CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Tina Dobson

Profile:
Re: Smoking While CFing ?

When I first started running I smoked a little over a pack of menthols a day. LOL Wayyyyyy long time ago. My doctor could never figure out how I could do it (run, smoke, have great blood pressure and lung capacity). The up side is, most people who smoke and then adapt a serious workout plan eventually DO decide to give it up. In fact, people who begin working out at the time they quit have a dramatically higher long term quit rate. So I'd say the person will probably end up making a decision. A lot of times it is a matter of getting that person addicted to working out first. Just get them started and then they'll take it from there.

And yes, quitting smoking is the one of the most difficult things you will ever do, but once you quit, you can't imagine ever going back.

Eight or so years into not smoking, I cannot even fathom ever having a cigarette now!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

Wow, that is incredible, both the pack-a-day menthols and the canoeing Marlboro man. I sure hope she quits but it seems now that at least smoking won't exclude her from CrossFit as I had feared.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #13
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i quit smoking 3 years ago. i used to be able to light up after a gnarly hour and a half hike at the summit no problem, didnt even phase me. recently the thoughts of having a cigarette keep crossing my mind and i instantly dismiss miss them because immediately following those thoughts is thought of trying to get through metcons after starting again.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #14
Joshua Hass

Profile:

Have her switch to dipping Copenhagen, that way she can do it WHILE CFing...

I jest, of course, but June 1st will be 9 years smoke free for me. I was able to go gold turkey and it was difficult, and amazingly it still is at times, if I'm in a social situation where people are smoking and alcohol is involved.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #15
Jon Van Woerkom

Profile:

Seems to me that CF'ing and smoking contradict each other. Though smoking may not immediately effect performance, from an overall health standpoint everyone should stop smoking. The risk of heart disease and lung cancer in smokers is well documented. This may not happen overnight, but over time the risks are considerably higher for those that smoke. Afterall, Isn't CF'ing as much about a healthly lifestyle as well as peak athletic performance?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #16
Jonathan A Wood

Profile:

Thanks Wendy for the support I will continue to try to quit I am just a very stressed person when I tried to quit the last time I started to loose sleep. I made three days but two days with about 2 hours of sleep and I take it anymore.

Best of luck to you and your friend she's lucky to have someone there to support her.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #17
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

I was standing on the Summit of Orizaba, the 3rd highest peak in north america at 18,500 ft, when a guide and his Japanese client made it to the summit. The client proceeded to light up a cigarette and take in the view. I couldn't believe it.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
Brian Collins

Profile:

Well I know how hard quitting smoking really is as I have tried it many times and been unsuccessful. That is until I discovered CrossFit at the beginning of my current rotation to Iraq.

I have always been able to smoke and be in pretty good shape. I run sub-eleven minute 2 mile times for the PT test and most of the older guys in my unit are always in disbelief because I was smoking about a half a pack a day. I've always hated the fact that I've smoked but anyone in who smokes and serves in the military can agree I believe, that smoking is extremely hard to quit because it seems like everyone around you is smoking as well.

A few days after arriving in country, my buddy and I were all amped up to start the easy to manage workout routine we do while deployed. One of the days we decided to do a WOD I had done with another friend about 6 months back. I knew it was a CrossFit workout but I hadn't done much else than that one. So we did it and of course ended up being very sore the next day. My buddy, Josh, who I did the workout with, knew about CrossFit as well as he has another friend who had great success with it and turned his body and life around. So we decided to try another CrossFit workout the next day, and the day after that. Soon we found ourselves completely engulfed in a daily regimen of WODs.

I was smoking at the time, as I have been for the last 5 or 6 years. I planned to stop once returning from this deployment as I figured there would be no way I could do it WHILE deployed. But a couple more weeks into some crazy WODs and I realized I needed to quit the stupid habit ASAP. I went to the medics who prescribed me a mild anti-depressant called bupropion, which I believe is wellbutrin but I'm not sure. Its the typical prescription for the Army's Smoking Cessation Program. I went about 6 days taking the drug and continuing to smoke and then I quit altogether. That was about 2 months ago and I haven't had a single cigarette since then. Being around it really bothers me and I really have about zero desire to pick it back up again. I really dont even know how much effect the drug had on me as I did not give it enough time to really get into my system. I believe the effect was more psychosematic.

I've tried to quit before and the longest I went was three months. However, those three months were tough on me as I wanted to smoke badly at times. This go around, it hasn't been about how long I've gone without a cigarette and I dont really have cravings. Its been about enjoying being free of a habit I have hated myself for having. Its about knowing what good I'm doing for my body and how I'm increasing my ability to perform the daily workout out to my maximum potential. Its also about not subjecting my week-old son Jack to the filth and rotten smell of cigarettes. And then there's saving great amounts of money too...

So thank you CrossFit, if nothing else, you've helped me clean up my act! Now if only they served moderately healthy food here... I'll say this last: The Army wants everyone to adhere to their weight/body fat % standards. I myself have never had a problem with this thankfully, but I have friends that do struggle. Why then, does the Army provide what seems like nothing but Soda, Cake, Pie, Candy, Honey buns, Brownies and other nonsense for snacks while we're deployed? AT A MINIMUM, give us a choice. And I dont mean MREs... or Jimmy Deans....

Last edited by Brian Collins : 05-03-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to subscribe!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
I enjoy cigars personally. A lot of that has to do with a stress mechanism for me being in combat and all. I know that I could be better at CrossFit by not smoking, but I can't say I would be better at my job as stress management is key.
I also enjoy a good cigar now and then. I think smoking one daily would probably impact us but the occasional cigar is no worse than the air pollution in the SLC area during the winter inversion.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #20
Graeme Marshall

Profile:

i used to be a smoker and a XC mtn bike racer, it wouldn't be un common for me and my sponsor to be sitting on the start line sucking down a Winfield Red which is a 16mg cigarette, then at the end of a 3 to 5 lap race we'd be more concerned where the person who had the smokes was than pretty much anything. Whilst it was holding back my performance, it was a head F$%K to every other rider on the startline that we could be smoking minutes before the start and even more demoralising when we went by them... no i don't smoke and feel really good...