CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Wendy Nelson

Profile:
Smoking While CFing ?

Not smoking like a 2 minute Fran but actually smoking those nasty cigarettes. I have a friend who is going to give CrossFit a try and she smokes. I can't imagine smoking and CFing...anyone out there able to do both? Hopefully she will quit after a while but those first few months could be ugly. She lives in Portland Oregon.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Zachary Welsh

Profile:
Re: Smoking While CFing ?

I smoked for the first 30 days of CF and had to stop. It came down to me almost passing out a couple times to really force me to stop. You have to really look at do you want to get healthy or do you want to sabotage your own progress. I just couldn't do it anymore. I needed healthier lungs to even try Barbara......
Old 03-16-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
Pedro Nabais

Profile:

I would recomend to stop the smoking but I've known of elite soccer players who smoked (altough not much) during their career and it didn't hurt their performance, I can post a link to an article if you like.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Seems like whichever one she wants more will crowd the other one out. If she likes CF, she'll probably notice the impact of her smoking and cut back on her own.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

She won't quit unless she wants to, don't even bother asking her to. But I'm really only commenting to relate a story:

I went Mt. Biking with this guy once, and after about 20-30 mins we stopped to take a breather, he smoked a cigarette! I could not believe I was watching a cigarette break in the middle of a mt. biking session.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Jonathan A Wood

Profile:

I CF and also run alot I do care about my health but unfortunately I do smoke. I have tried quiting three times an have failed it is one of the hardest things out there to do.

I'm not going to say its impossible to CF and smoke it is but you will never reach your highest potential as athlete untill you do. I think that is what bothers me the most about it is the fact that one day the only thing that might hold me back from a 3 min Fran to a 4 min Fran is not my training or how hard I have pushed but my lifestyle.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I was just thinking recently how funny it is to see active people smoking! Like, see somebody walk out of the gym and light up. Or skiiers/boarders standing by the lift line puffing away! bizarre

Of course you can smoke and be an athlete, but as Jonathon says you will not be likely to reach your highest potential while smoking.

Not to mention, it might just kill you.

Plus cigs are expensive - you could be spending that money on beef and kettlebells.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Harley Jennings

Profile:

I enjoy cigars personally. A lot of that has to do with a stress mechanism for me being in combat and all. I know that I could be better at Crossfit by not smoking, but I can't say I would be better at my job as stress management is key.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

Great feedback, thanks all!

It looks like she will be able to get going with CF even though she is smoking. When I remember fondly (<--not!) my first few months of CF reaching for a cigarette just does not fit. She is fiercely competitive so I am hoping she will quit sooner rather than later. Luckily for her she is still young too. Itís a tough habit to quit but CrossFit is a life changing experience so if anything can make it happen I would bank on CF.

Jonathon , I see your join date is recent so donít abandon hope of quitting. I quit many years ago and I honestly could not even put a number to my failed attempts.

Thanks again to all who kicked in the feedback I wonít be so worried about her as she gets started!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Robbie Cooper

Profile:

My marathon canoe racing partner is a smoker. During the 262-mile non-stop Texas Water Safari race, we finished in 78 hours. My partner smoked at least 4 packs of cigarettes during the race. While still paddling.

I just kept shaking my head as we'd go by other racers and they'd stare in disbelief that my bowman had a lit Marlboro hanging from his lips...