CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
Carlos Cristan

Profile:
Re: Bumper plate?

So no Hampton bumpers, and avoid Ivanko altogether. So that narrows me down to Eleiko, Kraiburgs, and York
Old 01-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I think Chapman has bumpers as well. I'm not familiar with those, but I know a several people here do. Good luck
Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Stephan Marcella

Profile:

You may want to give Glenn at Witchita Falls Weightlifting a call (http://store.wfwclub.com/index.html) or Jason at Wright's Rubber (http://www.wrightexercise.com/site/p...&SubCatID=179#) both are w/f/s.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I would definitely NOT use 10's plus iron. Matter of fact, I'd recommend the minimum size you use on the bar (even by themselves) is 25's. 10's will bend and bounce weird angles, and also could break.

If you want "cheap" small plates, buy some nylon training plates. They can be had for about $50 a pair at Jesup Gym Equipment.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #15
Sean Dunston

Profile:

We use Kraiburg bumpers (in pounds, not kilos) at our affiliate.
Five 45# plates on each end of a bar for a 495# lift leaves a little room at each end.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #16
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Quote:
Jason at Wright's Rubber (http://www.wrightexercise.com/site/p...&SubCatID=179#) both are w/f/s.
These are what I have and they are very good quality and the service is excellent. The shipping is amazingly fast!!

Quote:
I would definitely NOT use 10's plus iron. Matter of fact, I'd recommend the minimum size you use on the bar (even by themselves) is 25's. 10's will bend and bounce weird angles, and also could break.
Like Matt said, I wouldn't drop anything under 25lbs

Right from the BFS website
Quote:
*(10 lb. Bumpers - Teaching Only - Do Not Drop)
Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #17
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
10lb bumpers...

We sell 2 versions of 10lb plate.

One is made by Hi-Tech plates, and is pretty much unbreakable, and will not bounce funny or bend at all. We have literally THROWN them at the floor with a total of 100 extra pounds of iron on the bar (2 25lb plates on each side) with no problems. They are significantly superior to any other training plate I have seen. They are made from a nylon-like material through a process that is patent pending and unlike any other plate. The downside is they are $119 a pair. They are worth it, but it is a little pricey.

The second 10lb plate we sell is a rubber plate made by the same manufacturer as the Wright rubber plates that many of you are probably familiar with. These are much less expensive ($25 per pair) and are still pretty good plates. When we first got them into the gym, I told the first kid to use them that I would buy him a bottle of Gatoraid if he could break them, he didnt break them even with some pretty heavy duty dropping with 10-15lbs of metal on each side of the bar outside the plate. To date, none have been broken in my gym. That having been said, based on my observation of these plates vs. other plates that I have seen used for years and either break or not break, I would not call these plates a "lifetime investment" like the Hi-Tech plates. With enough abuse, they will probably eventually have problems. They also wobble on the bar a little, and do tend to bounce "funny".

The question is really price vs. quality. If I was buying one pair for my gym, and had the money, I would go for the Hi-Tech option. If you are having to buy 10 pairs for a gym, and cant swing $1000+ for training plates, obviously you would want to go with the rubber ones. Even if one breaks a year from now, its not expensive to replace.

What do I have in my gym? We currently have 2 sets of the Hi-Tech plates, because I couldnt afford any more than that. We have 6 or 7 additional sets of the rubber ones, and like I said, other than a little more wobble on the bar and a little bending and "funny bouncing" they have performed fine and I am happy with them.

It just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. You cant beat the Hi-Tech plates for quality, and you really cant get a better value for your dollar than the rubber ones, they perform adequately and are very inexpensive.

Glenn
Old 01-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
We use Kraiburg bumpers (in pounds, not kilos) at our affiliate.
Five 45# plates on each end of a bar for a 495# lift leaves a little room at each end.
I have two cheap 7' oly bars. The sleeves are 15.5 inches in length. Im not sure which bar your using, but on mine I'd only be able to fit 4 - 45# bumpers at 3.4 in wide and maybe a 10# bumber on the end at 1 in wide for a total of 425#. I have been actively looking at bumpers and bars but I haven't found any sights that mention sleeve length specifically. Do higher quality bars like Pendlay or York have longer sleeve lengths or this standard.