CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Dave Lemanczyk

Profile:
Road Work - Old School meets New School

Many of the athletes I work with enjoy challenges. When they are ready and demonstrate physical and mental proficiency, I give 'em one!

Road work is something that oldtime fighters used to do. Since many of them trained up in mountains, they would run, then perform calisthenics, then run more, and keep repeating the drills over and over until the distance was covered. Many people nowadays look for the quick fix but don't look good. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I always thought it was key to turn back the clock to the things that worked. Things like hard work, mental toughness, pain tolerance, and overcoming physical challenges!

For the athletes I train, one mile is a sufficient starting point and the resistance is a steel keg. An empty keg is perfect for this type of training since it feels like is filled after ten minutes of this. I tell me athletes to hold the keg anywhere they want to during the jog. In all reality, it makes no difference because the body gets CRUSHED by the extra resistance. You will be amazed how something 30 pounds can absolutely destroy you.

The next time you are ready to challenge yourself, do some road work. This is a workout that will take you about three days to recover from and the eating post workout will be legendary. You can pick up a keg at a beer distributor for anywhere between $10-$20. This is a training implement that will last a lifetime. I have 4 of them in my home gym filled with water, sand, rocks, and an empty one (for road work). Give it a shot and trust me, you'll turn heads and get into scary ridiculous shape!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Andrew Thompson

Profile:
Re: Road Work - Old School meets New School

I use a water filled keg for snatches, cleans, presses, etc.. I use a sandbag for all kinds of stuff as well.

I was working out in my front yard one time (no backyard at the house I was in). Neighbor comes by and says "hey let me try that". I said sure.

After a couple of ground to overhead reps with the keg, and some squats and shouldering with the sandbag, these were his exact words "This feels more like physical labor than working out."
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Tom Woodward

Profile:

they're fun to throw around too.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
Brian Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Thompson View Post
After a couple of ground to overhead reps with the keg, and some squats and shouldering with the sandbag, these were his exact words "This feels more like physical labor than working out."
This is an interesting line in that it encompasses the unfortunate perception that "working out" has garnered throughout most of society. It's the reason why people find the closest parking spot wherever they go (even the gym!), take elevators/escalators, eschew heavy snow shoveling and the like and then hit the gym for a workout.

"Working out' has gained a definition and expectation with most people that they isolate from other physical labor that is often more efficient and laborious. "The gym" has become a magical box inside of which exercise occurs and outside of which it is avoided. It's absurd and almost always counterproductive, to say the least.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone View Post
This is an interesting line in that it encompasses the unfortunate perception that "working out" has garnered throughout most of society. It's the reason why people find the closest parking spot wherever they go (even the gym!), take elevators/escalators, eschew heavy snow shoveling and the like and then hit the gym for a workout.

"Working out' has gained a definition and expectation with most people that they isolate from other physical labor that is often more efficient and laborious. "The gym" has become a magical box inside of which exercise occurs and outside of which it is avoided. It's absurd and almost always counterproductive, to say the least.
Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly what to say to him. I also thought it was an interesting comment for the exact same reasons you stated.