CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Ivan Wolfe
Member Ivan Wolfe is offline
 
Ivan Wolfe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tempe  AZ
Posts: 474
Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

I just signed up for a Warrior Dash in April. I don't want to wear my Sprint VFFs, since thy will likely get too much junk in them. I was going to use this as an excused to splurge for a pair of KSOs (I got my sprints before KSOs were on the market), but now I see so many other types of VFFs that some might be a little better for what the Warrior Dash needs.

Any suggestions from those who know?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

If I was doing a Warrior Dash I would want a lot more foot protection than VFFs could offer, even if they were KSOs. I've got KSOs and wouldn't wear them for trail running, much less something like the Dash. You'll probably want to go with something like a sturdy trail shoe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Anson Castelvecchi
Member Anson Castelvecchi is offline
 
Anson Castelvecchi's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury  NC
Posts: 340
Wink Re: Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Wolfe View Post
I just signed up for a Warrior Dash in April. I don't want to wear my Sprint VFFs, since thy will likely get too much junk in them. I was going to use this as an excused to splurge for a pair of KSOs (I got my sprints before KSOs were on the market), but now I see so many other types of VFFs that some might be a little better for what the Warrior Dash needs.

Any suggestions from those who know?
My wife and I wore our KSOs and they were great, so issues with the mud etc. I'll be wearing them again for next Spring's race as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Aaron Cawley
Member Aaron Cawley is offline
 
Aaron Cawley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin  TX
Posts: 110
Re: Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

i doubt that i would wear vffs to the warrior dash. i think the vffs would be just fine for the event, i just think whatever shoes you wear will be ruined afterward. the shoes i wore were, and it looked like many others felt the same way judging by the pile of shoes at the event.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	154652_1489120711932_1351385648_31160634_7183750_n.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	7356  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Anson Castelvecchi
Member Anson Castelvecchi is offline
 
Anson Castelvecchi's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury  NC
Posts: 340
Re: Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Cawley View Post
i doubt that i would wear vffs to the warrior dash. i think the vffs would be just fine for the event, i just think whatever shoes you wear will be ruined afterward. the shoes i wore were, and it looked like many others felt the same way judging by the pile of shoes at the event.
Mud will not ruin Vibrams, you just wash them and hang dry. I've been wearing mine for 2 years in all kinds of weather, these things are solid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Ivan Wolfe
Member Ivan Wolfe is offline
 
Ivan Wolfe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tempe  AZ
Posts: 474
Re: Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson Castelvecchi View Post
Mud will not ruin Vibrams, you just wash them and hang dry. I've been wearing mine for 2 years in all kinds of weather, these things are solid.
yeah - I've put my sprints through some serious crap, but the laundry fixes 'em up just right.

Some of the new models claim they are better for things like the Warrior Dash, but I'm not sure how to differentiate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Aaron Cawley
Member Aaron Cawley is offline
 
Aaron Cawley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin  TX
Posts: 110
Re: Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

i have been wearing mine for about 2 years as well and wear them everywhere and for everything. but i wouldn't wear them to the dash.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Robbie Southards
Member Robbie Southards is offline
 
Robbie Southards's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rapid City  SD
Posts: 56
Re: Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

I wear my KSOs for 5k trail runs in mud/snow/ice mix and have really no problem with them.

Only thing I find difficult is the ice if you want traction for a better sprint. But that problem was the same for any shoe I wore, so I continued to wear the KSO.


To answer your question on which is better, I wish I could help, but I haven't only experienced running in the KSOs for VFFs.
__________________
M/27/5'7"/164lbs.Squat:370lbs,Deadlift:420lbs,C&J: 245lbs,OHS:225lbs,Bench:265lbs,5k:19:20avg.Fav Girl:Linda(23mins). Fav Hero:Badger (27mins)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Anson Castelvecchi
Member Anson Castelvecchi is offline
 
Anson Castelvecchi's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury  NC
Posts: 340
Re: Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Cawley View Post
i have been wearing mine for about 2 years as well and wear them everywhere and for everything. but i wouldn't wear them to the dash.
Why, don't want to risk damaging them? I found that I slipped less than most of the other runners.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
Ivan Wolfe
Member Ivan Wolfe is offline
 
Ivan Wolfe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tempe  AZ
Posts: 474
Re: Best VFFs for the Warrior Dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson Castelvecchi View Post
Why, don't want to risk damaging them? I found that I slipped less than most of the other runners.
I take my VFFs for short term mountain hiking. I find on rocky descents I go a little slower, yes, but otherwise they are totally better in nearly every way. The Dash is three miles (with crazy obstacles, of course) and it seems like they would be better.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warrior dash Jason Wallis Competitions 61 03-17-2011 07:28 PM
Northeast Warrior Dash Patrick Skinner Competitions 11 01-21-2011 02:30 PM
Warrior Dash Casey Raiford Community 7 08-24-2010 02:05 PM
Anyone try the Warrior Dash? Eva Bigongiari Competitions 109 04-21-2010 05:51 AM
Warrior Dash Todd Crawford Competitions 1 02-24-2010 03:47 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.