CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Jenna Dodge

Profile:
61% calories from fat - is that normal?

So...i've just started tracking my nutrition info in Fitday. I'm on day 8 of the Zone and only sort of paying attention to my fat intake (obviously). I'm honestly trying to count blocks, and I do really well with snacks, but when it comes to making veggies I have a habit of sauteing them, and I love olive oil.

So, it turns out that today I consumed 61% of my calories from fat. My day looked like this:

Snack 1:
1/2 c strawberries, 1/4 c blueberries, 1 oz free range chicken, 6 almonds ('cause the chicken is practically fat free and i love almonds)

breakfast:
4.5 oz salmon pan seared in a bit of olive oil, 2 c. (raw) broccoli sauteed in said olive oil, 9 oz. cantaloupe, 1/4 cup blueberries, 9 cashews

lunch:
large salad with 2 oz chicken breast, 1 hard boiled egg, carrots, celery, 2 T dressing (so about 1 T olive/flax oil mix) 28 grams of 91% cocoa chocolate

snack: 1.5 oz deli-style turkey, 1/2 grapes, 6 almonds (again, turkey is practically fat free).

dinner:
chicken salad on greens: 3 oz chicken, 1 T canola mayo, 1/2 apple, 1 cup celery, bit of onion over lots of lettuce. About 1-2 T dressing and a couple of pieces of dark chocolate (on the side of course)

snack: 2 cups (raw) broccoli sauteed in a bit of olive oil with 1 oz cheese and 6 cashews

I honestly think i've upped my carb intake and cut down on fat intake since starting the zone. My protein is at 24%, carbs at 15%. I also think I have cut down on protein since starting the zone. I feel fine, but is it weird that my fat intake is so high? Usually it's more like around 50-55% but I think that dark chocolate at lunch threw me over the top.

What do you think? I just don't know if I can cut that fat intake in half. It's so yummy. Is it worth doing for a week or two to try? My bf is 22% (or maybe even less now), and I'm a 12 blocker, though I almost never get all 12 blocks in a day.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: 61% calories from fat - is that normal?

Jenna;

I like your numbers and your food intake as listed, it's not in the Zone proportions, but hey, if it's working, try it for a few months.

What are your goals, are you on track to acheive them, then tweak diet. My fat intake is always 50-60, Protein around 30ish, Carbs under 20 once I subtract Fiber. Numbers are percentage.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:

I consume 50-70% of my calories from fat, depending on a couple of different things. So no worries.

If you are new to the zone, I would recommend going strict zone (1:1:1 of P:C:F) until you hit the bodyfat you want. Then bump up your fat blocks (1:1:3 or 1:1:4) until you find the point at which your weight plateaus.

Glad to hear that you like fat, I just spent 15 minutes re-educating a client to think that fats are good and starches are bad.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Thanks guys! It's good to hear that I'm not a freak....well, at least when it comes to fat intake!

gosh I don't even know what my body fat goals are. I think I look great (i'm not trying to be conceited, that's just the truth, and I don't always think this way). Maybe my performance could be better, but I'm new to crossfit. I've only been doing this for 6 weeks now.

I'm at 22% Body fat, via waist/hip measurement. Does anybody have any idea what really kick-*** crossfit chicks have for body fat %?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Most extremely athletic women are down in the low teens in BF%. Possibly single digits although you may definitely start losing your breasts if you do go that far (probably not recommended).
Old 03-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Rettenmayer View Post
I think I look great (i'm not trying to be conceited, that's just the truth, and I don't always think this way).
Jenna, based on Steve's correct observations that your breasts are going to disappear, along with your comments that you look marvelous, I'd really like some before and after pictures. You can start first with the "before" pics.

Thanking you in advance. BTW, all the hot CF chicks have done this. Ask Steve.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

This thread got interesting pretty quick here.

I'm just going to add in on top of what Peter said that while the ratios of BLOCKS should be 1:1:1 until you hit whatever goal you're looking for, the actual percentages should be 40-30-30 based on the block chart (fitday will always be off due to the "hidden" calorie factor. Don't stress over this.)

I remember when I first started with diet and nutrition and getting thrown off when someone said 1:1:1 once.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Well I guess I'll have to suck it up and go light (1:1:1) on the fat for a couple of weeks to see what happens. I don't know if i'll be able to bring myself to eat a salad with only 1 T of olive oil on it! Oh, this diet is rough!

My goal....to be like Nicole. Although i'm not sure she's human. Okay, really, my goal is to be able to perform really well - I want to do be able to do 40-50 pullups (ha, right!), DL 2 X BW (123ish), Squat i'm not sure what but more than I do right now, run a sub 20 min 5k, and still look like a girl (which means keep the breasts - they've already gotten smaller from starting CF/losing weight as a result). I can't imagine being under, like, 17% bf but maybe....I'm getting underwater weighed tomorrow morning so we'll see how fat I officially am.

I'm working on finding a photo for ya. haha.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep ya'll updated.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Jenna, based on Steve's correct observations that your breasts are going to disappear, along with your comments that you look marvelous, I'd really like some before and after pictures. You can start first with the "before" pics.

Thanking you in advance. BTW, all the hot CF chicks have done this. Ask Steve.
Who is Steve?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

Steven Low.