CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Steve Kaspar

Profile:
100% lost and confused

listening dr. barry sears he says saturated fats are bad . eat foods without sat. fats. reading strengtmill, mark rip. says drink a gallon whole milk a day. lots of people post here and other sites commenting on how sat. fats are bad. answer is always, they are not bad. i think mark rip said this, lots of people on this site say skim is worse than whole milk.. dr. sears says egg whites, all workout sites say whole eggs..
runners eat a diet a bit higher in carbs. and these are worldclass runners .10k guys, 5k guys.of course they have the best coaches /nutritionists. they eat rice ,pasta, whole grain breads. dr barry says get carbs from berries and apples.. no pasta, rice breads???so a world class coach/ nutritionist says a, another world class dr says b. i read on some crossfit paperwork where dr. uffe ravnskov says consumption of animal protein and cholesterol will not cause heart disease..
why does dr sears say dont eat whole eggs, and dr. uffe say its ok??
there a picture of greg amundson and his diet.. breakfast, 5 whole eggs.
1 1/2 apples, 10 nuts. why whole eggs? does this mean he is following dr. uffe's info and not dr sears? lance armstrongs coach/dietitian has him eating tons of pasta,bread, rice potatoes. if this is bad, would he get his carbs from apples and berries then per dr. sears??
bottom line, is whole milk bad for you? can we eat whole eggs? whats good and whats bad?? very confusing.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Andrew Lambert

Profile:
Re: 100% lost and confused

There definitely seems to be lots of contradicting nutrition info. I think if you're as active as lance armstrong whose aerobic capacity is so highly developed that his resting HR is in the low 30s, then you probably will require the whole grains. There also seems to be general health eating and pure fitness eating. I'm here with you though man.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

You do what works for YOUURRRRRRRRRRRR body.

Just because "something" works for 99% of the population doesn't mean it will work for you.

It's likely that Paleo will work near optimal for MOST people, but that doesn't mean it may for you. Just a higher likelyhood that it might. Depending on your sport of course.

Experiment and find out what works.... FOR YOU AND YOUR SPORT.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Steve Kaspar

Profile:

steven
as always thanks for your kind comments..
i'm looking more into whats good and bad for me... long run...on my insides i cant see. my "diet" now is what i think good..oatmeal, bananas(not good per dr sears)
skim milk and whole milk, pasta with olive oil is aways good. all veggies (corn peas rice) no good per the dr..fish all lean meats(pork, beef, turkey chicken)
i feel strong and very good... but there is no sense eating like i am if its bad for me in the long run.i have a power bar, or a cliff bar, pbj sandwiches on whole grain bread( bread not good per the dr.)
so i think i eat well. but is it well enough to keep the dr away in 10-20-30 years. the whole milk, whole eggs is whats sooooo confusing. good one day. bad for you the next .. any studies saying what these two are?? good or bad?
thank you
Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Whole milk -- if you're not allergic
Whole eggs -- if you're active you need the sat fat/cholesterol for hormone production

Fat is not bad... but can be if you're sedentary and overweight.
Carbs are not bad... but can be if you're sedentary and eat too many

Heh....
Old 10-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Jason David

Profile:

So with that...you were hoping for the final answer to all of your questions from the CF boards?? Be yourself, do the research and make the decisions based on that.

You won't find a heck of a lot of people out there telling you that meat, veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar is a bad diet.

relax, take time to read up. Make changes when necessary - If you eat eggs for a few years and it turns out they're the you probably won't be in the hospital with heart disease.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:

Something about the Zone/insulin spike/carbs-are-bad thing that puzzles me, but maybe someone with more knowledge in this area can clarify:

As I understand it, sugary stuff or refined carbs cause wicked insulin spikes. As I also understand it, carbs with enough fiber (and/or protein?) along for the ride will slow down your digestion of the food, and not cause a wicked insulin spike (apple, for example). So, I often hear people that are trying to Zone more effectively talking about various no-no foods, I assume because of the insulin response they trigger. However, this seems predicated on the assumption that any of these given foods is eaten in a vaccuum, with nothing else. Could one simply ameliorate the quickly-digested and thus insulin-spiking no-no food with some amount of fibery goodness at the same time?

I should point out that I understand that it would make more sense to just eat something that's not going to cause you problems in the first place, so I'm kind of just what-if-ing. But it struck me today as I was eating a double cheeseburger on a white bun that maybe if there was enough other stuff with it, it might not cause the havoc it could on its own.

White bread and marshmallow creme sandwich with milled flax seeds, anyone?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
Something about the Zone/insulin spike/carbs-are-bad thing that puzzles me, but maybe someone with more knowledge in this area can clarify:

As I understand it, sugary stuff or refined carbs cause wicked insulin spikes. As I also understand it, carbs with enough fiber (and/or protein?) along for the ride will slow down your digestion of the food, and not cause a wicked insulin spike (apple, for example). So, I often hear people that are trying to Zone more effectively talking about various no-no foods, I assume because of the insulin response they trigger. However, this seems predicated on the assumption that any of these given foods is eaten in a vaccuum, with nothing else. Could one simply ameliorate the quickly-digested and thus insulin-spiking no-no food with some amount of fibery goodness at the same time?

I should point out that I understand that it would make more sense to just eat something that's not going to cause you problems in the first place, so I'm kind of just what-if-ing. But it struck me today as I was eating a double cheeseburger on a white bun that maybe if there was enough other stuff with it, it might not cause the havoc it could on its own.

White bread and marshmallow creme sandwich with milled flax seeds, anyone?
Yes, you can mitigate insulin spiking from carbs with more fiber, more protein, more fat, etc.

Or just eat well.

If I do eat some candy (usually chocolate if anything as hard candy has little redeeming value) I usually eat it with nuts (higher fat content) to slow absorption so I don't crash.

This is the principle of eating balanced meats like Zone prescribes.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

Still, eating fiber or fat to slow down insulin spike will only change the GI of the sugary food. You can't really change the GL (glycemic load) that way. If you eat a whole bunch of carbs you are flooding your system with insulin, whether it be in a spike or over time. The former might be better than the latter but it doesn't make it good.

To the OP:
Nutrition is complicated enough that consensus on all things is far far away for now. This means that like David wrote you will have to do your own research on each topic and see how convincing is the evidence and arguments for each side. Combine that with personal experience and preferences and you are golden.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Yes, you can mitigate insulin spiking from carbs with more fiber, more protein, more fat, etc.

Or just eat well.

If I do eat some candy (usually chocolate if anything as hard candy has little redeeming value) I usually eat it with nuts (higher fat content) to slow absorption so I don't crash.

This is the principle of eating balanced meats like Zone prescribes.
However, some proteins can actually contribute to insulin spikes. I'm not sure which ones exactly. But perhaps this is the reasoning for the "fist-sized" portion of protein for each meal.