quiet about his credentials. His training speaks for itself. I have attended training conducted by him and he is amazing. His reputation in law enforcement is also outstanding.

I am confident that any training or course that he is involved in is outstanding. He not only has the background (credibility) to instruct, he has the skills to do the tasks he teaches, and he has the ability to teach you how to teach (since this is an instructor certification).
Old 01-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Do you know anything about his martial arts background? I wouldn't imagine that SWAT teams do all that much striking...

Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hwang View Post
George Ryan is an OUTSTANDING instructor. He is passionate about his teaching, patient with his students, and has an amazing level of knowledge.

George has been a member of LAPD SWAT since 1998 and is the Section Chairperson of the Defensive Tactics section of the the National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA). NTOA is a national organization and resource for special weapons and tactics teams (SWAT, SRT, HRT, etc) of law enforcement.

I am guessing that the reason you do not see a lot about George is that he is very humble and quiet about his credentials. His training speaks for itself. I have attended training conducted by him and he is amazing. His reputation in law enforcement is also outstanding.

I am confident that any training or course that he is involved in is outstanding. He not only has the background (credibility) to instruct, he has the skills to do the tasks he teaches, and he has the ability to teach you how to teach (since this is an instructor certification).
Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Do you know anything about his martial arts background? I wouldn't imagine that SWAT teams do all that much striking...

Katherine
I would rather see his "striking" background . I think I would rather see this background from boxing than TMA from my experience. Not sure about using 4oz mma gloves for bag work, at least heavy bag work. At least I wouldn't but I guess you would need to in order to go right to a pull up ....
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Tarun Nagpal

Profile:

I was surprised they didn't go with a MMA-type cert over just striking. I had this vision of WODS like seven rounds of seven roundkicks and seven power cleans for time to practice takedown work or something similar.

And, not knowing anything about how SWAT works, I have this idea they just club people with the butts of their guns. Probably from watching too much TV.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun Nagpal View Post
I was surprised they didn't go with a MMA-type cert over just striking. I had this vision of WODS like seven rounds of seven roundkicks and seven power cleans for time to practice takedown work or something similar.

And, not knowing anything about how SWAT works, I have this idea they just club people with the butts of their guns. Probably from watching too much TV.
I think it is a BIG missing element from Crossfit...the striking combat element. So I feel it's a really good idea to incorporatethese types of movements. The thing is for fitness/conditioning purposes there are many, many sites etc out there with this type of conditioning, circuits etc.... that people have been using for a long time.Fight conditioning programs. I don't know if really good technical striking is "super critical" for fitness purposes. Not saying it is not ideal but a cert for striking? Hmmmm.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
John Hansen

Profile:

This is nuts. $595! For comparison, do you know you can go to a two-day seminar with the legend Dan Inosanto for $180. Or do you know how many private one-on-on sessions with a professional boxing coach could you have for $600. (Up to 20.)

I always thought the high cost of the original cert was a de facto fee imposed by HQ in order for one to train clients. Paying $600 with no future dividends is, well, questionable.