CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Jack Melo

Profile:
i've been into this sport for almost a month now, i've been into weightlifting for ten years and it is only now that i've realized that I am not that strong as I thought I was :lol: now I have a lot of big questions for you guys, is it better that I should let go of lifting weights and concentrate more on learning how to lift my own weight? what are the exercises that you think can make me ligth as a leaf and as strong as a bull, because from what I know this is how it should be in capoeira. I'm 5'10, 160-165lbs.

for those who don't know what capoeira is, here's a link for you guys (check out the videos):

http://www.capoeiratexas.com/web/VBatizado.html

Old 01-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Jack,
Rules for all you link-posters: (From the announcements section)

1. Include the subject of the link in the message text.
2. Indicate if it's not work safe/family friendly in the message title.
3. Provide a sentence or two that summarizes if the subject is not clearly explanatory.

Moving to Fitness.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Smart weight training will be beneficial for bodyweight based activities. Incorrect weight training can be detrimental (added mass without functional use). This is more of a factor at the elite levels of the sport.

There are no specific exercises that will make you strong and light, but more a concept behind the training. Low rep and heavy will tend to maximize reduction in strength deficit (muscle girth to strength ratio) and a moderate weight moderate rep scheme will give some growth while continuing to build good strength. My advice for gymnastics related activities is a good combination of these two realms. It will give you the strength needed for the activities while not making you too big.

Look at the Oly lifts. These will be fantastic for your capoeira.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Andrew Peterson

Profile:
Having trained Capoeira for five years I agree with Roger's assessment. As you have probably figured out by now, Capoeira emphasizes the legs, hips, lower back, and shoulders. Olympic lifts should be able to help you with this. Also, I found that intense Capoeira training alone(5+ times/week) left me with a muscular imbalance, which I believe contributed to my knee pain. Since I have started Crossfit, my knee pain has disappeared.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #5
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Ligth as a feather and strong as a bull? Well, I'd say cut the reps of the you sets and increase the weight. Maintain your current strength by working on a 3x3 protocol. I've gained alot of extra strength with this program, without bulking up the least. Focus on the capoeira, and lift when you have the time, motivation and energy. That'll give a natural periodization.

Put some focus on C&P. This is the lift I think have the best carry-over to capoeria. Throw in some lunges and one-legged squats and you'll be 98% there.

But let it be secondary. If you've fallen in love with capoeria, focus on that and don't be afraid to take a break from the weights. Won't do you no harm.
You've been lifting for 10 years, so if you pause for a longer period and regret, you'll be able to regain your former strength pretty fast anyway.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
Jack Melo

Profile:
thanks for the replies guys :-)

andrew what did you do in order for your knee pain to dissappear? was it only in the beggining or did it come back every now and then? i kinda have the same problem too, jumpers knee.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Gittit Shwartz

Profile:
Jack,
Look up my Capoeira teacher, Ido Portal (Professor Missionario from Cordao de Ouro Israel). He's posted here and on the Performance Menu and also has a couple of articles there on queda de rins training.
I've been Ido's student for nearly six years now. Two years ago he realized a dream by opening an "academia" devoted to Capoeira, complete with a gym for sport-specific strength training, acrobatics mats and equipment, etc. The advanced students do olympic lifts, gymnastics training and crossfit-style workouts, all designed to improve our performance in Capoeira.
I'm biased as his student, but you'll find people singing his praises both as a Capoeira teacher and as a strength coach. He really is extraordinary.
Here are some links to start with (work and family safe):
http://idoportal.blogspot.com - Ido's blog.
http://www.hacasa.co.il - our website (mostly under construction).
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
Andrew Peterson

Profile:
Jack,

Re: the knee pain

It came later after I had been training exclusively in Capoeira for a while. I noticed that it would decrease if I added squats to my workout. I believe the knee pain came from some of the leg muscles being stronger than others and creating a pulling effect which was compounded by the Capoeira workouts. I suggest that you take it easy with the workouts (especially at first), and add/continue the Crossfit workouts to maintain overall muscle strength.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
John Belaya

Profile:
Re: Capoeira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Melo View Post
i've been into this sport for almost a month now, i've been into weightlifting for ten years and it is only now that i've realized that I am not that strong as I thought I was :lol: now I have a lot of big questions for you guys, is it better that I should let go of lifting weights and concentrate more on learning how to lift my own weight? what are the exercises that you think can make me ligth as a leaf and as strong as a bull, because from what I know this is how it should be in capoeira. I'm 5'10, 160-165lbs.

for those who don't know what capoeira is, here's a link for you guys (check out the videos):

http://www.capoeiratexas.com/web/VBatizado.html
Hey Jack! Currently I'm in the PH for a month vacation. Will you help me out finding CF gym?!

Last edited by John Belaya : 04-30-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: missing words
Old 04-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
Re: Capoeira

I cant think of a better resource then gymnastic bodies (http://gymnasticbodies.com WFS) for learning bodyweight exercises.