CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #51
Gavin Steel

Profile:
Re: Your weird habits.

My wife tells me on an almost daily basis I'm weird.....

I only eat cold toast, I stand 2 bits on end forming a pyramid shape so it cools without the underside getting soggy...dont have a toast rack...

If Im eating bacon it has to be cooked and no more then left to go cold.

I turn my plate around to cut my food, I dont move or turn my steak etc, its the plate that gets moved so what I want to eat is at the front facing me.

I love music, when I hear a really good song I get a tingle down my spine and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (wife has never experienced this).

When I shower I wash one body part at a time and rinse, ie do my right arm, rinse, then left arm and rinse...I take ages....

I wont eat anything past the use by date, this for me is gospel no matter what common sense may be telling me.

I can have huge conversations with myself in my head...particularly if Im going into something likely to be argumentative. I play the conversation out in my head, what Im going to say and what the replies may be to try and prep for it when in reality the persons retorts could be anything at all...

I find Im talking to myself out loud more, particularly when shopping...its starting to worry me
Old 12-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #52
Patrick Janes

Profile:

I found most of what you wrote fairly mainstream, gavin... not that that would discount your habits being weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Steel View Post
My wife tells me on an almost daily basis I'm weird.....
not at all unusual, in my experience.

Quote:
I only eat cold toast, I stand 2 bits on end forming a pyramid shape so it cools without the underside getting soggy...dont have a toast rack...
my ex-wife used to do that; she got so used to *having* to eat cold toast after the birth of our first two kids (before my time, but they're just as mine as mine), that she came to like it that way.

Quote:
I turn my plate around to cut my food, I dont move or turn my steak etc, its the plate that gets moved so what I want to eat is at the front facing me.
I do that too.

Quote:
I love music, when I hear a really good song I get a tingle down my spine and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (wife has never experienced this).
yup, me too; in fact, I'd feel like I was missing out if it wasn't this way.

Quote:
When I shower I wash one body part at a time and rinse, ie do my right arm, rinse, then left arm and rinse...I take ages....
ok, that's kinda weird; and the water-wise environmentalist in me is cringing.

Quote:
I find Im talking to myself out loud more, particularly when shopping...its starting to worry me
again, I do that all the time; I sit at my desk most of the time and talk stuff out to myself; when I'm not singing.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #53
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse R james View Post
When I eat food...I always eat things in their own little groups. Not sure why, but if there are 5 things on the plate...then I eat each one completely before moving to another. Steak, broccoli, mashed cauliflower, and salad? Each part eaten by itself before moving on to the next.
I'm just the opposite, I am constantly eyeballing the ratios of the portions of different foods to make sure that at the end a measured even proportion of each thing on the plate remains with one bite of each left, so they all finish at the same time. Even a bowl of say multi-colored cereal like fruit loops as a kid or M&Ms, I keep the ratio even.

Last edited by James R. Climer : 12-12-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #54
Sean Dunston

Profile:

For the record-

All y'all are pretty weird!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #55
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Whitehead View Post
I

I twirl my hair when I'm really concentrating or sleepy. I've done it since I was a baby. My nephew does it, too. He's only 4. I hope he grows out of it.

I play with my ears when I'm sleepy, stressed, or concentrating. I've done it since I was a baby as well. My mom said I would go to sleep rubbing my ear. During particularly stressful times I have been known to rub little sores on them! As a result my ears are REALLY flexible. I can tuck the top portion into th inner/canal portion of my ear! It's my stupid human trick.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #56
Chris Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Head View Post
On the twitching thing....slight hijack for a minute:

I get the violent twitch when I am about to fade to sleep. Used to happen in class alot. It gets some fun looks.

Main twitching time is at night before deep sleep and during sleep too. What is it? I'm talking sometimes violent twitches that would and has done some damage to the girlfriend. I have noticed a correlation though. Harder workout periods = more frequent violent jerks and twitches. Easier weeks = less. ??? Any idea?

Hijack over...
Brandon--this has several names (not sure which is totally accurate). Myoclonic jerks (I think that one's a bit off), somnolescent starts, or hypnic jerks. It's very common. We read about it once in Social Psych class way back when. It stuck in my head because I've always done it too. For me, it's generally accompanied by a dream sequence that triggers it (a common one is tripping off a curb or stair and needing to kick my leg out to catch myself--and my leg actually kicks out, violently). I've given gfs a couple bruises as well.

Found a good little discussion on them here (wfs): http://www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/messages/31391.html

Most pertinent point: "It can also be made worse with stress and fatigue." Thus the WOD correlation.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #57
Chris Scott

Profile:

Sweet, Gavin! I do the plate-turn too, and I definitely get chills from good music. Also moving performances of just about anything (movies, dance, even a really good painting). And I get an AWESOME goosebump reaction after a great meal. Does anyone else have a physical reaction to good food like this?

I wait tables and tend bar, and when I'm waiting tables and I've really got a lot of tables and there's a lot I'm keeping in my head, I sometimes have to talk myself through it. It's pretty common among servers.

Between the talking to yourself and reaction to music, it sounds like you my be an aural person/aural learner.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #58
Ben Chapman

Profile:

I scold myself when I'm working out and have to break up a set, or stop to breathe for a tic, verbally, I get quite upset with me.

When I eat skittles, I make sure I have as close to equal amounts of all colors in each mouthful, so that I get the full range of flavors each time... I do the same thing with M&Ms, which makes much less logical sense.

When I peel an orange, I always slice longitudinally on the skin in quarters and have to remove EVERY little sinew off the juicy part before eating it.

I CANNOT eat sushi with soy sauce on it.

When I'm driving behind a car on the highway, I pretend I'm flying close-trail formation with them and try as hard as I can to minimize closure and separation.

whenever I'm standing still, instead of crossing my arms, I just place my hands in front of me over my stomach and hold my right wrist with my left hand. People tell me it I look like I've hurt my wrist or something the way I hold it.

If I eat peanut butter off a spoon, the spoon MUST be licked clean, no sign of PB anywhere on it, or I don't put it down.

Whenever I'm done with a shower, I HAVE to wipe as much of the water off my body in the shower before ever grabbing a towel. My hands are efficient little squeegies.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #59
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Sisson View Post
I play with my ears when I'm sleepy, stressed, or concentrating. I've done it since I was a baby as well. My mom said I would go to sleep rubbing my ear. During particularly stressful times I have been known to rub little sores on them! As a result my ears are REALLY flexible. I can tuck the top portion into th inner/canal portion of my ear! It's my stupid human trick.
ditto! (even on the stupid human trick)
Old 12-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #60
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chapman View Post
Whenever I'm done with a shower, I HAVE to wipe as much of the water off my body in the shower before ever grabbing a towel. My hands are efficient little squeegies.
Same. I feel it saves on towels. ^_^