CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
Kawika Bennett

Profile:
shuck, i can't view that as you need to be a member of youtube.
i'm assuming it's a slice um dice um. youtube has two others that i've seen that shoud be noted. the emelda marcos assasination attempt(multiple slashes and thrusts), and the mall attack with the heart thrust.

Kalen very nice post. we must remember the 2400 rule is meant to apply to the simplest techniques, more complex ones require even more.

Mark Dowst, there is a new knife dvd coming out real soon(1-2mo) by marc denny of the dog bro which deals with this major issue. it also covers pistol and some h2h. the dvd is just that a reality check for 95% of the people out there, many of them martial artist/fighters including ones with knife and other weapons training.

there are two simple techniques to deal with the knife. marc denny calls them the fence and the dog catcher. they are 2 of the few that work in real time with real force, real knifes, real intensity.
it would be a great disservice if i snitched this technique especially since the dvd isn't even released so with the pimp in me i endorse the product and there other weapons dvds.
there is a clip of it on there site not sure if it's under knife ruminations or under the dvd itself. he has the technique blurred out.

btw i am only able to pull it off 50% of the time. that is the seriousness of the knife. this means i know he has a weapon and is going to come for me. (guess what happens to the odds when i don't).
i haven't got 2400 yet.

basically find 1-3 techniques that will work in real time because they are simple yet universal. be alert for a weapon,deal with the weapon arm/hand. spar and spar.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 AM   #12
Michael Kircos

Profile:  
This is a perfect example of why everybody needs to know how to throw knives. I always carry a Ninja 3-pak strapped to the inside of my forearm just in case. Actually, I don't but I think I'll start.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:00 AM   #13
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Little known fact: I regularly talk to medical examiners in my job. A 25 year medical examiner related to me she has NEVER seen a knife homicide attributable to slashing/cutting wounds. EVERY knife homicide in Cook County, Illinois (Chicago) has been from stabbing wounds! I worked a case where three people were duct taped and their necks were slashed, multiple times, two of the three died...from asphyxiation due to the duct tape on their mouths and nose, the third survived. Take home lesson...knife fights are survivable, if you fight back, thinking your going to die will make it so. You may need to take a few slash wounds to survive, but you will survive. That being said...400 meter sprints really help in knife fights, so does parkour. Don't engage in stupidity, I see very few reasons to engage in battle, empty handed, with a knife wielding moron. Additionally, if someone pulls a gun on the street, mostly they use it to intimidate...when the knife comes out, it ain't good.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:19 AM   #14
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Larry,

Good points, as usual.

The more I think about it, the more I think Barry Kwon Do (kick them in the shin, run like hell), would work. The thing about running, is you don't know how fast they are. If you tag them in the shin (or better yet, the inside of the ankle or knee, or even the instep), you get at least a 10-15' jump, and they are likely slower running, too. You want to avoid getting caught from the back, so you need a slight advantage.

In the case of a knife, knowing that you can survive slashing attacks, you could actually PRACTICE getting close enough to get cut, but also to deal out an effective inside kick. A basic boxing stance would likely work.

The Japenese call the point just above the knob of the ankle, on the inside, Benki. Benki was a massive monk who killed many people in combat and was known to be immensely strong. It was said getting kicked there would make even him cry.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
John Seiler

Profile:
I always love Larry's on-the-job stories. (My uncle's retired CPD. I'll have ask him for some of his better stories next time I see him.) Nothing like hearing the straight dope from the guys on the street.

I've suffered a nasty self-inflicted cut; it really changes one's perspective on what you're willing to do to avoid a knife fight. I think Barry's right; 10-15' will make all the difference with an attacker who's not in shape. Unless it's personal, they won't be willing/able to chase you very far.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #16
Anthony Cecil

Profile:

Just a further 2 cents on this - the Karl Tanswell S.T.A.B. material (Straight Blast Gym) seemed the most practical knife defence I have ever seen. Although I like practicing Kali more (way more fun), Tanswell's stuff is very very simple and as effective as knife defence ever gets (ironically derived from the greco-roman clinch).

I will be interested to see what Marc Denny has come up with...
Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #17
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Larry,
Thanks for adding your insight here it is exactly the same info we've recieved, and opposite what most people believe a knife attack is like.
Kalen,
At least two other people who have posted to this thread have faced knives, and are still here to post. As you point out it is possible.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:34 AM   #18
andy clark

Profile:  
Anthony,
Just as a side note Karl Tanswell was attacked by two 'joggers' outside his house one morning. They caught him unawares & he was cut/slashed five times around the head & neck. He survived .
1. you will get cut in a knife fight
2. technique without reflex is worthless
3. most knife attacks are survivable
Old 06-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #19
Chuck Kechter

Profile:  
S.T.A.B. is very good...

So is Jerry Wetzel's Red Zone -- best programs out there for knife defense.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #20
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Other little known knife stuff: Grab one of your knifes, look at the blade edge, do the line of your knuckles extend past the blade? If so, your knuckles will hit first when you slash/cut, this will effect the depth of the cut. Just one reason curved blades are better for cutting. A 2 -3" knife will stab through a persons body. Unlike in CSI, it is impossible to tell the length of the knife by the depth of the wound...why? because human tissue is pliant. If I stab hard enough, my fist (holding the knife) will sink into your body, effectively extending the depth of the stab wound. I have seen 2" knifes leave gouge marks on the floor beneath a victims body. Usually the victim is on their back and the idiot is straddling the victim, with the knife in the icepick grip (blade pointed down)...I've seen bruising on the body near the entrance wounds clearly made with the person's fist, sinking into the body. You would be amazed at the damage the body could sustain and still survive...once again, never give up, a very large part of survival is mindset.