CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Chad Racine

Profile:
Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
I have always wondered whether it is the people that make CrossFit so inviting or CrossFit that makes the people so inviting?
Probably a mix of the two.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Meanwhile, the OP is listed as "Departed" after only one non-offensive post....that's gotta be some kind of a record.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
Steve Hayman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taide Baez View Post
Hello everyone! I just joined Crossfit this week at a box near my house. We needed to complete a week of the intro stuff and we start the "real deal" on Monday. This week, we did (2) 4 minute drills - push-ups, burpies, jerks, bf situps, etc. It was doable but I stayed and watched another "real" class and it looked insane. Needless to say, I'm now intimidated. I am not an athlete. I have worked out on/off for the last 12 years. I'm 30 years young. I'll always get into my workouts for a few months or a year and then get bored and not do anything for another few months. I joined crossfit because I heard that it's always something different and the camaraderie keeps you motivated. But after seeing what the regular classes do, I'm nervous. I'm not overweight but wouldn't mind losing a few pounds but more than anything I want to get strong and toned. Any words of encouragement for a newbie?

I've been xfitting for about 8 months myself and can't get enough. Positive results are inevitable and happen quickly if you stick with it regularly. I am 43 yrs old and am in the best shape of my life - not an exaggeration - due to Crossfit and the incredibly awesome box (Beaverton Crossfit btw) I visit 5 times per week.

Nervousness is understandable. The workouts can be flat out insane at times. However, they can always be scaled if necessary. A couple suggestions:

- ALWAYS finish the workout if possible, even if you need to scale down weight. You'll feel better about it later.
- Check your ego at the door. Crossfit WILL kick your *** on a frequent basis - best not to let it get you down when it does. Even the elites sometimes end up gasping for air, flat on their backs.
- NEVER sacrifice form for more weight (especially deadlifts) on lifts. It's not worth the risk of injury.
- When necessary, forget about the clock. It can tempt you to take short-cuts, which is the opposite of what Crossfit preaches.
- Do ALL the work with proper form and push to finish every rep with full range of motion, even if it means you're done 10 minutes slower than the next slowest person. I've witnessed folks cheating (not doing all the reps) then quit a few weeks later. Don't cheat yourself.

Welcome to Crossfit!
Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
Carina McDonald

Profile:

I'm 3 weeks in (after 5 intro sessions) and I STILL get nervous every day before a WOD. I can't even log on to our site and see what is in store... makes me too nervous - don't like giving my brain a chance to think "you want me to do WHAT?"
Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #15
Tom Jones Jr

Profile:

Tone? Do or do not, there is no tone.

And for what it's worth, there is a theory that if you are not atleast slightly apprehensive about the task you are about to perform, then it is not going to challenge you, i.e-it's too easy.

Before some certain WOD's i am pretty nervous, occasionally even to the point where i'm about to bolt for the door, but it's ok, controlled fear is actually beneficial in some circumstances