CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #111
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Re: Crossfit is the best program for Bodybuilding

The big thing that gets me about this whole bodybuilding as compared to CrossFit is the disdain frequintly shown for bodybuilding. Sport is sport and fitness is fitness. I believe we should encourage and support anyone who makes the time to exercise and eat well. Perhaps they have different goals than us. We know what we know and should share it freely but looking down on others for not valueing it how we do is somewhat pretentious. Like in sports...prove it in the gym, or at the CrossFit games, or a weighlifting meet, etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #112
Daniel Younger

Profile:

for argument's purpose, let's not forget the actors from 300? (I hate to mention it, really I do) For all intents and purposes, they were essentially doing a CF style training program. These dudes were totally ripped and had bb-esque physiques.

I think there's definitely room to pursue both crossfit and a supplimental bb program... i.e. do the WOD and then spend some time on more isolation exercises, bench, curls, etc.

Crossfit definitely facilitates a lot of potential for growth. As stated, the back, the legs. I didn't read the whole post, but what about shoulders? All of the press techniques have jacked my shoulders up way more than isolation exercises would.

Essentially, lifting heavy weights, regardless of the intent behind it, stimulates muscle growth, and is thereby more or less bodybuilding. At least as I see it.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #113
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

it's the whole "getting really tan and oiled and wearing a thong while having your physique judged by other guys" thing about body buidling that really turns me off to it.

Regradless of whether or not Body Builders are strong, they are not judged on performance and I think thats the what most CFers have a problem with. I know it's what bothers me.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #114
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Holy crap I thought this thread was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Younger View Post
for argument's purpose, let's not forget the actors from 300? (I hate to mention it, really I do) For all intents and purposes, they were essentially doing a CF style training program. These dudes were totally ripped and had bb-esque physiques.
If you're going to bring this up, it should be noted that Gerard Butler did extra work with a bodybuilder in addition to his gym jones training.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #115
michael Galietta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bruce Mailman View Post
Isn't it also written somewhere else on the site that (to paraphrase) "We do what you do almost as well as you, we do everything else better then you, and you can't do what we do"?

Crossfit isn't a bodybuilding programme. We can't do what they do as well as they do- but we can do a lot of other things better. And to be honest, I'd hate to look like Ronnie Coleman anyway.
I like the above quote, Michael. The original post asked "what is best for muscle growth?" It seems to me if muscle growth is the number one goal that would be "specializing." CF is more general and is balancing ten attributes at once. Mass (I don't think) is one of them.

I think (as a relative newbie) if all I wanted was size I would not be doing CF. Why run a 10k for example?

Bodybuilders will have bigger hammies (and bigger muscles all over) than most CF'ers because they train for hypertrophy primarily.

I am not looking for mass alone...I have had enough of the typical BB workouts. I like to aim for what I can do rather than how I look.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #116
Daniel Younger

Profile:

<quote> If you're going to bring this up, it should be noted that Gerard Butler did extra work with a bodybuilder in addition to his gym jones training.</quote>

right that's true, but he wasn't the only actor with a pretty impressive physique in the movie, and also that ties in with what i was saying about employing a few more classic bb exercises post WOD.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #117
michael Galietta

Profile:

To me, some of the 300 physiques looked digitally enhanced.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 AM   #118
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

This is all so 2008
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #119
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
it's the whole "getting really tan and oiled and wearing a thong while having your physique judged by other guys" thing about body buidling that really turns me off to it.
Yeah, if you're like me, Skibicki, you only like doing that at home in front of the mirror on a lonely Friday night.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #120
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I admit nothing.

The physiques were enhanced with makeup and digital effects. If you watch closely, you can see changes in the way they look through out the movie. Even so, those actors were still jacked, though I don;t know how long they stayed that way, Butler did not.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 01-02-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Figured i'd add something useful