CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
"Make your own" series. Part II - trail mix

Ok, we discussed making your own bread, what sort of ingredients, that discussion is still ongoing I think, and still requires "field data" from one of us to bake something and try it.

But, in my latest quest to have easily accessible snack meals for the zone, I'm looking to make my own trail mix. Here's some things I'm looking for:

Tastes good
As close to 1:1 ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3's as possible
PLENTY of good fats
Sufficient fiber
Some carbs (but not just raisins or sesame sticks or something, I may even put in a few M&M's, but they aren't going to be the primary source).
If you can get a complete protein in it, all the more better, but it doesn't have to be.
If you can get it balanced at a 9:7 ratio of available carbs to a complete protein, you'd be my hero. If it requires going ultra high in the grams of fat to do so, GO FOR IT. Fat's hard to come by these days, and it'll help limit snacking too.
If we can avoid or very very very severly limit peanuts or peanut butter products, I'd like to avoid them due to concern about aflatoxins, not to mention they just don't taste all that swell in large quantities.

I've heard suggestions for almonds and cashews, which I'll probably put in, but I also heard they have lots of Omega 6's and not much Omega 3's, which is a slight concern, if I can keep that ratio good, I'd rather do that.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: "Make your own" series. Part II - trail mix

You must have not baked my bread, as I make it every weekend, it sells out immediately via myself or friends (free of course for now).

Walnuts are 5:1, omega-6:3. Macadamia nuts are 6:1, but in much lower amounts. Cashews are not a nut, but a seed. They are almost 95% omega-6. Almonds are all omega-6.

Why a 1:1, omega-6:3? You aren't going to get enough omega-3s in just a trail mix unless you lace it with flaxseed oil (which is 5:1 omega-3:6), or chomp down on flaxseed which isn't very tasty alone.

My mix is just almonds, walnuts, coconut flakes (organic, unsweetened), and dried blueberries (may be hard for some to find, Trader Joe's has them or you can make your own) for a hint of sweetness.

Something you might want to try is salmon pemmican and you'd be able to really up the omega-3 portion with that.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Y

My mix is just almonds, walnuts, coconut flakes (organic, unsweetened), and dried blueberries (may be hard for some to find, Trader Joe's has them or you can make your own) for a hint of sweetness.

Something you might want to try is salmon pemmican and you'd be able to really up the omega-3 portion with that.
Excellent snack ideas, thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Here's a granola recipe I've tried and the kids love:

HOMEMADE GRANOLA

6 cup Oats
1 cup Sesame Seeds
1 cup Sunflower Seeds
1 cup Wheat Germ
1 cup Coconut
1 cup Powdered Milk
1 cup Safflower Oil
1 cup Honey
2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Raisins
1 cup Chopped Nuts (walnuts and pecans work great)
Mix first seven ingredients in large bowl. Combine safflower oil, honey and vanilla in blender container. Process until well blended. Add to dry ingredients, mixing well. Spread in two large baking pans. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour or until brown, stirring frequently. Mix in raisins.

let it cool before you break it up

I subbed a low-carb protein powder for the powdered milk. Not sure if this meets your requirements for protein and OFA's but you can figure it out on nutritiondata.com
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
You must have not baked my bread, as I make it every weekend, it sells out immediately via myself or friends (free of course for now).

Walnuts are 5:1, omega-6:3. Macadamia nuts are 6:1, but in much lower amounts. Cashews are not a nut, but a seed. They are almost 95% omega-6. Almonds are all omega-6.

Why a 1:1, omega-6:3? You aren't going to get enough omega-3s in just a trail mix unless you lace it with flaxseed oil (which is 5:1 omega-3:6), or chomp down on flaxseed which isn't very tasty alone.

I just figured the better O6 to O3 ratio, the better off I'd be. Especially if I'm going to be using this as a major source of fat in my diet.

And yes, I still have to try to make that bread, been just a tad bit hectic lately.