CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #531
Scott Baynton

Profile:
Re: Breyers every night (seriously), explain this

Ian, they actually did analyze the subjects' excrement every day during the study. I wish I had the source but I don't remember the name of the researchers nor the title. But I'm not making it up.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #532
Paul Shortt

Profile:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jun29.html wfs
Old 08-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #533
Teemu Teekkari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
Fat is not "absorbed" into fat cells. Body fat is synthesized in the liver and delivered to fat cells by an insulin mechanism.
This is incorrect. Enterocytes absorb fat from the small intestine and pack it into chylomicrons. Chylomicrons then transport the fat to adipose tissue.

Quote:
Eating fat will not make you fat, per se.
This is correct. Eating too many calories makes you fat.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #534
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Yes, but Chylomicrons transport exogenous lipids to the liver, where their triglyceride components are unloaded by the activity of lipoprotein lipase. As a consequence, chylomicron remnants are left over and are taken up by the liver. ANY form of excess calories can be synthesized and stored as body fat.

The article about the calcium link is interesting:
"'Calcitriol sends the fat cells a message to start making more fat and sends another message to slow down the process of fat breakdown and oxidation,' says Zemel, co-author of "The Calcium Key" (Wiley, 2004). Since high calcium levels have been the norm through evolution, the body assumes that food is scarce and conserves when calcium is low in the diet.

BUT there is some contention that milk is not good source of bioavailable calcium (although the dairy industry will deny this to the death), with leafy green vegetables yielding far more bioavailable calcium, so this could potentially bring into question whether the Calcitriol link could the reason some folks lost weight on milk.

In any case, milk and ice cream have been proven effective for GAINING weight in conjunction with progressive resistance training, as per the hundreds of anecdotal cases of GOMAD plus SS documented on these and other forums. Also, according to this study Americans rank 15th in per capita milk consumption and first in cheese consumption on the planet, AND are also the world's most obese nation...

Last edited by Ian Nigh : 08-27-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #535
Scott Baynton

Profile:

Quote:
Also, according to this study Americans rank 15th in per capita milk consumption and first in cheese consumption on the planet, AND are also the world's most obese nation...
That may be true but with the caloric intake of the average American no amount of calcium is going to help prevent obesity. These kind of effects would likely only be observed in those whose daily input is close to their output.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #536
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Also, according to this study Americans rank 15th in per capita milk consumption and first in cheese consumption on the planet, AND are also the world's most obese nation...
Oh, I think that the USA being the #1 calorie consumers per capita has a lot more to do with obesity rates of Americans, than does being #15 per capita in drinking milk.

Yes, apparently sedentary Americans now consumer nearly 3,800 kcal/day. Which is crazy, as I was stressing over upping my kcals to 3000 and I am active as f***.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #537
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Yeah, that was kinda my point, NO amount of milk drinking (or ice cram eatin') will compensate for a lousy diet and sedentary lifestyle.

Of course, most of us on this forum are on a paleo or zone diet (or both!), do alot of CrossFit, and may see a difference from adding milk or ice cream.

Again, though, I don't believe its the calcium at all, but rather the extra fat, protein, and much needed (in our case) calories which help us get in better shape.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #538
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Bringing this one back from the dead.
In February, I went to Colombia for a week and picked up a really bad stomach bug.
When I left the USA I weighed in (on typical mornings) around 180-182#. When I came back, I continued to experience terrible GI issues for a period of about 3 weeks, until I finally got healthy.
That resulted in my weighing in around 172-173# when I weighed myself each morning.
Two Mondays ago I learned that I had been accepted by the NAPF team to compete in the Pan American Championships, in the 83KG class (which is just shy of 183#).
So, in addition to basically dropping metcons, this week I have added 1/4 gallon of milk and a pint of ice cream per day to my diet. Obviously, I am continuing on my powerlifting program for my squat and dead because I am seeing decent progress there, and I switched my bench program -- because my bench is still terrible compared to my squat and deadlift.
The goal is to get up to 186/188# by mid-June, then trim it back to competition weight for the event, which is the first weekend of July.
I'll try to keep up with this thread along the way.
edit-
I tend to eat Haagen Dazs ice cream in the 14 oz container. They say each container has 3.5 servings, and the flavors I tend to eat vary from 250-300 calories per serving - so that one snack is going to be 1000+ calories, and about 70-100g of fat, 20-25g of protein and 70-80g of carbs (due to a relatively high sugar content).

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 04-18-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #539
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Sean, that Hagen Dasz is DE-licious! I am in full support of your efforts!

HD chocolate peanut butter is a favorite in my house! I think that you will find that it will help you pack on the pounds to get back up to your competition weight. I did my box's paleo challenge and dropped about 9 pounds earlier this year, went back to Hagen Dasz an put that weight back on!

If you find it isn't doing the trick, you might need to throw in a Big Mac or two here and there!

I have cut myself off recently, as I have decided to lose the weight again, but I will live vicariously through you! Keep posting pics of your freezer on face book!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #540
Chris Mason

Profile:

Well, carbs are demonized here along with insulin, but the truth is that you nee them to properly fuel intense training. The sugars and additional cals in the ice cream were probably sorely needed for your body to optimally recover from your training and thus you began to see progress on all fronts.