CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
Steve Bray

Profile:
butterfly kips

I seriously cant do it. no matter how many youtube/tutorial videos i watch i just cant string them together. i can do one and stop. one and stop. any tips that helped you! i might hear something different on here that will help

also on a fun not i learnt the role forward technique on the rings this morning... pretty fun
Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Re: butterfly kips

I am really struggling on connecting them too. One thing that has helped me a bit is really pushing away at the top and making sure my head comes through the window at the bottom....then with the legs/hips it is almost like pedaling a bike backward. That may make no sense, so I apologize for not being able to help more.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
I am really struggling on connecting them too. One thing that has helped me a bit is really pushing away at the top and making sure my head comes through the window at the bottom....then with the legs/hips it is almost like pedaling a bike backward. That may make no sense, so I apologize for not being able to help more.
What, through the window at the bottom on butterfly kips? Are you sure that's not for a regular gymnastic kip?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Chris Hede

Profile:

I have the exact opposite problem. I never really could get the hang of regular kipping, but butterfly kip I can string pretty well. I kinda picture it like I'm doing the worm vertically.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
I seriously cant do it. no matter how many youtube/tutorial videos i watch i just cant string them together. i can do one and stop. one and stop. any tips that helped you! i might hear something different on here that will help

also on a fun not i learnt the role forward technique on the rings this morning... pretty fun
Unless you're competing and seconds saved matter to you, you and your shoulders will be better off without the butterfly kip.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
Unless you're competing and seconds saved matter to you, you and your shoulders will be better off without the butterfly kip.
The only style of butterfly kip I don't like is when you drop straight down from the top.

If you keep your chest moving in a circular manner, you don't have that abrupt change of direction at the bottom. All that force when you change direction is absorbed by your shoulder.

If you keep a circular motion it isn't nearly as bad, and it feels smooth, there is a constant "tension" in your shoulder and I feel there is less banging or jarring than in the chinese kip.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Start small and work on finding the rhythm before trying full chin-over-bar pull-ups. Get your feet back as soon as you can, and as far back as you can.

Scoop forward with your feet, keep arms straight and allow your upper body to travel away from the bar, then pull yourself toward the bar as you pull your feet back.

You can also work each part individually:
Scooping with the feet and getting them back, keep repeating.
Arms straight forcing your upper body back (like a front lever), then making a circular motion up toward the bar, then going downward and past it, then circling back away (straight arms)...

It becomes a lot easier when you start small and get the rhythm first. Most people try to do full butterfly's when learning--some can do it, others can't.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
now that you mention it i am actually competing in a local event inthe beginners level :P

i got my 3 handstand pushups today nose to the ground.. thats 3 more than yesterday.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Michael Lynch

Profile:

Speaking of butterfly kips, I've recently been improving on my BK. I can string out 10-15 reps (maybe 20 if I focus) before my rhythm goes to shiit. What I don't like is that my fingers/grip hurts more when doing the BF compared to a regular kip. I can do twice as many regular kipping reps before my fingers/grip starts to fatigue. Now I under why I've seen videos of people tearing when doing high volume BKs

I've seen the video on Mark Rippetoe (sp) grip technique and I practice his technique for regular kipping.

Do you all experience the same issue with BK?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
i got my 3 handstand pushups today nose to the ground.. thats 3 more than yesterday.
For handstand pushups, presumably against a wall face shouldnt be facing the ground. Therefore nose to the ground = Should be hair to ground?