CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: swine flue true statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
I wish people would actually take the time to research before they post. There actually is a "pneumonia vaccine". Here's the link

http://www.medicinenet.com/pneumococ...on/article.htm

And yes, I'm sure there is a company somewhere making money off of this.
I stand corrected then--never heard of one. Wish we had access to it here or it was more widespread, because every training cycle we end up dropping about 10% of our Marine recruits to the medical rehab platoons for pneumonia or similar URIs.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I stand corrected then--never heard of one. Wish we had access to it here or it was more widespread, because every training cycle we end up dropping about 10% of our Marine recruits to the medical rehab platoons for pneumonia or similar URIs.
pneumonia vaccine is handed out like tylenol in hospitals. In fact your made to sign a paper that you were offered one at discharge. I think the corp doesnt want the expense of paying that vaccine as high density living, serious challenged immune systems do to beat up bodies, shoddy sleep and a massive exposure to alot of new germs and viruses that most likely they are going to get it regardless.. Some bodies just cant tolerate the viral exposure of boot camp or close quarter living. And remember pneumonia comes in two flavours.. bacterial and viral. It would be interesting to see which of the two is the flavour favourite.

ah.. found this and it answers your question eric.
http://mdm.sagepub.com/cgi/content/a...ppl/S45?ck=nck wfs do note the orgin of the article and study.
Conclusions.Use of the S. pneumoniae vaccine in young adults would provide modest reductions in pneumonia-associated morbidity and mortality. Vaccination of young adults is moderately expensive unless vaccine efficacy is above 50% to 60%.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 10-31-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
"so health officials can respond more quickly to the outbreak, which, allegedly, has killed more than 1,000 people in the United States."

How many people have died of the common cold/flu/pneumonia during this same time period? My guess is it's a number a lot bigger than 1,000. Unfortunately there's no cold or pneumonia vaccines for the medical industry to get rich off of....I can't help but wonder who benefits every time a "crisis" is announced.
here this is related to your comment
wfs
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/504779_3
Old 10-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
Randy Hill

Profile:

I am in the military and have heard that we're going to be required to get the H1N1 shot. Really not looking forward to it after doing research.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
I'm not sure "true" is a word I would readily apply to Dr. Mercola : http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html (WFS). I'd certainly take anything from his website with a large grain of salt, and look for other sources of information. Mercola's assessment of the situation is fraught with non-sequiturs, well-poisoning, red herrings, and a host of other logical fallacies.

Think before you drink that Kool Aid.
Quoting quackwatch? The guy who runs that site is more of a looney tune than anyone!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
Actually, the patients who have been hospitalized for H1N1 have been tested and confirmed, 19 of which were kids who died. Do those statistics not count?
if they are went through lab then definitely yes. But they are talking about more than 1000 cases since the beginning of the year, and by the end of august there were only around 400 confirmed cases at which point they stopped doing lab tests for confirmation. The question was where this number more than 1000 dead came from.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 10-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #17
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
if they are went through lab then definitely yes. But they are talking about more than 1000 cases since the beginning of the year, and by the end of august there were only around 400 confirmed cases at which point they stopped doing lab tests for confirmation. The question was where this number more than 1000 dead came from.
Some County department of health are still reporting H1n1 cases. If you dont know what a county is : its a district or township admin centre.. newmarket is in the district of york. But the actual source is the coroner or medical examiners themselves are reporting it, and who do they work for ? ...the county.
so the family tree of the process of reporting from the top down.. cdc ( centre of disease control-> Federal department of health-> state dept of health -> county dept of health -> hospital / clinic etc.
Since hospital deaths are reportable to the med examiner in most instances and they sign off on the cause of death and that paperwork goes up the chain. Testing of certain diseases like STDs are reported to the county, chickenpox, tb and some counties want pneumonia to be report ( major headache) . But because they stop testing h1n1 does not mean people dont die from it.
wfs
http://www.cdc.gov/H1n1flu/update.htm
Key Flu Indicators

October 30, 2009, 1:30 PM

Each week CDC analyzes information about influenza disease activity in the United States and publishes findings of key flu indicators in a report called FluView. During the week of October 18-24, 2009, a review of the key indictors found that influenza activity continued to increase in the United States from the previous week. Below is a summary of the most recent key indicators:

* Visits to doctors for influenza-like illness (ILI) increased steeply since last week in the United States, and overall, are much higher than what is expected for this time of the year. ILI activity now is higher than what is seen during the peak of many regular flu seasons.
* Total influenza hospitalization rates for laboratory-confirmed flu are climbing and are higher than expected for this time of year. Hospitalization rates continue to be highest is younger populations with the highest hospitalization rate reported in children 0-4 years old.
* The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and has been higher than what is expected at this time of year for four weeks now. In addition, 22 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week; 19 of these deaths were confirmed 2009 H1N1, and three were influenza A viruses, but were not subtyped. Since April 2009, CDC has received reports of 114 laboratory-confirmed pediatric 2009 H1N1 deaths and another 12 pediatric deaths that were laboratory confirmed as influenza, but where the flu virus subtype was not determined.

* Forty-eight states are reporting widespread influenza activity at this time. They are: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. This many reports of widespread activity are unprecedented during seasonal flu.
* Almost all of the influenza viruses identified so far are 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses. These viruses remain similar to the virus chosen for the 2009 H1N1 vaccine, and remain susceptible to the antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir with rare exception.

I personally can stand up say that two of the patents i had contact with 4 weeks ago.. dead at day 5 post admission/dx h1n1 and day 16. admission flu dx h1n1
Old 10-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #18
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Pr
4) Southern hemisphere finished their winter season without N1H1 pandemic.
But to date .. look at the clusters.
http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/healtht...ld_Map_web.jpg wfs
interesting that the middle east has quite the cluster.. I wander if this is due to the large number of expats/ military people in theatre?

Plus... now they are out of winter, and the northern hemisphere is in winter, and the lemmings will leave the cold weather and head where? South. and what will they bring with them??? a flu virus. Then we will see a pop in numbers again.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 10-31-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 AM   #19
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

that's very interesting info Frank, thanks! I will have to go over it. From the first glance though as you can see numbers of confirmed H1N1 is extremely low
Quote:
Since April 2009, CDC has received reports of 114 laboratory-confirmed pediatric 2009 H1N1 deaths and another 12 pediatric deaths that were laboratory confirmed as influenza, but where the flu virus subtype was not determined.
also if you look at the data provided by SENTINEL PROVIDERS it is all about ILI, not H1N1, and even that is not major. It is 1% higher on the charts and that's out of total illnesses reported with number of total illnesses not different from previous year. Please do not forget that about 36,000 deaths occur every year from ILI.
Quote:
The 2009 H1N1 influenza virus is the predominant influenza virus in circulation in most countries worldwide.
what is that statement is base on? H1N1 has same symptoms as any other ILI. what do they base info like that on? I honestly was not able to find it yet.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 11-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #20
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Quote:
what is that statement is base on? H1N1 has same symptoms as any other ILI. what do they base info like that on? I honestly was not able to find it yet.
Wow I didn't have to look very hard, first google hit here is US data (wfs): http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/ From the CDC:

Quote:
Nationwide during week 42, 8.0% of patient visits reported through the U.S. Outpatient Influenza-like Illness Surveillance Network (ILINet) were due to influenza-like illness (ILI). This percentage is above the national baseline of 2.3%.
42.1% [of] specimens tested by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories and reported to CDC/Influenza Division were positive for influenza.
All subtyped influenza A viruses being reported to CDC were 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses.