CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Faith Reynado

Profile:
Need Advice...Old Habits Die Hard

For the past year, and most especially the last 5 months, I've been pretty much yo-yo dieting between Zone and lots of late-night overeating. I've failed so many times that it seems nearly impossible for me to get back on the wagon for a consistent period of time.

Basically, here's the deal: I do well on the Zone throughout the day, staying strict from breakfast till dinner, then out of habit and sometimes hunger, end up eating whatever's available in the kitchen. Though I do keep the junk out of the house, I still overeat on fruit/nuts/zone bars, etc. I'm so desperate to get back to my original composition that I've been going to my block prescription of 8 blocks a day, because while some say the minimum is 10, the 8 block prescription is what got me to my desired body composition in the very first place before the yo-yo dieting began.

I feel so uncomfortable with the extra weight I've put on, but because of my past patterns, I can't find the motivation/confidence to get back on track. It felt so much easier to get on the wagon then to fall off and get back on!

Any advice would be SO appreciated!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Rachel Izzo

Profile:
Re: Need Advice...Old Habits Die Hard

There is NO WAY 8 blocks is nearly enough food. No way. If that's what the zone is saying, then ditch it and do something else. Go paleo. Even with extra hidden calories, I doubt 8 blocks is much more than 1000 calories, and I doubt that's even close to your BMR. Going below your BMR is not good! You may be hungrier at night because you're not eating enough during the day. It's better to eat more throughout the day than to eat a ton at night out of hunger.

But seriously, 8 blocks is starvation.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Jason Unovitch

Profile:

Agreed with Rachel, your body is smarter than you think and it is telling you something here... It's starving.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

8 blocks, if I'm not mistaken, is the minimum prescribed meal plan for females in Journal #21 (?). You are not that tiny. Or if you are, you need more food anyways. Tomorrow's workout for you is one elk killed and eaten for time.

Do you honestly want to feel attached to a body size which means constant hunger?

How much do you weigh?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
Lou Cabales

Profile:

how much water are you drinking???
how many meals throughout day?
what times do you eat?
what kind of carbs are you eating?
can we see your food log?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

The zone website advocates no one under 11 blocks a day.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:39 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Do you mean 8 blocks per meal?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:52 AM   #8
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

I "N-tuple" the you aren't eating enough...

Buy a zone cook book, eat at least 11 blocks a day, and spread the meals out so that one is LATE at night (with no more than 5 hours between meals, blah, blah, blah)...

I eat my dinner meal at 8:30 at night!!

Additionally, you talk about being super lean again, and I believe (personal opinion) that is a very BAD focus for someone mentally. Focus on being healthy and seeing performance gains. Keep a workout log. If your workouts aren't getting worse you need to focus on the building blocks of the pyarmid including your diet. Maybe its too lean...

And lastly, its NOT a diet... its a way of life, diets, persay, are NOT maintainable!!

Just my thoughts :-)

(PS - research has shown that eating late at night isn't "bad" for you, but for most people who eat late at night they have already eaten enough calories in the day, so eating late at night when its just "extra" food IS bad for you, i.e. causes you to put on weight).

Last edited by Karin Jonczak : 09-04-2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: typos of course!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

yeah, no wonder you are 'breaking down' at night and binge-eating, when you starve yourself throughout the day. 8 blocks of food is not enough for a sedentary grandma, never mind a young, strong, cross-fitting woman!

gosh I couldn't even survive on the recommended mininum of what 11 blocks? The zone is too low calorie to begin with, then you add salt to the wound by cutting the blocks down further!

Eat up! Seriously, forget the scale (kitchen AND bathroom) and take a couple of weeks to just eat. Eat all the things you are supposed to (meat, veg, fruit, nuts, oils etc.) and avoid things that will confuse your hunger signals (processed food/sugar/white flour type things)

And then, LISTEN. Listen to your body. If you are hungry eat, when you are not hungry don't eat. Don't watch a clock, take the time to just get in tune with your body.

Unless you do something, you will be stuck in this cycle of starving/binging and you will never get anywhere.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
Daniel Mays

Profile:

First off, I'd say that the Zone-Bar is a candy bar with the right proportions of macro nutrients. Not the worst thing to eat, but it will make you hungrier in my experience.

Secondly, You stated that you would overeat on zone bars, fruits, nuts, and didn't mention meat. Your body is probably starved for protein if your on 8 blocks(I highly don't recommend this) and your feeding it nuts and carbs.

A nice late night snack which worked for my mother over the summer (not on Zone but has craving at times) and for me is either 3 oz tuna fish in mayonnaise(FULL FAT) or a piece of 3oz grilled chicken and a big old salad with FULL FAT dressing. Try replacing your before bed snack with these meals and see how they go, if your eating a Zone bar as your 8 o'clock snack then that would be a reason why your hungry afterwards.

If you can do good during the day, maybe you should up to 11-12 blocks, not sure about your stats, and you can partition some blocks from breakfast to the late night snack, so you have a dinner then a mini dinner to help you through your hard time of the day.

A couple thoughts on how you can deal with this, I also was(am sometimes) a late night eater(binger), and it was the hardest obstacle for me to overcome on a way to a better diet.

Danny