CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:
Re: 7 Year Vegetarian - Meat Eating Experiment

Meghan and Rebecca

I'll probably read through those links tonight or tomorrow morning. Awesome!!!

Brendan:

Here's my for testing:

The sprints and short rows I can test after I warm up, before a WOD - each on a separate day.

The lifts should work the same way, as long as the WOD doesn't focus on those muscle groups the day I test.

The longer rows and runs I'll probably take a rest day, then dedicate a day to doing each.

Also, the two months of CF have created endurance on the drum set, which has actually improved my speed. There could be a point where I start to lose speed, but I'll know when it starts to happen.

Zane:

Yes, I absolutely have a tendency to over-think things. It serves me well in science and programming, but certainly creates a lot of unnecessary problems for myself in just about everything else I do! Honestly, I'm not that worried about eating cake. But, some of the other posters were wondering.

TM is awesome. I really think that most people would benefit if they were interested in learning. For athletes, I suspect it would help you stay centered in high-stress competitions.

I took a class with a man named Dr. Hagelin. It wasn't about TM, but he has an excellent intro to the science of TM on youtube. It's about 20 minutes long, though. I mean, I could sit hear and list reasons why TM is good for you, but Hagelin really has it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfIqvZLIZz8

Also, I took many classes with Dr. Fred Travis. He was one of the publishers of the study on the athletes from Norway (I can send the paper to anybody who is interested).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm5h1...feature=relmfu
(No, I'm not the one wearing the funky hat)

Gene

Yes, a vegetarian in SE Idaho. It's a struggle.

Dave

Yes, beer is a legitimate food group - especially in college. It's probably healthier than the stuff they serve in the dorms around here.

-sheldon

Last edited by Sheldon Kreger : 05-11-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Be sure to read Vegetarian Myth:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Myt...dp/1604860804/ (wfs)

It's a good starting place, and saves me from retyping everything (prompted by your question/comment about meat & dairy being bad for digestion).

If you google around, there's lots of conversation about the book, definitely worth the follow-up to see all sides of the argument.

In short, meat (protein) is more much efficient and dense and complete element of your diet, and humans evolved eating it. Being omnivores we can eat/not eat most anything, but that doesn't lead to optimal health. e.g. my college roommate survived a few weeks on ice cream alone.

But if you're careful, you can get most all the same results & health with a vegetarian diet, you just have to be aware and educated about what adaptations you need to make.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #23
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I think Crossfit and similar type workouts tend to attract a lot of Type A Chronic Overthinkers. I mean, honestly, we all spend a significant amount of time on this board arguing about eating bananas and we obsessively record our workouts and celebrate 3 second personal bests.

I say this with love because I am that person, and I'm also the person that sometimes gets so caught up in planning/researching that I forget to DO. It's fun to learn and it's fun to treat yourself as a n=1 experiment. And I'm really glad to see that you are trying a lot of different ways of eating to see what works for you. When all is said and done, there's no study that can prove anything if you have tried something on yourself and seen results.

Also, this is without a doubt one of the most civilized vegetarian/meat-eating threads we've had yet, so thanks to all for that.

OP, while you're researching, please look into Joel Salatin's Polyface Farm. You'll see that eating meat doesn't mean eating from a disgusting, unsustainable CAFO. In fact, there are many resources out there that raise cows, chickens, pigs etc in a way that sustains and nourishes the land around them. The animals - their life and humane death - are a very important part of the life cycle of the environment in which they live.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #24
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
On the contrary, white people are generally better able to digest dairy products.
This.

Europeans and Middle Easterners are the most lactose tolerant people (by percentage of poopulation) on the planet by a substantial margin.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #25
Zane Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post

Also, this is without a doubt one of the most civilized vegetarian/meat-eating threads we've had yet, so thanks to all for that.
Yes, I was very pleased about this also. Most conversations on this subject go like this - http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=19491 (WFS)
Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #26
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
Yes, I was very pleased about this also. Most conversations on this subject go like this - http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=19491 (WFS)
"Promotion of non-vegan diets have no place on VF, continue to do this and you'll be asked to leave."

Wow, that's the equivalent of everyone standing in a group and just nodding at each other. "yup, you're right, I totally agree." "OMG, BRILLIANT! You're SO right." Dissent makes the discussion fun.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #27
Zane Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
"Promotion of non-vegan diets have no place on VF, continue to do this and you'll be asked to leave."

Wow, that's the equivalent of everyone standing in a group and just nodding at each other. "yup, you're right, I totally agree." "OMG, BRILLIANT! You're SO right." Dissent makes the discussion fun.
I can kind of understand that rule. I mean, on other fitness forums you're probably spending a lot of time going back and forth over the whole meat/vegan issue. I'm sure it gets exhausting. So, it's probably more enjoyable for them to be with like-minded folks. However, it might cause you to lose perspective if you don't realize you've locked yourself in an echo chamber.

Sorry OP... Back on track... how's the experiment going?

Last edited by Zane Jones : 05-13-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #28
Chris Mason

Profile:

Maybe I missed it, but why the change in the diet in the first place? Are you trying to gain weight? Do you not like the way you look?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #29
Daniel Sont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
Wow... i didn't realise vegetarians were such stuck-up obnoxious.... zzzzz. at least the ones on that forum are...
Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #30
John McCord

Profile:

Jason Peacock - Your shirt is awesome, I must have one..

Sorry OP, I just had to say that.